Turn on thread page Beta

Brother keeps unplugging the Internet. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For the past 3 days my brother has been unplugging the Internet as we have the router in his bedroom next to mine. He's autistic, and is doing it purely to punish me since he's admitted that he 'hates' me. I have always done my best to help him and be nice but I know he is jealous of me and is trying to be controlling.

We used to have the router downstairs, but since I game a lot the wifi connection would drop and I couldn't play online so it was moved to my brothers room so we could both have direct cable connections for our consoles. Since it's moved, he's been messing with it to punish me if I do something he doesn't like. I am currently unemployed so this takes away my ability to do anything, from actual job searching to gaming when I'm not. I can't afford to move out.

I don't know what to do, my Dad sitting in his bedroom is the only way I can post this right now. My mum seems to think we can't get an access point put into my bedroom for the router.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    For the past 3 days my brother has been unplugging the Internet as we have the router in his bedroom next to mine. He's autistic, and is doing it purely to punish me since he's admitted that he 'hates' me. I have always done my best to help him and be nice but I know he is jealous of me and is trying to be controlling.We used to have the router downstairs, but since I game a lot the wifi connection would drop and I couldn't play online so it was moved to my brothers room so we could both have direct cable connections for our consoles. Since it's moved, he's been messing with it to punish me if I do something he doesn't like. I am currently unemployed so this takes away my ability to do anything, from actual job searching to gaming when I'm not. I can't afford to move out.I don't know what to do, my Dad sitting in his bedroom is the only way I can post this right now. My mum seems to think we can't get an access point put into my bedroom for the router.

if you moved it into his room, can you not just move it into your room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    if you moved it into his room, can you you not just move it into your room?
    My Mum is telling me that there's only two access points for the phone line to connect the router in the house. The front room and my brother's room which is directly above it. I have no idea if I'd be able to get something put in so I could move it to my room. I'm not really clued up on such things.

ReputationRep:
    get an extension on the cable for the router and have it in your room instead? or generally another area which is not your brothers room?
    the part which physically plugs into the router, there will be extension cables which can lengthen it, therefore you will be able to feed the cable from your brothers room to any other room instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    My Mum is telling me that there's only two access points for the phone line to connect the router in the house. The front room and my brother's room which is directly above it. I have no idea if I'd be able to get something put in so I could move it to my room. I'm not really clued up on such things.
    In that case, bribe him with chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fideo94)
    Who the fcuk is this OP???
    Lol

How you gonn post this kinda bullsh*t on here?? Oh well.
    What exact problem do you have with my post? All sorts of stuff gets posted on these forums, yet my asking for advice is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zorrozoidberg)
    get an extension on the cable for the router and have it in your room instead? or generally another area which is not your brothers room?
    the part which physically plugs into the router, there will be extension cables which can lengthen it, therefore you will be able to feed the cable from your brothers room to any other room instead.
    I'll try and have a look, currently the only thing we have is the long Ethernet cable which runs between our rooms and is tacked to the wall.. I assume you don't mean that one?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Passive-aggressive *******. Can your parents not tell him to stop being such a ****?

(Original post by fideo94)
    Who the fcuk is this OP???
    Lol

How you gonn post this kinda bullsh*t on here?? Oh well.
    I see you're new. On TSR, this kind of thread is all part of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Passive-aggressive *******. Can your parents not tell him to stop being such a ****?.
    If only it were only so. It's extremely hard to reason with him due to the autism, he won't see himself as being in the wrong because of how his logic works. For instance the other day I asked him to stop unplugging the power cable to the router, so he flat out denied that the plug even existed despite me holding it up before him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    In that case, bribe him with chocolate.
    A temporary distraction. Although I did consider bribing him with a can of Pepsi, but I feel he's gone beyond that point now.

ReputationRep:
    Use something along the lines of this:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/stor...net-bridges-n/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alrounder79)
    Use something along the lines of this:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/stor...net-bridges-n/
    This is actually really helpful, didn't know about these. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    This is actually really helpful, didn't know about these. Thanks!
    No worries, now go game in peace!

ReputationRep:
    If my brother did this halfway into a lol game , i'd go teach him a lesson.

But since your brother is austic , using the same method won't work. Could bribing work? idek

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.