The Student Room Group

struggling with foundation year degree which consists Maths, Further maths & Physics.

ukjsbfnma z
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hanadinhio
Hello I studied History, Sociology and Philosophy for my A levels. By A2 however I decided I wanted to be an engineer. I applied for a foundation year degree that allows me to progress onto civil engineering at the university of Liverpool and been given a place. The entry requirements were CDD,i achieved BCC in my subjects. However, i'm struggling with my course.

the problem is that nearly everyone on the foundation year course has done maths and physics, even the mature students did an access course before joining. As a result we're going through the content at a very fast pace. in addition the content is very hard. this has really surprised me, you'd have thought because the grade boundaries were low and the fact that the course didn't require maths or physics for entry would have meant that they would have taught you from scratch. but unfortunately that's not the case.

I feel hopeless and don't think i'll pass first semester and i heard from somewhere if you drop out before 1st of December you wouldn't have to pay back your tuition fee.

I still want to attain a civil engineering degree, there's nothing else i want to do. if i dropped out would there be anything i could do to salvage my year? i'm already a year above everyone and I'm doing a foundation year which effectively makes me 2 year above everyone in my year.

Hmmm, I think maybe the fact that you studied purely essays subjects is your problem. Maybe you just need time to get used more numerical and scientific content?

I am applying for foundation year this year, in engineering and like me most people that also applying which I know, have done at least some sciences like chem. Maybe you need to get back to basics and learn the basics of physics and maths like GCSE level and then try to get back on track? Honestly I would have recommend you to do this in your summer holidays because from what I have heard, foundation year is bascailly AS and A2 maths/physics, mainly.

Maybe having a word with your tutor will help? Many people underestimate how hard foundations year are, they are pretty damn intense. Quite a few people fail it. Good luck. I have no idea about how the fees work.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending