Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so today I walked/ran for nearly 8 miles (about 3.8 going and coming). It took me about an 2 hours and a half altogether. I walked a lot and then I would do about 20 seconds of running then I'd go back to walking then I'd do it again after a couple minutes and then I'd increase the amount of time I'd run like for 40 seconds instead then I'd go to jogging then I'd go to walking. This was the first time I'd ever done any sort of exercise so I did find it a little challenging to KEEP running for a long time. By the end of it, I was able to increase the "running spurts" to about 2/3 minutes and then I could jog for a couple more minutes then I would walk for a shorter time and go back to running etc etc

I really enjoyed it but my legs ached a little afterwards so I think I'll give it at least a day before I do it again. How often should I run a week? (Max) Is what I'm doing okay until I am able to just keep running without breaking? What's the average miles I should and how should I slowly increase it?

Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Three words: Couch to 5k
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    don't run on hard ground! honestly don't it gives you shin splints

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    This is true. OP you better have high quality running shoes otherwise you will end up feeling like u have your grandma's knees in two weeks. Proper shoes are 50% of the success. I first started running in converse shoes and..... yeah..... I'm clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Get good shoes. They make all the difference. If you're on a budget, get the Roshes. Although not the best, for the price they're really comfortable. If you can afford it get some Free Runs though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Okay so today I walked/ran for nearly 8 miles (about 3.8 going and coming). It took me about an 2 hours and a half altogether. I walked a lot and then I would do about 20 seconds of running then I'd go back to walking then I'd do it again after a couple minutes and then I'd increase the amount of time I'd run like for 40 seconds instead then I'd go to jogging then I'd go to walking. This was the first time I'd ever done any sort of exercise so I did find it a little challenging to KEEP running for a long time. By the end of it, I was able to increase the "running spurts" to about 2/3 minutes and then I could jog for a couple more minutes then I would walk for a shorter time and go back to running etc etc

I really enjoyed it but my legs ached a little afterwards so I think I'll give it at least a day before I do it again. How often should I run a week? (Max) Is what I'm doing okay until I am able to just keep running without breaking? What's the average miles I should and how should I slowly increase it?

Okay thanks
    It's normal to have an ached legs after your first intense exercise. Whatever you do, make sure you warm up properly so that your muscles aren't being worked out all of a sudden. Try stretching your legs especially, but don't forget the other parts as well (including the back of your body). After you run, do a 'cool down' activities to ensure you don't get cramps. It might sound tedious but you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night because of your cramped legs etc.

My maximum was 6 days in a week. Sometimes, I do the extra day (7 a week) when I feel like doing it lol. Whatever it is that you do, you know yourself what's best for you. On average, I allocated 1.5 hours to train. Before I do the long run, I jog around the bitumen track for 2 rounds (800m) as part of my warm up. Try not to stop but keep on jogging. After doing this run, you do your warm up activities. Then, you do the long run (depends on you how many km you wanted to do). I usually do 3km and the rest are for the 'drilling activities' like short sprinting, the knee high thing, etc to increase your strength and all that. For the hardcore part, you can use the bitumen track starting from the outer part of the lane (lane 8) , and jog according to your lane until you reach your starting point. After that, go into lane 7 and repeat until you reach the inner lane. Take a rest after you finish them but don't sit or lay down immediately - you can get cramps. If your feet feels hot, take the shoes off but never the socks. Important thing to remember when running is to know your limit. If you push yourself too hard you'll be vomitting lol and I used to cry of frustration after a hardcore-er training because I feel extremely tired but I don't know how to verbalise it to people. You can then proceed to run away outside of the bitumen track but like I said, avoid hard ground - step on the green if you can.

Most important thing, if you feel like stopping, that's the moment that you need to keep running. Mindset is important. Stride if you can't run but try the least to walk.

Hope this helps and all the best!

This. OP, try avoiding cement or the hard ground when running. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes (they're different from the sports shoes used for indoor activities - never use the wrong shoes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Get good shoes. They make all the difference. If you're on a budget, get the Roshes. Although not the best, for the price they're really comfortable. If you can afford it get some Free Runs though.
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    This is true. OP you better have high quality running shoes otherwise you will end up feeling like u have your grandma's knees in two weeks. Proper shoes are 50% of the success. I first started running in converse shoes and..... yeah..... I'm clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. :facepalm2:
    (Original post by HSafirah)
    This. OP, try avoiding cement or the hard ground when running. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes (they're different from the sports shoes used for indoor activities - never use the wrong shoes)
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-fle...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

is something like this okay?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-dow...lcode=27124143

or this?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-air...lcode=27407366

or maybe this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suirrel)
    Three words: Couch to 5k
    I found a good app for this thanks!

