The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is anyone else doing BTEC and applied to Sussex?

Help for BTEC students looking to apply to Sussex
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am doing a Btec in engineering
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Yup, you're not the only one 😇 I'm doing an extended diploma in applied science and I've applied for biochemistry, still waiting for a response though! What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. I am a first year neuroscience student at the University of Sussex. I came here through clearing with the level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Medical) at grades DDM. This year Sussex have been quite lenient with their entry requirements, probably due to the government lifting the cap on the number of students they can take.

I will warn you though, many other universities do look down on the BTEC, ignore people that tell you that you are not at a disadvantage with the BTEC because the honest truth is that you are.
Ignore UCAS when they say that a BTEC at grade DDD is worth 360 UCAS points (3 A grades at A level) because the half decent universities have their own standards that they adhere to which rarely take UCAS points into consideration.

Other universities are extremely strict when it comes to BTEC, if they say they want DDD or DDD + A in A level biology, they mean it. Unlike with other level 3 qualifications, there is usually little leniency.
I called up many universities during the clearing process, the vast majority turned me down due to being one grade too low.

For anyone on the BTEC applied science course thinking of studying at Sussex, I have one big recommendation.
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR CHEMISTRY. Don't just copy and paste your coursework from Wikipedia, make sure that you can actually perform basic calculations and have some knowledge of biochemistry concepts (organic wouldn't hurt either) otherwise you will find the first year quite hard as much of what you do in your first year of studying life sciences at the University of Sussex is biochemistry related in some way.

Anyway please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.
Original post by Mrcuddles
Hi guys. I am a first year neuroscience student at the University of Sussex. I came here through clearing with the level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Medical) at grades DDM. This year Sussex have been quite lenient with their entry requirements, probably due to the government lifting the cap on the number of students they can take.

I will warn you though, many other universities do look down on the BTEC, ignore people that tell you that you are not at a disadvantage with the BTEC because the honest truth is that you are.
Ignore UCAS when they say that a BTEC at grade DDD is worth 360 UCAS points (3 A grades at A level) because the half decent universities have their own standards that they adhere to which rarely take UCAS points into consideration.

Other universities are extremely strict when it comes to BTEC, if they say they want DDD or DDD + A in A level biology, they mean it. Unlike with other level 3 qualifications, there is usually little leniency.
I called up many universities during the clearing process, the vast majority turned me down due to being one grade too low.

For anyone on the BTEC applied science course thinking of studying at Sussex, I have one big recommendation.
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR CHEMISTRY. Don't just copy and paste your coursework from Wikipedia, make sure that you can actually perform basic calculations and have some knowledge of biochemistry concepts (organic wouldn't hurt either) otherwise you will find the first year quite hard as much of what you do in your first year of studying life sciences at the University of Sussex is biochemistry related in some way.

Anyway please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

Wow this has totally knocked my confidence now. Pretty sure I know my chemistry and biochemistry pretty well though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pannyfrost
I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma plus an A level, but I've emailed twice and asked admissions and they've both said that they do equally consider these applicants. And it also states in the prospectus too what BTEC grades you'd need, so that was reassuring!! Bare in mind that Sussex isn't a Russell Group uni, isn't really within the top 10-15, and it's HUGE. So they have the flexibility to take in students like us. Have hope!!

I spoke to a few of my teachers about it and they said not to worry about doing a BTEC. Having to work consistently throughout the year is one advantage we have over. Plus I always revise over everything that we do in lessons anyway to make sure I know it!
My friends brother actually did the course I'm doing now and just graduated with a 2:1 in microbiology! There is hope haha! Good luck with your application! Let me know how you get on :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by urbanforestry
I spoke to a few of my teachers about it and they said not to worry about doing a BTEC. Having to work consistently throughout the year is one advantage we have over. Plus I always revise over everything that we do in lessons anyway to make sure I know it!
My friends brother actually did the course I'm doing now and just graduated with a 2:1 in microbiology! There is hope haha! Good luck with your application! Let me know how you get on :biggrin:

Where else are you applying to? And thank you, you too!

I'm applying to Leicester Kent Salford and Cardiff, all for biochem :tongue: I have an offer from Kent so far :biggrin:

Hey! Just had an unconditional from Salford! Clearly tutors think that people doing a BTEC are more than capable otherwise they wouldn't have offered me a place!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hey! Just had an unconditional from Salford! Clearly tutors think that people doing a BTEC are more than capable otherwise they wouldn't have offered me a place!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaahh congratulations! :tongue: May I ask what grades you received last year and what you're predicted to achieve this year?
Thank you! Last year I had DD and I'm predicted D*DD:smile: what are you predicted???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaahh congratulations! :tongue: May I ask what grades you received last year and what you're predicted to achieve this year?

Omg I'm so bad at using tsr on my mobile :facepalm: my reply didn't work correctly -.- but thank you! But i said I had DD last year and I'm predicted D*DD:smile: What's your predictions? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg I'm so bad at using tsr on my mobile :facepalm: my reply didn't work correctly -.- but thank you! But i said I had DD last year and I'm predicted D*DD:smile: What's your predictions? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you gotten offer yet ? im worried about getting rejected even being predicted D*D*D*
Original post by buddhaman
have you gotten offer yet ? im worried about getting rejected even being predicted D*D*D*

Nope haven't heard anything from Sussex yet
hiya!

I'm studying a level 3 extended diploma at predicted grades D*D*D
Although I've applied to a different course from you I got my offer about 2 weeks after I applied mid November, and I have 3 other offers so I'm confident they won't hold it against you :smile: good luck!
Ended up getting a rejection from Sussex! :facepalm: gonna email them for feedback!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ended up getting a rejection from Sussex! :facepalm: gonna email them for feedback!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that I've got all 3 Sussex and Cardiff are yet to respond have any idea why they rejected you
Original post by buddhaman
I'm sorry to hear that I've got all 3 Sussex and Cardiff are yet to respond have any idea why they rejected you

Cardiff is my firm 👌
I've emailed about it but not a clue. They wanted DDD-DDM and I'm predicted D*DD so it must be my personal statement or reference. Not a clue!
Cardiff is my firm 👌
I've emailed about it but not a clue. They wanted DDD-DDM and I'm predicted D*DD so it must be my personal statement or reference. Not a clue!

yes Cardiff is a wonderful place I'm sure you'll like it there they have sent me an interview but with everything going on I don't think I'll go
Reply 19
Cardiff is my firm 👌

Whaaat?! That's so cutthroat :facepalm: It might just be that your course was really full and they accepted other people first, for some reason! It's kind of odd that they rejected you even though you exceeded the requirements too - defo puts me on edge since I haven't had a decision been made yet :afraid: let me know what they say when they get back to you! I'm sorry to hear :frown: but Cardiff is still amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest