Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Article: The six worst ways to choose your A-levels watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're in the middle of choosing your A-levels, this article is all about the WORST criteria that people have used to chose their A-levels. Read more here

How are your A-level choices going? Do you feel like you've made the right decisions, or you need a bit more help?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    #7 - pulling subjects out of a hat.

Nice article

ReputationRep:
    1. You want to be with your friends in class
    We know it’s tempting to just go along with what your best mate is doing so if it turns out to be a boring subject you can sit at the back of the class and gossip. However there’s no way of guaranteeing that you’ll be in the same classes; timetable clashes and --- means you’re unlikely to be able to be placed in the same class.

You need to think about which subjects will help you in the long run and don’t just go along with what someone else is doing. If you have any career plans or ideas about university courses do some research and find out what’s the best subjects to suit your future plans.

2. You really like a particular teacher

If you’re staying at your current school you’ll already have sussed out your teachers, which ones you like and which ones you don’t like so much. Being inspired by a teacher is great but it’ll still take motivation and perseverance to do well at the subject and that’ll all have to come from you.

You shouldn’t choose a subject just because then you’ll get to be in your favourite teacher’s class. At the end of the day your teacher won’t be there with you in the exam hall and it’ll be up to you to have learnt all the stuff they’ve been teaching you.

3. Your parents think it’s a good idea

It’s fine to consult with your parents but don’t let them dictate what they think is best. Parents will have your best interest at heart so it’s a good idea to listen to their advice but (let’s face it) they’ve been out of education for a while and times have changed. You should also get the opinions of your teachers as well, they know your learning strengths and weaknesses best and will be able to give you honest, impartial advice.

Remember- no one should be making this decision for you, get guidance from everyone and anyone but you’ll need to make this decision based on your own preferences and hopes for the future.

4. You think it’s not prestigious or difficult enough

There’s lots of rumours about what A-levels Russell Group universities prefer but this shouldn’t stop you taking a subject you’re really passionate about. You’ve got to spend two years doing these subjects so don’t let yourself get persuaded out of doing something because one particular university might not like it.

All universities will be upfront and honest about which subjects they do and don’t accept so if you have your heart set on a particular university check out their website for the specific criteria.

5. You think it’ll be a bit of a doss

Similarly- you shouldn’t choose your subjects based on how easy you’ve been told it is. Each subject has its own challenges and just because a subject has a reputation for being easy doesn’t mean you’re automatically going to get an A*.

Take time to think carefully about what subjects play to your strengths and which subjects might be challenging for you.

6. You don’t know anything about the subject

It’s time to get researching! Not sure what World Development, Leisure Studies or Biblical Hebrew might consist of? (Why would you- you’ve probably never studied anything similar before). There’s no need to be daunted by new subjects everyone else will be starting from scratch as well and your teacher will start you off easy.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of like what saun saun said, basically choosing your favourite subjects without looking at where they can get you in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    #7 - pulling subjects out of a hat.

Nice article
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Choosing them without considering how well they complement each other. Physics without maths makes life difficult sometimes. A completely random mish-mash can narrow your options.

Too narrow a range can be difficult also. Business studies, accountancy and economics are a bit samey as a trio. Likewise, English lit, English Lang and Theatre Studies overlap too much all at once.

Not taking chemistry if there is any possibility that you might ever want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes even some colleges don't do a particular a level and so the student feels obliged to take a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    You guys gonna rep me for saving you a click or what!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Choosing them without considering how well they complement each other. Physics without maths makes life difficult sometimes. A completely random mish-mash can narrow your options.
    I agree with this, chemistry without maths is hell as well. Choose subjects that will actually mesh well.

ReputationRep:
    i chose physics cause my teacher made it fun to learn, then he left and i spend the whole first year having a breakdown and got a U... read and learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashlxighhh)
    I agree with this, chemistry without maths is hell as well. Choose subjects that will actually mesh well.
    I don't think it's absolutely vital to have complementing courses, unless you want to do something that requires certain A levels. I did French, History, Art and Physics for AS and have five offers from uni and good predicted grades for the end of year 13. I did drop physics so it could be argued my other subjects aren't too dissimilar, but oh well..

ReputationRep:

Too narrow a range can be difficult also. Business studies, accountancy and economics are a bit samey as a trio. Likewise, English lit, English Lang and Theatre Studies overlap too much all at once.

Not taking chemistry if there is any possibility that you might ever want to do medicine.
    It generally depends on the persons interest.

Choose subjects that you know you will enjoy, not the ones you think you will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    7. Picking 2 out of 4 of your subjects just to be around a girl you were unrequitedly infatuated with. ( I ****ing hate these lessons )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxbricxnt)
    i chose physics cause my teacher made it fun to learn, then he left and i spend the whole first year having a breakdown and got a U... read and learn
    i had exactly the same experience but with chemistry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Sort of like what saun saun said, basically choosing your favourite subjects without looking at where they can get you in life.
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Choose subjects that you know you will enjoy, not the ones you think you will enjoy.
    I went against all these ideas whoops

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I went against all these ideas whoops
    So did I. Now I just have to live with it. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    You do subjects just cos ur older siblings did them...guilty!
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    similary don't not choose a subject if you don't like a teacher. I chose one of my subjects knowing that i would get a teacher i didn't like but i loved it so much that i chose it anyway. i actually ended up liking that teacher so don't let that stop you

(Original post by IAMADAM27)

2. You really like a particular teacher
    If you’re staying at your current school you’ll already have sussed out your teachers, which ones you like and which ones you don’t like so much. Being inspired by a teacher is great but it’ll still take motivation and perseverance to do well at the subject and that’ll all have to come from you.

You shouldn’t choose a subject just because then you’ll get to be in your favourite teacher’s class. At the end of the day your teacher won’t be there with you in the exam hall and it’ll be up to you to have learnt all the stuff they’ve been teaching you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    similary don't not choose a subject if you don't like a teacher. I chose one of my subjects knowing that i would get a teacher i didn't like but i loved it so much that i chose it anyway. i actually ended up liking that teacher so don't let that stop you
    This is really true! Far too many people are discouraged by one teacher! Cmon guys Don't let one teacher potentially change your entire career path!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.