Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any questions ranging from admission to course content/student capabilities or career tendencies from recent graduates within the Advanced Methods for Computational Aeronautics Masters.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like to ask the following questions:
    How important is the personal statement and what sort of person are they looking for?
    Do all applicants get interviewed?
    How important are the references? -- Are they as important as the grades?
    How good shall my prior knowledge be in ODE's and PDE's?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Assume the personal statement to be critical, the course is extremely demanding so show that your motivation for joining the MSc will propel you through at any cost. They are typically looking for persons from a related field, mostly engineering, applied mathematics, or computationally derived course with a mathematical undertone. Previous academics need to be high, most candidates are from the french grandes ecoles and are extremely proficient in applied mathematics and fluid mechanics (they basically tutored me through the course ) so they need an indication that you are capable for the course (1st + references showing academic ability) although I am just sharing my personal experience. All these factors should be assumed to be weighted equally in importance. A background experience (internship or research project in the field is extremely common among candidates. I personally interned in CFD for a year before the masters.) For obvious reasons I believe this to be very important however not compulsory.

I do not believe candidates are interviewed, I certainly wasn't nor any of my colleagues.

I personally went into the course with very little knowledge of the mathematics PDE's etc . Do not base your application on your mathematical or computational ability as it is entirely possible and part of the course to pick up techniques along the way and the wonderful aspect of this masters is that the student body is very diverse so inevitably some one knows the answer whether it be Navier-Stokes or C++, just be sure to sit next to them or buy them a coffee!

I hope that gives you some insight!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering my questions. How long did it take for them to process your application?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.