Ooh So you'd run on the grass then??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, first ones essentially a rebranded Roshe so yeah they're relatively inexpensive and should help cushion your feet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSafirah)
    It's normal to have an ached legs after your first intense exercise. Whatever you do, make sure you warm up properly so that your muscles aren't being worked out all of a sudden. Try stretching your legs especially, but don't forget the other parts as well (including the back of your body). After you run, do a 'cool down' activities to ensure you don't get cramps. It might sound tedious but you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night because of your cramped legs etc.

My maximum was 6 days in a week. Sometimes, I do the extra day (7 a week) when I feel like doing it lol. Whatever it is that you do, you know yourself what's best for you. On average, I allocated 1.5 hours to train. Before I do the long run, I jog around the bitumen track for 2 rounds (800m) as part of my warm up. Try not to stop but keep on jogging. After doing this run, you do your warm up activities. Then, you do the long run (depends on you how many km you wanted to do). I usually do 3km and the rest are for the 'drilling activities' like short sprinting, the knee high thing, etc to increase your strength and all that. For the hardcore part, you can use the bitumen track starting from the outer part of the lane (lane 8) , and jog according to your lane until you reach your starting point. After that, go into lane 7 and repeat until you reach the inner lane. Take a rest after you finish them but don't sit or lay down immediately - you can get cramps. If your feet feels hot, take the shoes off but never the socks. Important thing to remember when running is to know your limit. If you push yourself too hard you'll be vomitting lol and I used to cry of frustration after a hardcore-er training because I feel extremely tired but I don't know how to verbalise it to people. You can then proceed to run away outside of the bitumen track but like I said, avoid hard ground - step on the green if you can.

Most important thing, if you feel like stopping, that's the moment that you need to keep running. Mindset is important. Stride if you can't run but try the least to walk.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Thank you ^-^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Thank you ^-^
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Yeah, first ones essentially a rebranded Roshe so yeah they're relatively inexpensive and should help cushion your feet
    Okayy thanks

ReputationRep:
    Run in a "vibrant" neighborhood

I would have said run when it's cooler, then I remembered that it's pretty much cool
    (not where I am atm. There has beeeeeen a heatwave for the past 2 weeks so I can't run anytime because it's still too hot in the morning/evening. Might try midnight )
    Otherwise just try the above hints

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=bluemadhatter;60562463]I found a good app for this thanks!

I've used several apps, but I found the NHS podcasts to be the most motivational and fun to run to. They can be found on the NHS website.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting too, just two times now but I went out jogging but all I have is pavements here :/

After reading this I am worried this will be bad for my knees? Have apps to downloaded few
    Getrunning and 5k runner seem best
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Couch 2 5k was made for people like you
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katrina89)
    I am starting too, just two times now but I went out jogging but all I have is pavements here :/

After reading this I am worried this will be bad for my knees? Have apps to downloaded few
    Getrunning and 5k runner seem best
    Yeah I was worried about that too :L I think I'm going to travel to a forest that I really like and run along there Its a nice view and it wont be bad for me!

I just downloaded the one with top ratings which is 5K Run - Couch to 5k

ReputationRep:
    I have park but it's far and I don't see point driving there when I wanna run doesn't make sense to me at all :P
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Use your running shoes just for running. You need to try various pairs of running shoes on before buying. What works for me, won't work for you. I, for example, prefer running in Addidas or New Balance. I find that Asics are far too narrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katrina89)
    I have park but it's far and I don't see point driving there when I wanna run doesn't make sense to me at all :P
    true i guess im bothered to take a train for like 40 minutes there and back xD

(Original post by OU Student)
    Use your running shoes just for running. You need to try various pairs of running shoes on before buying. What works for me, won't work for you. I, for example, prefer running in Addidas or New Balance. I find that Asics are far too narrow.
    so I cant wear running shoes to school?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.