Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can you see the % of mature students at a uni or on a specific course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is probably something I should be thinking about too much but none the less it does concern me being the only person over 30!

Maybe I should I ask the unis?

ReputationRep:
    The unis should have that stat, so it's available if you ask. Although in my experience, it won't help. My uni only recorded the number of "Mature" students, which were those over 21. There were 30% mature students in my department, but most of those seemed to be in their early-mid 20s. I was 44 when I started.

I have to be brutally honest, I found other students over 30 to be a bit of a pain and I preferred the younger cohort. They were much more open, enthusiastic and energetic as a whole. Most of my fellow matures were cynical, pushy and over-talkative in lectures (I'm sure I was the same!). The more manipulative ones could be incredibly devious. I found being around the youngsters a much more pleasant experience a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    I realise this is probably something I should be thinking about too much but none the less it does concern me being the only person over 30!

Maybe I should I ask the unis?
    You can find all of this on UCAS.

Search for the course that you're interested in, and click on the actual university instead of the course in the search results. It should also tell you about gender ratios and % of students by subject area.

Here's Durham as an example: http://search.ucas.com/provider/781/...&ret=providers

ReputationRep:
    Im worried about this ! Il be 30 in September and im also a mother of 2... so i am concerned that im going to feel old and lonely whilst at uni, il be absolutely fine if there are a couple of mature students 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa75880)
    Im worried about this ! Il be 30 in September and im also a mother of 2... so i am concerned that im going to feel old and lonely whilst at uni, il be absolutely fine if there are a couple of mature students 😂
    From my very little research it really does vary depending on uni and the course. Some unis I've checked have 40% mature students but then I think some courses (like teaching, nursing etc) tend to have more mature students.

ReputationRep:
    From my very little research it really does vary depending on uni and the course. Some unis I've checked have 40% mature students but then I think some courses (like teaching, nursing etc) tend to have more mature students.
    Beware of the raw stats. That just means that 40% are over 21 - in my experience, the majority of those could still be in their early twenties and maybe not the age bracket you might expect from the "mature" tag.

Don't get hung up on age. The younger cohort really made the uni experience for me as a forty-something. You're going to be out of your comfort zone in uni anyway, so you might as well just throw yourself into it regardless of how the mature student stats look on paper. It's still going to be a majority young or youth-oriented environment, wherever you go (unless you choose somewhere like Birkbeck). The uni staff won't interact with mature students any differently than they do the school leavers - being a fresher is a great leveller! If you're on the right course, that will be the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Beware of the raw stats. That just means that 40% are over 21 - in my experience, the majority of those could still be in their early twenties and maybe not the age bracket you might expect from the "mature" tag.

Don't get hung up on age. The younger cohort really made the uni experience for me as a forty-something. You're going to be out of your comfort zone in uni anyway, so you might as well just throw yourself into it regardless of how the mature student stats look on paper. It's still going to be a majority young or youth-oriented environment, wherever you go (unless you choose somewhere like Birkbeck). The uni staff won't interact with mature students any differently than they do the school leavers - being a fresher is a great leveller! If you're on the right course, that will be the main thing.

I totally agree with what you're saying. I'm one of the older students on an access course at the moment and its not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I have to be brutally honest, I found other students over 30 to be a bit of a pain and I preferred the younger cohort. They were much more open, enthusiastic and energetic as a whole. Most of my fellow matures were cynical, pushy and over-talkative in lectures (I'm sure I was the same!).
    Ouch, I think I fit your description! Well, maybe that's not quite true.

I actually think that cynicism is utterly useless, so I have to stop myself from lapsing into it (a bad habit of us older folk, admittedly). I don't talk a lot in lectures, but I admit I am very talkative in seminars. In one group in particular, however, it's just naturally arisen; I'm one of a few regular contributors, but there are some who, despite it now being week 9 (I'm in Yr1), have, literally, not yet said a word. So while I admit to being a motormouth (relatively speaking), I'm not sure what other strategy to adopt.

Some unis I've checked have 40% mature students but then I think some courses (like teaching, nursing etc) tend to have more mature students.
    Bear in mind I've just started uni this year, but I think I can give you a little insight. I feel that the % of mature students at the uni you eventually choose could be relevant to you in terms of how active the uni's mature student society is. It's also great to have some other mature students around on your course to chat with. The reality, however, is that you can't control the age balance of your fellow students, no matter how hard you try. I put a fair bit of stock in the mature student numbers when I was doing my uni research, but ultimately, I felt I had to push that down my list of priorities. On balance, that was probably the right decision.

I'm at a uni with, so the blurb claims, 20% mature students. However, there's only a handful of mature students who attend the same lectures as me. I'm the only mature student in two of my seminar groups. In my third group, there are a few, but tbh only one of them I'm really that chatty with. So, the reality is that my typical uni experience is being the one oldie among the youngsters. How different would that be if I went to a uni with 40% mature students? Probably not much. If I'd sought out a uni where the mature student % on my specific course was higher, would that mean I'd have to choose a course that doesn't reflect my interests as well? Possibly.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.