Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EU Sets Labelling Guidelines for Israeli Settlements' Products watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Al Jazeera)
    The European Commission has introduced new labelling guidelines for products produced in illegal Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories.

The measures, published on Wednesday, require that producers must explicitly label products that come from settlements built on land occupied by Israel if they are sold in the European Union (EU).
    source: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...100028754.html

(Original post by BBC News)
    Mandatory indication of origin applies notably to fresh fruit and vegetables, wine, honey, olive oil, eggs, poultry, organic products and cosmetics. Voluntary indication of origin applies to pre-packaged foodstuffs and the majority of industrial products.

For products from West Bank or the Golan Heights that originate from settlements, the expression "Israeli settlement" or equivalent needs to be added, in brackets, for example. So, "product from the Golan Heights (Israeli settlement)" or "product from West Bank (Israeli settlement)" could be used.
    Products from the West Bank not originating from settlements could be labelled "product from Palestine" or "product from West Bank (Palestinian product)".
    source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34786607

Well I wholeheartedly welcome the guidelines

ReputationRep:
    I am quite pro-Israel but I have no problems with this. In fact, by labelling these products as being from the settlements it will allow people with sensible views on Israel to boycott the settlements but not Israel itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Well I wholeheartedly welcome the guidelines
    As do I

lets me know what products to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    As do I

lets me know what products to choose.
    It does make me wonder... why don't the Gazans boycott Israel? In fact, they complain that Israel doesn't do more trade with them.

If the Palestinians themselves won't boycott the Israelis, I don't see why the rest of us should?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    In fact, they complain that Israel doesn't do more trade with them.

If the Palestinians themselves won't boycott the Israelis, I don't see why the rest of us should?
    Now that I didn't know.

But have to agree if Palestinians don't what do we achieve by doing so?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by woIfie)
    It does make me wonder... why don't the Gazans boycott Israel? In fact, they complain that Israel doesn't do more trade with them.

Now that I didn't know.

But have to agree if Palestinians don't what do we achieve by doing so?
    Gaza's land and sea borders, as well as airspace are all controlled by Israel, imports/exports are also controlled by Israel:erm: I think boycotting is not something as easy for them..

ReputationRep:
    Now that I didn't know.
    Well, you know how Hamas is always complaining that Israel doesn't allow enough goods into Gaza? Hamas would be trying to accept less goods, or none, rather than demanding more trade with Israel, if they were boycotting and practicing as they preach.

I personally do want the occupation of the West Bank to end and I personally will not buy products produced in the settlements (except for Ariel, which will be part of Israel after a deal anyway, and Hebron where Jews clearly have a moral right to reside), but the idea pushed by self-described Palestine supporters that we should also boycott Israeli dance troupes and left-wing Israeli filmmakers is just bonkers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Gaza's land and sea borders, as well as airspace are all controlled by Israel, imports/exports are also controlled by Israel:erm: I think boycotting is not something as easy for them..
    Gaza's border with Egypt is not controlled by Israel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.