Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is emotional or physical pain worse? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would really appreciate it if people could answer the one question survey below to help with my english coursework

http://goo.gl/forms/ebPyBDhzQF

ReputationRep:
    Physical.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional - at least with physical pain you can do something about it, like take paracetamol. With emotional pain you kinda just sit there like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ until it passes (and it can take a long time to pass)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    Emotional - at least with physical pain you can do something about it, like take paracetamol. With emotional pain you kinda just sit there like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ until it passes (and it can take a long time to pass)
    Yyyeah, gl with your paracetamol strategy whilst giving birth or getting 1st degree burns. It is possible to die from physical pain. Of course, some would argue that one can die from emotional pain by committing suicide, but 1) it's a choice 2) lots of sufferers don't commit suicide, proving it is survivable.

People who say emotional pain is worse than physical have never experienced serious physical pain.

Physical: women who have had both kids and kidney stones say they would rather give birth 10 more times than go thorough the pain of kidney stones again
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nothing is worse than a cluster headache w/ occular pressure. NOTHING.

ReputationRep:
    Neither, they feel as good as each other
    Seriously though, both can cause death and it may depend on the person. Personally emotional pain is something I couldn't handle, like that being caused by the loss of a loved one.

ReputationRep:
    Id rather feel emotinal pain than getting stabbed in the kidneys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Yyyeah, gl with your paracetamol strategy whilst giving birth or getting 1st degree burns. It is possible to die from physical pain. Of course, some would argue that one can die from emotional pain by committing suicide, but 1) it's a choice 2) lots of sufferers don't commit suicide, proving it is survivable.

People who say emotional pain is worse than physical have never experienced serious physical pain.
    For the sake of argument, have you ever experienced any deep emotional pain? You may ignore this question if you don't want to respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    Loneliness has been said to be a greater health risk than diabetes and heavy smoking because sufferers are at a 30% higher risk of early death because of a large range of physical symptoms.
    We also now know that a 'broken heart' is not just a passing bad feeling but a common cause of damage to heart tissue that can in turn cause heart failure. There is much more to dying from emotional pain than suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional pain by far. Because it tends to be chronic and can really screw up your relationships afyer the pain has subsided. It can deteriorate your future mental health and I think there tends to be more legacy on emotional pain. I'd rather have a few broken bones rather than go through another period of depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    Not always true. I currently take a very strong and horrible drug usually given for epilepsy plus another drug if I need it for migraine.

You can't compare the two imo.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Emotional definitely!

You can escape from your own mind, and people are stronger than others; being emotionally or physically. I have a high pain threshold so it's not so bad, but I do let emotional stuff get to me, even though I have a persona of "idgaf" attitude.

But yeah, you can treat physical pain, but it's harder to treat emotional pain because you can't run or escape or stop your consciousness from being broken, hurt, angry, etc etc. On top of that, some people just don't know how to deal with their emotions effectively which makes it so much harder.

ReputationRep:
    its a confusing one, for me they both link with each other, emotional pain can become physical pain, for example if a person was depressed and started to self harm and so on.

but having a brother who is physically disabled, i know that physical pain is way worse.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely emotional pain - a broken heart is far worse than any physical pain - I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Loneliness has been said to be a greater health risk than diabetes and heavy smoking because sufferers are at a 30% higher risk of early death because of a large range of physical symptoms.
    We also now know that a 'broken heart' is not just a passing bad feeling but a common cause of damage to heart tissue that can in turn cause heart failure. There is much more to dying from emotional pain than suicide.
    I wonder how it can cause damages to the physical heart

ReputationRep:
    They're both equally bad

ReputationRep:
    Physical. I have never felt worse than when I am physically ill or in pain.

Emotional pain at least means I am alive. What's worse is when you feel nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Emotional - it stays there for a lot longer. But I think (as this thread shows!) that it varies from person to person, depending on personal experience and different strengths. For example, with physical pain, I could sort of block it out, and if it gets too bad then I'd probably go numb or pass out, whereas if you're feeling down etc., then it simply doesn't go away, and makes your life kinda miserable. Just my take on things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki123456)
    I would really appreciate it if people could answer the one question survey below to help with my english coursework

http://goo.gl/forms/ebPyBDhzQF
    You dont know pain till youve felt a throbbing 12incher deep inside the valley of your ruptured anus

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.