Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm currently a second year student at Bath studying the four year Psychology with placement course.

The Psychology course at Bath is great because it offers you the chance to study really interesting modules in a wide range of areas in Psychology. Each semester you have the chance to choose one optional module from another faculty, such as Sociology, Politics or Education, meaning the course can be really varied. The course is assessed through a mixture of exams, coursework and presentations, which is good if you don't particularly like being assessed by exams.

As a second year student I am currently applying for placements. Doing a placement is a great opportunity to gain experience working in Psychology, as work experience in this area is often hard to find. There is a wide variety of placements to apply to. These include research placements at universities, clinical psychology placements in hospitals, forensic psychology placements in prisons, and business psychology placements in large companies. There is also the opportunity to live abroad for your placement year, with placements available in the USA, New Zealand and Australia. I am hoping to do a research placement at a university researching child cognitive development.

I am really enjoying my time as a Bath student. There is loads to do in Bath including sports, societies and volunteering. There are also many opportunities to get more involved in the Psychology department, as a Psychology student ambassador or as part of the Bath University Psychology Society.

If you have questions about the course or about student life in Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how long did it take you to recieve your offer last year? I applied quite a few weeks ago and still havent heard, although ive recieved all of my other offers!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Chaqwe)
    Hi, how long did it take you to recieve your offer last year? I applied quite a few weeks ago and still havent heard, although ive recieved all of my other offers!
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    x
    I'll quote them so that they can see that you've replied. Best of luck with your application!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Chaqwe)
    Hi,

When I applied, I didn't receive my offer until March, so try not to worry - there will still be a lot of people who haven't heard anything yet! As you can see on our website, all applications received before the 15th January UCAS deadline are given equal consideration, and decisions will be made as quickly as possible. However it may take some time, but you will hear back by the end of March at the latest.

Congratulations on receiving your other offers! If you have any other questions about the Psychology course or student life at Bath, feel free to quote me.

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How easy did you find the transition from A Level Psychology to University Psychology?

Also, do you do more clinical work, e.g laboratory work?

How useful did you find the placement year? Did you get support in finding the placement?
    What are the variety of universities you can go to abroad and how easy is it to apply for them?

Also just about student life:

How is the accommodation in bath?
    How is the city? Is it expensive for students?

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by TK_23)
    Hi,

How easy did you find the transition from A Level Psychology to University Psychology?

Also, do you do more clinical work, e.g laboratory work?

How useful did you find the placement year? Did you get support in finding the placement?
    What are the variety of universities you can go to abroad and how easy is it to apply for them?

Also just about student life:

How is the accommodation in bath?
    How is the city? Is it expensive for students?

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

Personally I found the transition from A level to first year fairly easy as all first year modules are taught assuming no prior knowledge of Psychology, as some people on the course will not have taken Psychology A level. In first year some modules require you to write lab reports based on experiments. At first you observe these experiments as they are are carried out in lectures. However as you progress through the year you are given more independence in carrying out experiments, which increases as you go into second year and beyond. For example, I have just completed a group research project which involved everything from coming up with the idea for the study, writing and submitting an ethics proposal, recruiting participants, preparing all the materials, carrying out the study and writing up the results. Writing lab reports is quite different from anything I had previously done at A level, however for the first few reports you get lots of help and guidance with writing technique, and really useful feedback on reports to help you improve.

There are quite a few universities that you can apply to abroad. This year these included Harvard University, Boston University, Emerson College and Boston College in the USA, Sydney University in Australia, Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, and Cape Town University in South Africa. It is very easy to apply for these placements, as we have a brilliant placements team who secure placement providers and put together all the information so that all you have to do is send off your application. There is lots of support, with weekly placement lectures throughout first and second year to help in choosing what placement is right for you and helping with applications and interviews. I haven't completed my placement yet, as I am currently in second year so will be starting in September. However, previous placement students have informed me that it is a really useful year to gain experience in a working environment and also to get an idea of the kind of career you may want to do in the future.

In my opinion the accommodation at Bath is really nice. There are halls both on and off campus which range in price, flat size, how modern they are and whether they come with an ensuite bathroom. You might want to take a look at our accommodation webpage to get an idea of the kind of accommodation options we have on offer.

Personally I think that the city of Bath is great. Although it is a fairly small city, there is plenty to do - the Bath leap list is a list compiled by students of the best activities to do in Bath. Being a world heritage site, it is a very picturesque and beautiful place to live. There are lots of shops, pubs, bars and restaurants, as well as great transport links (Bristol is only a ten minute train journey away if you feel like going somewhere new).

