Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a smart phone before, but I need to get one as my ancient phone is starting to not work.

I know that I want an Android phone, and for under £25 a month (ideally under £20 per month), and I want to be able to listen to music,watch videos, play games, use apps, edit photos..
    I don't want a massive brick sized phone, just a normal size. Are all the phones (Samsung Galaxy, motorola, HTC etc) all exactly the same apart from their size, camera and processors? I mean can I do the same things on all of the phones?

Please recommend me some.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Moto G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passivepineapple)
    I've never had a smart phone before, but I need to get one as my ancient phone is starting to not work.

I know that I want an Android phone, and for under £25 a month (ideally under £20 per month), and I want to be able to listen to music,watch videos, play games, use apps, edit photos..
    I don't want a massive brick sized phone, just a normal size. Are all the phones (Samsung Galaxy, motorola, HTC etc) all exactly the same apart from their size, camera and processors? I mean can I do the same things on all of the phones?

Please recommend me some.
    Virtually all modern smartphones can do the tasks you've mentioned, as they all compete to offer the same functionality, it then becomes a case of how well they can do it. £20-£25 per month is enough to get you an excellent phone, either a top tier flagship from last year or a mid tier device from 2015.

Size is likely to be a larger limitation for you. Most flagship phones are around 5.2" in screen size which is fine for most people, but 5.5" disolays or larger are becoming increasingly common. If you're worried about size, go into a phone store and try a few different options to see what you like best.

As for specific recommendations, I have a buyer's guide here which should help you choose based on size, price and which phones are best for which features :yep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3392089

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Virtually all modern smartphones can do the tasks you've mentioned, as they all compete to offer the same functionality, it then becomes a case of how well they can do it. £20-£25 per month is enough to get you an excellent phone, either a top tier flagship from last year or a mid tier device from 2015.

Size is likely to be a larger limitation for you. Most flagship phones are around 5.2" in screen size which is fine for most people, but 5.5" disolays or larger are becoming increasingly common. If you're worried about size, go into a phone store and try a few different options to see what you like best.

As for specific recommendations, I have a buyer's guide here which should help you choose based on size, price and which phones are best for which features :yep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3392089
    Thanks so much! Great guide!

Why is the Samsung galaxy version of android disliked? How is it modified? Do all android phones let you jailbreak/ put homebrew software on?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! Great guide!

Why is the Samsung galaxy version of android disliked? How is it modified? Do all android phones let you jailbreak/ put homebrew software on?
    Essentially they make changes to the interface that aren't always as well designed as stock Android, as well as using their own apps for certain services instead of the stock ones. A lot if it can be gotten around with things like custom launchers, but some of it will be baked in deeper than you can get rid of and can sometimes clash with the design of the rest of the software, or generally just not look as good.

Android doesn't have jailbreaking in the same sense as iOS, as it's already a lot more open and customisable. There's a process called rooting which enables you to do things like install completely new firmware of Android designed by anyone, but it's less prominent now compared to a few years ago because of how much more advanced Android has become. As for installing homebrew software, most Android manufacturers enable you to install any apps, regardless of where you downloaded them from (assuming your phone is compatible, of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Essentially they make changes to the interface that aren't always as well designed as stock Android, as well as using their own apps for certain services instead of the stock ones. A lot if it can be gotten around with things like custom launchers, but some of it will be baked in deeper than you can get rid of and can sometimes clash with the design of the rest of the software, or generally just not look as good.

Android doesn't have jailbreaking in the same sense as iOS, as it's already a lot more open and customisable. There's a process called rooting which enables you to do things like install completely new firmware of Android designed by anyone, but it's less prominent now compared to a few years ago because of how much more advanced Android has become. As for installing homebrew software, most Android manufacturers enable you to install any apps, regardless of where you downloaded them from (assuming your phone is compatible, of course).
    Is there a phone you could recommend considering all the things I want from it?
    I've been considering the samsung s5 mini, moto g, song z2 compact or z5 compact, or the mini version of the htc m8

ReputationRep:
    I've been considering the samsung s5 mini, moto g, song z2 compact or z5 compact, or the mini version of the htc m8
    What features are most important to you? Do you want the fastest phone you can get for the money, the phone with the best camera, etc?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...m_campaign=phg

Galaxy S6 @ £25 a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What features are most important to you? Do you want the fastest phone you can get for the money, the phone with the best camera, etc?
    Apart from speed and camera what other features are there?
    When you say certain Android phone manufacturers will have their own apps, does that mean that some phones are better, or software-wise, can any Android phone do everything that any other Android phone can?

I want to use it for apps, gaming, keeping notes, internet, music, podcasts/ educational tools/, watching youtube etc, but don't want a phone the size of a brick. I was going to get a Galaxy s5, but worried that it is less customisable and restricted? I also want to root it.
    Also a decent enough camera and not slow.

ReputationRep:
    Are you certain that you want a contract? I personally prefer buying chinese phones which are flagships and often onpar with mainstream brands like samsung and htc. These phones however have no sim and are unlocked. I recommend that you get the one plus 2 or 1 It's really popular and has great specs rivaling the s6 often with next gen processors before the mainstream competition at the fraction of the price.One plus especially has a exceedingly large fanbase and forums and can be helpful with problems with the phone often helping to fix bugs along with devs. The latest flagship model One plus 2 is priced at £290 for the 64gb 4gbram one.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the moto g it's a really nice phone I only changed because mine died on me and iTunes. Games on the android are a mixed bag but they do have a very nice selection. Of emulators including a game cube one in the works so yeah MotoG rocks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 5X, Moto G. Both solid phones.

Or a Nexus 5 if you can find one on pay monthly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonSimpson)
    Nexus 5X, Moto G. Both solid phones.

Or a Nexus 5 if you can find one on pay monthly.
    Over the galaxy s5 or s5 mini? and the xperia compact or the htc m8 mini?

ReputationRep:
    Over the galaxy s5 or s5 mini? and the xperia compact or the htc m8 mini?
    I don't think they are comparable really.

I'd put the Nexus 5X ahead of all those.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.