Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't understand. watch

Announcements

Hi, I'm a furst year student (18yo) studying 300 miles from home. I struggled to settle in at uni but made a small group of friends and sort of just got on with my lectures etc. Ive been here for almost 2 months now, but the past few weeks have been heading downhill. I can't focus on lectures anymore, I find it hard to get on with work I have due, I avoid leaving my room unless absolutely necessary; I wait for people to leave the kitchen before I go in. I've always been sad at night, but now I'm sad all the time. I cry, like hysterically, every night. In the past I've had trouble with body image/eating and self harm; i think about it a lot now and feel physically ill after eating any food. I did try telling 2 people how i was feeling, 1 told me its just a side effect of the pill & i'll get over it, the other said they would like to be there for me but have issues of their own (these are the 2 people i trust most in the world). I knkw it all sounds very dramatic and probably exaggerated, but I really dont know how much longer i can cope. I honestly dont want attention; thats the last thing i want, but im starting to really worry that something is wrong with me. Any ideas?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'm a furst year student (18yo) studying 300 miles from home. I struggled to settle in at uni but made a small group of friends and sort of just got on with my lectures etc. Ive been here for almost 2 months now, but the past few weeks have been heading downhill. I can't focus on lectures anymore, I find it hard to get on with work I have due, I avoid leaving my room unless absolutely necessary; I wait for people to leave the kitchen before I go in. I've always been sad at night, but now I'm sad all the time. I cry, like hysterically, every night. In the past I've had trouble with body image/eating and self harm; i think about it a lot now and feel physically ill after eating any food. I did try telling 2 people how i was feeling, 1 told me its just a side effect of the pill & i'll get over it, the other said they would like to be there for me but have issues of their own (these are the 2 people i trust most in the world). I knkw it all sounds very dramatic and probably exaggerated, but I really dont know how much longer i can cope. I honestly dont want attention; thats the last thing i want, but im starting to really worry that something is wrong with me. Any ideas?
    Hey

I'm really sorry that you're going through this. I just wanted to post here to tell you that you're not alone. A lot of people have similar experiences at university - but people don't really talk about it. I guarantee that you've walked past people in the library/on campus who are feeling exactly the same.

I was very similar to what you described during my 1st year at uni - I think the stress just got to me and I cracked under the pressure. But things got better when I got help. I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what's wrong - but in my case it was depression and anxiety and that was alleviated with medication and seeing a counselor. You can't ignore something like this - it won't go away by itself. You need to tell someone - this is a really good start! Do you have a close friend or relative that you could confide in? Your uni will have a counselling service of some kind and it's worth going to you GP too.

With you saying that you're 300 miles from home it makes me worry that you feel isolated and that there aren't people around to notice your low moods and help you out - so you're going to have to help yourself. Also, this might sound drastic, but have you considered transferring to a uni closer to home? I moved 200 miles away for my first uni but after the tough time I was having I realized I needed the support network of my family and speaking over the phone wasn't good enough - I needed to be able to pop round to my parents house for a hug and a cup of tea. I did much better when I moved back to my hometown. It depends on what you feel is necessary though.

The first step is to talk about it and ask for help. I hope you're feeling better soon and as I say - you really aren't alone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.