Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I guess I have a few questions in one really, so here goes:

I have just started my first module towards an English Language and Literature degree with the Open University. When I'm finished, I want to go on to do my teacher training and become a secondary school teacher of English. I'm worried that I won't get onto a PGCE with a qualification from OU - I feel that it's not valued as much as a brick university degree (if that makes sense - do you agree?)

So my plan is to do 2 years with OU and then top up for my 3rd year at a brick university. The problem is however, I only have 2 GCSEs at grade B (through no fault of my own - My Mother took me out of school and only put me through my English GCSE, I did my Maths whilst working as a TA at a school). So I am worried that no university will even consider taking me on. I know that I'm capable of doing my 3rd year AND a PGCE but I don't have the GCSEs or A Levels to show for it.

What are your thoughts? Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethycj)
    Hi,

So I guess I have a few questions in one really, so here goes:

I have just started my first module towards an English Language and Literature degree with the Open University. When I'm finished, I want to go on to do my teacher training and become a secondary school teacher of English. I'm worried that I won't get onto a PGCE with a qualification from OU - I feel that it's not valued as much as a brick university degree (if that makes sense - do you agree?)

So my plan is to do 2 years with OU and then top up for my 3rd year at a brick university. The problem is however, I only have 2 GCSEs at grade B (through no fault of my own - My Mother took me out of school and only put me through my English GCSE, I did my Maths whilst working as a TA at a school). So I am worried that no university will even consider taking me on. I know that I'm capable of doing my 3rd year AND a PGCE but I don't have the GCSEs or A Levels to show for it.

What are your thoughts? Help?
    You need to discuss this with any potential university you might want to apply for.

The OU do a PGCE so I doubt it'd be frowned upon, again talk to some universities which offer PGCE's and ask how they'd feel about an OU degree.

Just be aware that for every year you spend with the OU you lose 1 year of full time funding. Which is fine if the new uni will accept you into 3rd year and you can continue, you can spend up to 3 years with the OU and use the 'gift year' to fund year 3. But any longer than that and you could be looking at funding the year yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer the main point of your question, but OU degrees are valued just as much as those from a bricks-and-mortar university.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    An Open University degree is respectable and every PGCE provider would accept it. Once you have a degree no employer or university will care about your lack off GCSEs as long as you have English and Maths.

I don't think you would be able to transfer from the OU to a brick university. In order to transfer, your modules need to match up, and the OU's system just doesn't translate very well into other uni degree structure. If you can do 120* OU credits in one academic year, you could use them to apply to a brick university (starting from the first year), but whatever you do, don't study over two years because you will lose your student loan entitlement.

*Some universities may even accept 60 credits, email them and ask.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.