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im just wondering how much presentation is involved, how many people you present in front of and how much the presentation contributes to the overall outcome? I have anxiety so naturally presenting isnt one of my strongest skills, and I wouldnt want this to hinder my chances
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Great thread, Bath is my dream Uni for Psychology! Im just wondering how important GCSE grades are for Bath when considering you? I have met all of their entry reqs (I'm set to get all As this year (AS) and do even better next year) BUT they say that an A in GCSE maths is preferred: I have a B grade. The rest of my education/work experience is bound to get me a place, but im worried that the GCSE grade may let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I was wondering what other unis you applied to and why you chose Bath? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a second year student at Bath studying the four year Psychology with placement course.

The Psychology course at Bath is great because it offers you the chance to study really interesting modules in a wide range of areas in Psychology. Each semester you have the chance to choose one optional module from another faculty, such as Sociology, Politics or Education, meaning the course can be really varied. The course is assessed through a mixture of exams, coursework and presentations, which is good if you don't particularly like being assessed by exams.

As a second year student I am currently applying for placements. Doing a placement is a great opportunity to gain experience working in Psychology, as work experience in this area is often hard to find. There is a wide variety of placements to apply to. These include research placements at universities, clinical psychology placements in hospitals, forensic psychology placements in prisons, and business psychology placements in large companies. There is also the opportunity to live abroad for your placement year, with placements available in the USA, New Zealand and Australia. I am hoping to do a research placement at a university researching child cognitive development.

I am really enjoying my time as a Bath student. There is loads to do in Bath including sports, societies and volunteering. There are also many opportunities to get more involved in the Psychology department, as a Psychology student ambassador or as part of the Bath University Psychology Society.

If you have questions about the course or about student life in Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth

Hi Beth
    I'm hoping to go to Bath to do psychology with the placement year, it's asking A*AA or AAA with an A in EPQ. I'm currently doing biology psychology maths and EPQ a levels, but I'm worried I won't get an A in EPQ... do you think I would still be conciderd/ will still be able to get into bath if I get AAA and a B in EPQ??
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Chloebreenb)
    Hi Beth
    I'm hoping to go to Bath to do psychology with the placement year, it's asking A*AA or AAA with an A in EPQ. I'm currently doing biology psychology maths and EPQ a levels, but I'm worried I won't get an A in EPQ... do you think I would still be conciderd/ will still be able to get into bath if I get AAA and a B in EPQ??
    Hi Chloe,

As Psychology at Bath is a competitive course, if you were to receive an offer it would be A*AA or AAA with an A in EPQ. However, if you receive an offer and, on results day, do not meet the requirements, it is possible that your application may still be considered. When results are published everyone who has met the conditions of their offer will gain a place.

At this stage it is impossible to predict how many students will meet the conditions of their offer, however if overall performance is lower than expected it is possible that there may be places still available after all those who have met their offer have been accommodated. If this is the case, it is likely that places would be offered to those who have just missed the conditions of their offer, and those who have missed it by the narrowest margin are most likely to receive an offer.

Good luck with your exams and your EPQ, and try not to panic at this stage as it is still possible that you will meet the required grades! Please feel free to quote me if you have any other questions!

Beth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by HannahSophie)
    Hi, Im just wondering how much presentation is involved, how many people you present in front of and how much the presentation contributes to the overall outcome? I have anxiety so naturally presenting isnt one of my strongest skills, and I wouldnt want this to hinder my chances
    Thank you!
    Hi Hannah,

Sorry for such a delayed response to your question - I have only just seen it for some reason! I'm similar to you in that I really don't like doing presentations, so I was also concerned about this before I started.

As you can see from the unit catalogue (which shows compulsory and optional modules, and how they are assessed), there are several assessed presentations throughout the degree. Presentations are often done in small seminar groups of around 15-20 people and in all presentations, aside from your dissertation presentation, you work in small groups so you don't have to present on your own. I know it can be difficult if you don't like presentations, however the good thing is they often only count for a small % of the module (usually 20%), so even if it is not one of your strongest skills, it will not hugely affect your marks in comparison to say exams and coursework.

Good luck with your application, and please feel free to quote me if you have any other questions!

Beth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    Great thread, Bath is my dream Uni for Psychology! Im just wondering how important GCSE grades are for Bath when considering you? I have met all of their entry reqs (I'm set to get all As this year (AS) and do even better next year) BUT they say that an A in GCSE maths is preferred: I have a B grade. The rest of my education/work experience is bound to get me a place, but im worried that the GCSE grade may let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response to your question! As you can see on our website, although an A grade in Maths GCSE is usually required (if Maths is not offered at a higher level), applications with grade B in Maths GCSE will still be considered. This means that your application would not be rejected indefinitely because of your B grade, as all aspects of the application are considered when offers are made including personal statement, GCSE grades, work experience and A level grades. So it is great that you have done work experience and have A grade predictions, as these are both considered! However, due to the competitive nature of the course, it is anticipated that most applicants who are offered a place will offer Maths GCSE at A grade - although this obviously depends on the standard of applications in your specific cohort. If you have any further questions about this, it might be useful to contact the admissions team by email at [email protected].

