Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

should you be grateful to your parents for bringing you into this world? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    from an objective standpoint, you are not obliged
    you had no influence in their decision to have you, and any ill consequences, such as genetic diseases are on them, not you
    very few parents factor in the possibility that their child will have a miserable existence, such as being bulled, having health defects etc

having children is selfish, although it is made out as though it isnt

come at me brahs

ReputationRep:
    Yes, especially your mum - she carried you for 9 months and endured the pain of actually having you lol. Other than that, they raised you, gave you shelter etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiduciam)
    Yes, especially your mum - she carried you for 9 months and endured the pain of actually having you lol. Other than that, they raised you, gave you shelter etc
    what if the person ended up living a miserable life?
    should they be thankful they were brought into an existence that they didnt want?

people that committ suicide go through far more pain than child birth, therefore they shouldnt be thankful they were given life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    what if the person ended up living a miserable life?
    should they be thankful they were brought into an existence that they didnt want?

people that committ suicide go through far more pain than child birth, therefore they shouldnt be thankful they were given life
    Miserable life due to what? If parents aren't at fault, then yes they should still be grateful. If the parents give the kid hell for no reason, then ofc they're awful parents.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I mean if they've raised you well and loved you, you should be grateful for that, but you are not obliged to be happy about your very existence.

ReputationRep:
    Always.
    It's your own individual perception which makes your life appear to you as; good, bad, happy, sad, worthwhile, damning, etc. Everyone, at birth, has as much opportunity to be happy and fulfilled as the next. Personal circumstance can't always be avoided; i.e being born into poverty, born into disease/medical condition. But the way you look upon your life is all on you, it's your decision to see light in shadows or shadows in light. perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly bitter that my mum smoked throughout her pregnancy with me, I have a fair few health problems that I wonder maybe I wouldn't have if she hadn't. She feels terrible about it though so I don't bring it up or anything.

I don't feel like I owe them anything for having me, I often wish they hadn't because they would both have had much better lives without having a baby while being pretty young, it makes me feel guilty that my mum couldn't follow her dreams because she had a baby to bring up while still being a teenager

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is quiet a philosophical question, a pragmatic answer would be no. Simply because you didn´t ask to "be brought into this world". Also they actively "brought you into this world", which means there was a self-motivation for doing so. This could be because they wanted to "have" a child, don´t want to be alone when they are old or simply because it "happened". But what most people will probably refer to when answering this question though is "Should you be grateful to your parents for raising you?". The answer to that question is it depends. Parents have a legal duty to raise their children, to protect and feed them. If this is the only thing your parents did (in Britain - it is different for the third world), then no. But everything that you get that goes beyond that - like the love, attention, affection, that someone deeply cares about you and so on - you cannot take for granted. That is the things you should be grateful about. I am not grateful to my parents for "bringing me into this world" but I am eternally grateful to them for all the great things they have given me in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Grateful?! For what?! Their sex drive and lack of care with contraception? Nuh uh, it's because of them that I have to sit exams, fund my own way through university, pay taxes, put up with tories, grow old, and eventually die. Nope.

I hate this idea of being obligated to your parents. They need to earn our respect as we should try to earn theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    from an objective standpoint, you are not obliged
    you had no influence in their decision to have you, and any ill consequences, such as genetic diseases are on them, not you
    very few parents factor in the possibility that their child will have a miserable existence, such as being bulled, having health defects etc

having children is selfish, although it is made out as though it isnt

come at me brahs

You cannot claim to be against the decision before even having experienced such a decision. You had no knowledge of what your life would be like because you weren't born. You were only able to evaluate how life was like until after you were born. So you should be grateful because now you can begin evaluating life. If you are not grateful and you would rather just be non-existent, I hardly think that's the case. One couldn't have lived your entire life in complete and utter misery; if one did and would feel that it is in the best interests to never be born and never be part of this life, then one would ought to commit suicide.
    In fact the whole idea of comparing non-existence to existence is absolutely ridiculous and falls apart whichever way you go.
    Mayhap the answer you seek is for the question about whether the quality of life after birth is what one should be grateful for? Well that's a different debate.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.