Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting to see if I get any interviews for medical school, but my weight has been troubling me since I began applying. I have completely changed my diet over the last three months and lost 18.5 lbs. going from a size 18 down to a 14-16. I'm obviously going to keep going but realistically I am likely to still be overweight for any interviews given the time frame.

Do you think that my weight will have me at a disadvantage? I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about doctors setting a good example to patients and one of the issues raised is being a healthy weight.

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't affect your capability to do the job then of course not. If you feel the employer is unfairly judging you based on your appearance then that means the job wasn't worth it anyways

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medic and I know quite a few overweight medics, for what it's worth.

Rest assured, you will be judged on your answers/composure and not your size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillisauce)

Sorry I should have clarified this is for med school interviews, not jobs. Your answer is encouraging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillisauce)

Chillisauce, can I ask are you a med student? If so where?

ReputationRep:
    There's a slim chance it will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    There's a slim chance it will
    Are you trying to be funny? :/

ReputationRep:
    I got good grades at A level and a lot of my parents' friends were doctors and told me to apply for Medicine. Some were even fat :lol:

Should not make a difference

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't consciously discriminate against you based on it.

I guess there's a small chance that they could be inadvertently slightly biased against it, in the same way that attractive, good-looking people etc are probably subconsciously considered to be better candidates by the interviewers. But tbh, even that's probably unlikely.

So the answer to your question is "no". :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

I guess there's a small chance that they could be inadvertently slightly biased against it, in the same way that attractive, good-looking people etc are probably subconsciously considered to be better candidates by the interviewers. But tbh, even that's probably unlikely.

You got in to do Medicine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    Are you trying to be funny? :/
    Hmm definitely a bad choice of words there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

To be fair subconscious bias is inevitable, that I can deal with. As long as it won't be a case of assessors going "well she is overweight so we will choose this slimmer candidate as they are a better example" for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treenyc)
    To be fair subconscious bias is inevitable, that I can deal with. As long as it won't be a case of assessors going "well she is overweight so we will choose this slimmer candidate as they are a better example" for example.
    Honestly I would just focus on interviews good luck!!

Dress in slimming clothes if its really bothering you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treenyc)
    I'm still waiting to see if I get any interviews for medical school, but my weight has been troubling me since I began applying. I have completely changed my diet over the last three months and lost 18.5 lbs. going from a size 18 down to a 14-16. I'm obviously going to keep going but realistically I am likely to still be overweight for any interviews given the time frame.

Do you think that my weight will have me at a disadvantage? I know there's been a lot of talk in the media about doctors setting a good example to patients and one of the issues raised is being a healthy weight.
    It would make no difference. Interviewers score you on set criteria and your weight isn't one of them. I'm sure they'll be more interested in your work experiences, extracurriculars, empathy and communication skills.
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat Rudeboi)
    Honestly I would just focus on interviews good luck!!

Dress in slimming clothes if its really bothering you?
    Gonna wear a dark suit so got that covered

ReputationRep:
    Lmfaooooooo just reading the title made me lol :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    It would make no difference. Interviewers score you on set criteria and your weight isn't one of them. I'm sure they'll be more interested in your work experiences, extracurriculars, empathy and communication skills.
    Best of luck
    Phew!!!!

If that's the case then I feel much better

ReputationRep:
    While most people are probably of average weight when they apply to med school, rest assured that by a few years after graduation AT LEAST 50% of doctors have gotten fat. I was trying to describe a registrar to a friend the other day: "He's, pretty chubby, balding, bit grumpy but actually quite nice" "...So you mean every single reg on every ward ever?"

Honestly, if fatter people weren't allowed to be doctors we'd be running out of doctors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    While most people are probably of average weight when they apply to med school, rest assured that by a few years after graduation AT LEAST 50% of doctors have gotten fat. I was trying to describe a registrar to a friend the other day: "He's, pretty chubby, balding, bit grumpy but actually quite nice" "...So you mean every single reg on every ward ever?"

Honestly, if fatter people weren't allowed to be doctors we'd be running out of doctors
    Haha lol this made me chuckle!! Thanks everyone I'm feeling much better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.