Please feel free to quote me if you have any other questions!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    Beth
    Hi there,

Im looking at Bath as a possible option to study psychology, I was wondering what kind (if any) volunteering/work experience you' had done to support your application in anyway, as I've been told its a good idea, would be nice to find out from someone who has done it all. Also, any general tips for a Bath & psychology student aspirant?!

Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by DaMoore)
    Hi there,

Im looking at Bath as a possible option to study psychology, I was wondering what kind (if any) volunteering/work experience you' had done to support your application in anyway, as I've been told its a good idea, would be nice to find out from someone who has done it all. Also, any general tips for a Bath & psychology student aspirant?!

Thanks!
    Hi,

It's great to hear you are thinking of applying to Bath! Before I applied, I was unsure what kind of work experience would be best as it is often difficult to obtain experience working directly in the field of Psychology e.g. with a clinical psychologist. Therefore, I worked in a nursing home as a weekend assistant. I also volunteered once a week in my local hospital, which involved preparing hot drinks and serving meals to patients in a ward. Both these experiences, although not directly related to Psychology, gave me experience of working with a range of different people in clinical and care settings; as well as helping me to develop my interpersonal skills and to gain more confidence.

In terms of general tips, I found it really useful to do reading around Psychology outside of the A level course, as firstly it gave me more interesting and unique subjects to discuss in my personal statement, and secondly it gave me a clearer idea of why I wanted to study Psychology and what I hope to gain from studying it. If you haven't done so already, I would definitely recommend coming to Bath to see the university for yourself, as it really helped me to get a feel for the atmosphere and helped me to decide whether I could see myself studying here!

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by d8na)
    Hi there! I was wondering what other unis you applied to and why you chose Bath? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

The other universities I applied to were Oxford, UCL, Bristol and Exeter. There were a couple of reasons I decided to come to Bath! Firstly, the course itself was most appealing to me compared to other universities as the methods by which it is assessed are really varied. Whereas some other courses are largely based on exams, the Psychology course at Bath is assessed by a range of essays, exams, presentations and research reports; which I personally felt suited my style of learning better than other courses.

Additionally, I really love the campus as it is fairly compact compared to other universities, meaning you rarely walk across campus without bumping into someone you know! I find it has a real community feel and a really friendly atmosphere. The city of Bath itself also appealed to me as in my opinion it is the perfect size city; it is small enough that it feels safe and familiar, and big enough that there is plenty to do.

All the universities I applied to offered great courses and were ranked fairly similarly in the league tables, however I think the most important thing to consider is whether the course, the university itself, and the city, suit you personally. I think the best way to do this is to look round each one of your options and talk to current students and lecturers, to decide whether you can see yourself studying there!

Beth

ReputationRep:

Beth
    Hi Beth,

I recently received an offer from Bath to study Psychology on the same course that you're doing - 4 years including a placement year. Do you know if it's possible to change to the masters course during the year? And are there many opportunities to find part time jobs?

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hwhj)
    Hi Beth,

I recently received an offer from Bath to study Psychology on the same course that you're doing - 4 years including a placement year. Do you know if it's possible to change to the masters course during the year? And are there many opportunities to find part time jobs?

Thank you!
    Hi there,

I'm Chris, a second year Computer Science student at Bath. Sorry to intrude, but whilst you're waiting on the reply from Beth I can try and offer my two cents on jobs.

I know of people on my course dropped down from / moved up to the masters course during first year so I should imagine the flexibility is there in Psychology too - it is rare that first year work is specialised enough to affect chances of doing a masters - although it must be said that your average mark (at least on my course) must be above a certain % in order to stay on the programme.

I have a part time job in which I work 8 hours a week in the city centre on weekends and I also do this TSR job an hour a week- I've been doing both since I started my degree in September 2015 - there is certainly a wide range of opportunities if you keep your eyes out on JobLink (the SU website for job vacancies on campus and in the Bath area) as well as enquiring in shops/restaurants etc. yourself! I like having a job alongside my studies as it helps me to manage my money a bit better and provides a great distraction when uni work gets a little too much - not to mention the friendships you make with colleagues The best time to look is the first couple of weeks of each semester.

Hope this helps!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwhj)
    Hi Beth,

Thank you!
    When did you receive your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlo17e)
    When did you receive your offer?
    Less than a week ago I think?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.