Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm applying for queen mary, London, and to save some money I will live at a relative's house instead of the accommodation. The house is near wood green (45 minutes to uni by train) and I will live alone there, but still, will i have any difficulties with making friends and having a social life, because I'm kinda freaking out that i will spend the next 4 years alone and without any friends

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'll just have to make more effort. And unfortunately you may be left out of more spontaneous outings, not purposefully but just because it wouldn't be possible to involve you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikos mo.)
    So I'm applying for queen mary, London, and to save some money I will live at a relative's house instead of the accommodation. The house is near wood green (45 minutes to uni by train) and I will live alone there, but still, will i have any difficulties with making friends and having a social life, because I'm kinda freaking out that i will spend the next 4 years alone and without any friends
    I live at home and it honestly isn't that bad. Most universities will set up "Living at home" socials before you start. My uni did and I met a girl who lives near me and we get the train together in the morning. I am only 20 minutes away from university by train. I knew people on my course before starting which definitely helped. Just really put yourself out there, join applicant pages and find and chat to people on your course. Admittedly i don't go to may nights out because it is a little inconvenient commuting back and forth but i stay with my course friends if there is something I really want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Genrally I say yes but in London it's a little different the under ground makes all the difference but you'll need to make an effort asking hay are you guys going out tonight before or after lectures going out to socials and society also helps it's the spontaneous party's and things you'll miss and that's when the most fun stuff happens.

So will you have no friends? no. Will you miss out? yes.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.