Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the UEA for the bio with a foundation year and it requires CCC, I unfortunately received CDD but I will be resitting my exams in those subjects independently and I noticed that there is a contextual offer if:
    • You have previously studied science but your Secondary School had 60% or less students achieving 5+ grade A*-C GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and Maths in 2013 - Data from Department of Education website: www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/
    My school in 2013, got 49%, how can I go about using this to my advantage (if possible) in my application?

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that before and I don't think it's particularly common. The best people to advise you would be UEA. Have you already applied for the course and been rejected? You may get an offer with those grades anyway if they know you are re-sitting.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc93)
    I've never heard of that before and I don't think it's particularly common. The best people to advise you would be UEA. Have you already applied for the course and been rejected? You may get an offer with those grades anyway if they know you are re-sitting.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am currently in my 'gap' year although it's not exactly a break but I have not applied to any courses. I didn't really think about a foundation year before, I hope I can at least get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I am currently in my 'gap' year although it's not exactly a break but I have not applied to any courses. I didn't really think about a foundation year before, I hope I can at least get an offer.
    The uni will be able to see on your UCAS form that you are re-sitting so if your school or college can give you the predicted grades then you should be okay.

Also if you are looking at other foundation courses, I did a foundation year at Canterbury Christ Church which went on to my Bioscience degree. Because it was an integrated year (4 year course) I was able to get student finance for the whole thing. My A-level grades were a lot worse than yours too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc93)
    The uni will be able to see on your UCAS form that you are re-sitting so if your school or college can give you the predicted grades then you should be okay.

Also if you are looking at other foundation courses, I did a foundation year at Canterbury Christ Church which went on to my Bioscience degree. Because it was an integrated year (4 year course) I was able to get student finance for the whole thing. My A-level grades were a lot worse than yours too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I emailed my school about it, they said I would just put I am resitting but I won't have predicted grades which is a bit of an issue

Well done on getting through and doing a course now, set backs are really disheartening but I feel it will all be worth it once I start doing the degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    When I emailed my school about it, they said I would just put I am resitting but I won't have predicted grades which is a bit of an issue

Well done on getting through and doing a course now, set backs are really disheartening but I feel it will all be worth it once I start doing the degree!
    I'm sure there will be a way round that. Is your school providing you with a reference? The uni can always contact your referee if they have any questions.

If you really want to get into a Biology degree then I would recommend checking out Christ Church just to get your hypothetical foot in the door and just in case UEA don't make an offer. I'm in my final year of the course now and the staff have always been really supportive. Unlike some other unis all the lecturers know us by name and it's a nice environment.

Completely sympathise on the set backs! I failed all but one of my A-levels and I'm now on track for a 2:1 in my final year so don't let it get you down!

Good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc93)
    I'm sure there will be a way round that. Is your school providing you with a reference? The uni can always contact your referee if they have any questions.

If you really want to get into a Biology degree then I would recommend checking out Christ Church just to get your hypothetical foot in the door and just in case UEA don't make an offer. I'm in my final year of the course now and the staff have always been really supportive. Unlike some other unis all the lecturers know us by name and it's a nice environment.

Completely sympathise on the set backs! I failed all but one of my A-levels and I'm now on track for a 2:1 in my final year so don't let it get you down!

Good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm hopefully getting my Biology teacher to write the reference for me. I did so bad in year 13, I am lucky that I managed to do well in my ISAs and get an A in one of my year 12 units for chemistry or I would've probably ended up failing overall.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.