Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am a fresher at uni studying engineering.
    I take 4 modules in my first semester, and most of them are fine, except for programming. We are studying java, and the lectures started very slowly, which helped me understand the basics of the syntax etc. We have weekly lab sessions where we have to follow instructions to make a program (puts into use what we've learnt every week). At first I could do these with no problems at all, but after the third week everything got far too complicated for me and now I feel like I can't do any of the new stuff at all. I am too scared to go to the lab sessions as I need to practise way more and I have lost the motivation to work. Instead of practising coding or reading about the new topics, I just play video games or work on one of my other modules (which are completely fine). I am thinking of ignoring the labs (I think they count for 20% of my module), and focus on studying for my final exam which counts for the rest.
    Any advice?
    As I am in first year, I would only need a pass (40%) and then I would be done with the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lococamoko)
    As I am in first year, I would only need a pass (40%) and then I would be done with the module.
    My advice? Don't take that attitude.

The amount of times I've seen people think "first year's nothing, I can just scrape 40% and be fine", only to get into second year and realise that a hell of a lot of what they're doing links in with things that they were meant to have learnt in first year, and all of a sudden they're really struggling as a result.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of ignoring the labs (I think they count for 20% of my module), and focus on studying for my final exam which counts for the rest.
    Please don't do this. Please try your very best at doing the lab works.

I did CS before and I did Java as well during my first year; it's normal for Java to get complicated as the lectures go by, so the best thing to do is to do the lab works continuously and learn from whatever errors you made during the lab work. It sucks but it's completely normal and a necessary learning curve.

Also, some of the things you studied or did during your course may be used when you're working in the industry; I did

Hang in there kiddo!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am a fresher at uni studying Computer Science.
    I take 4 modules in my first semester, and most of them are fine, except for programming. We are studying java, and the lectures started very slowly, which helped me understand the basics of the syntax etc. We have weekly lab sessions where we have to follow instructions to make a program (puts into use what we've learnt every week). At first I could do these with no problems at all, but after the third week everything got far too complicated for me and now I feel like I can't do any of the new stuff at all. I am too scared to go to the lab sessions as I need to practise way more and I have lost the motivation to work. Instead of practising coding or reading about the new topics, I just play video games or work on one of my other modules (which are completely fine). I am thinking of ignoring the labs (I think they count for 20% of my module), and focus on studying for my final exam which counts for the rest.
    Any advice?
    My first exposure to programming was through java and I found it a nightmare as well. Have you tried using any other resources for java besides the course materials provided by your uni? There's bound to be plenty of stuff online or even in print if you're willing to pay extra.

I only got through my class due to extensive help from other students. Are you able to get help from your classmates? I understand this isn't necessarily easy if you don't know many people in this particular class but if you can get help it should improve things immeasurably

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.