Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34782123

He may or may not have knelt. Probably didn't. Said he wouldn't.

Earth is still spinning. Sky is still up.

Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    *insert generic Corbyn hates Britain and loves Islamic terrorists comment*

ReputationRep:
    This is like British diplomats refusing to do the kowtow to the Chinese Emperor back then.

ReputationRep:
    The privy council is an archaic institution that remains more for reasons of tradition than anything else. So that certain media outlets tried to make a big thing out of it and the angle of Corbyn's spine depresses me but does not surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The privy council is an archaic institution that remains more for reasons of tradition than anything else. So that certain media outlets tried to make a big thing out of it and the angle of Corbyn's spine depresses me but does not surprise me.
    There is actual a strong tradition of republics not bowing as well. Something about pretending to have a bad knee so you can't kneel.

So it isn't even braking tradition :-/

Complete non story.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm getting sick of these non stories. Did he bow, did he sing, will he wear a poppy. There is plenty wrong with corbyn and plenty of legitimate criticism to be made. We don't need these poorly written hatchet jobs that are floating around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a right winger and I hate the royals so if he didn't kneel or bow (whatever) then good for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The Privy Council isn't archaic in its functions, even if it's old-fashioned in its traditions. There are republics with State Councils that perform a similar function.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.