Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B885 - Local Government Elections Bill 2015, TSR Green Party
    Local Government Elections Bill 2015

A Bill to introduce Proportional Representation in Local Government in England and Wales

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Definitions
    a. ‘Proportional Representation’ shall be defined as an election where seats other than in individual wards are allocated by the D’Hondt voting system
    b. ‘Council’ shall refer any District, Borough, County or Unitary Authority in England and Wales, except for the Greater London Assembly, or the Welsh Assembly.

2. Council Ward Boundaries
    a. The Boundary Commission shall review and redraw ward boundaries for each Council as defined by the Bill, for completion by 1st January 2020, subject to the provisions of 2b to 2d below.
    b. The number of Councillors to be elected to each Council shall be no fewer than 20 and no more than 50. The Boundary Commission shall take account of the electoral roll in deciding the number for each Council.
    c. Sixty per cent of Councillors, to the nearest whole integer above, shall be elected to individual wards on a first past the post basis.
    d. The remaining Councillors shall be elected by allocation by Proportional Representation by party. This is the same method as used for allocation of London-wide members of the Greater London Assembly.
    e. All Councillors shall be elected once every four years, the whole of each Council being elected together.
    f. The Boundary Commission shall propose the dates of the first election under this Bill for each council, and a statutory instrument will be used to put it into effect.
    g. Any casual vacancies in between the dates of whole council elections shall be filled by the next person on the party list willing and able to take office.

3. Exemptions
    The requirements of section 2 shall not apply if:
    a. The Council is a Parish Council, or only has the same powers as one, as defined by the Local Government Act 1972.
    b. The current number of elected councillors or vacancies as at 1st January 2016 is fewer than twenty.
    c. The Council is to be abolished or merged before 1st April 2022, under which the provisions of the Bill will only take place when a new Council is to be elected.

4. Title and Implementation of the Bill
    a. This Bill will be known as the Local Government Elections Bill 2015
    b. Shall take effect from 1st April 2016.
    c. Shall apply to England and Wales only.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No notes? Why are there explanatory sentences in the legislation itself? (e.g. "This is the same method as used for allocation of London-wide members of the Greater London Assembly." in 2.d)

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This will result in the enlargement of wards in some areas, which particularly in rural areas will inevitably lead to the voices of individual communities not being heard as much in council areas. Also, I don't see the need.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I really don't see the need for this, the current system is more than representative enough. Nay.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    I really don't see the need for this, the current system is more than representative enough. Nay.
    No it isn't. To take my local council as an example the tories won 42% of the vote but got 80% of the seats, UKIP got more votes then the lib dems but the libs got a set and UKIP didn't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.
    Proportional Representation electoral systems are unnecessary for local elections.
    Resubmit this bill for general elections and you'll have an aye.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to list all my issues with PR, but in reality it is just one issue, and it'd be too off topic, but I'm leaning towards nay currently. Local Elections suffer above all from lack of turnout, and lack of general awareness, plus a great deal of corruption in the nomination process to be a candidate for a ward

ReputationRep:
    I'm against proportional representation. This is what we have in France and it creates political instability by sending many parties in local assemblies. It therefore forces them to make coalitions = political manoeuvre.
    Moreover, voting for lists instead of candidates gives a chance to people who would have never been elected because of their lack of proper skills. Many times, a roasted politician implied in several controversies finds a nice retirement by being added on a list, either for the European Parliament or in local assemblies.

FPTP FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm against proportional representation. This is what we have in France and it creates political instability by sending many parties in local assemblies. It therefore forces them to make coalitions = political manoeuvre.
    Moreover, voting for lists instead of candidates gives a chance to people who would have never been elected because of their lack of proper skills. Many times, a roasted politician implied in several controversies finds a nice retirement by being added on a list, either for the European Parliament or in local assemblies.

FPTP FTW
    If I remember correctly, you only have some proportional representation for regional council elections. The elections for all the other councils use the two-round system.Voters can also select the candidates they wish to elect if an open-list system is used, so there would not be the problems you have stated.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I understand the Government will soon be publishing a bill which will, amongst other things, make STV the voting system for local elections.

I urge members to wait for this before making a decision.

ReputationRep:
    I like the basic idea.
    AYE

EDIT: less councillors will save tons of money, and they don't do anything or ever listen to anyone anyway.

2: it could be wise to increase the number of councillors allowed to 100, because in my local area, there are currently about 350 councillors, and we ought to leave some.

3: many people vote independent, rather than for a party. A provision should be made to how this affects proportional representation.

4: if a council has less than 20 members it should be merged anyway, you could add a provision for that.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nay. This will result in the enlargement of wards in some areas, which particularly in rural areas will inevitably lead to the voices of individual communities not being heard as much in council areas. Also, I don't see the need.
    No it wouldn't. It merely changes the way local elections would work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Nay.
    Proportional Representation electoral systems are unnecessary for local elections.
    Resubmit this bill for general elections and you'll have an aye.
    Why not have PR for both?

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, I'd rather have first past the post than proportional rep because coalition government just aren't attractive to me, and I'd like to keep them to a minimum.

And nay to the bill, for reasons already stated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    There are some parts of the country where the local District Council is entirely one party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    I like the basic idea.
    AYE

EDIT: less councillors will save tons of money, and they don't do anything or ever listen to anyone anyway.

2: it could be wise to increase the number of councillors allowed to 100, because in my local area, there are currently about 350 councillors, and we ought to leave some.

3: many people vote independent, rather than for a party. A provision should be made to how this affects proportional representation.

4: if a council has less than 20 members it should be merged anyway, you could add a provision for that.
    Independents can stand in individual wards or for the top-up seats, and this has happened in Scotland (the late Margo MacDonald) and in London (Peter Tatchell).

The under 20 is about practicality of achieving proportionality. Merger could mean somewhere such as the Scilly Isles not having its own council.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    Why not have PR for both?
    That would be more ideal but the general elections are the main one that's needed to change first.
    I'd prefer Single Transferable Vote because its far more proportional but I don't know if everyone's in favour of that.
    However it's worked throughout Ireland.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    That would be more ideal but the general elections are the main one that's needed to change first.
    I'd prefer Single Transferable Vote because its far more proportional but I don't know if everyone's in favour of that.
    However it's worked throughout Ireland.
    General elections changed last term to use mixed-member PR.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    General elections changed last term to use mixed-member PR.
    Ahhh.
    Right.
    Not sure if I prefer PR over STV though....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    There are some parts of the country where the local District Council is entirely one party.
    I'm still not convinced that this is the best way to tackle it. As a Conservative, I take it as my prerogative to stand against all electoral reform.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.