Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry in advance for the long rant and possible typos.So I started studying at Bournemouth University aroundlate September time, and since then I’ve had difficulty making a strong friendgroup. All my college friends and I still talk every night on Facebook andskype depending if were gaming, but they all went to the same university well Idecided to move away.I currently live in a student dorm with 4 other peopleand I don’t really know them. I’ve talked to them now and again but there notreally the people I usually hang about with. They’re nice people just differenthobbies. They like drinking and clubbing well I like watching anime and playinggames.I’ve made a few “friends” in uni however there sort ofclassroom pals rather than friends. We hang out between classes and chilltogether but never outside of uni. I made an effort to try making friends byjoining the anime society as well as the gamer’s society however my social anxietygot the better of me. I still go just don’t talk much.
    honestly I wish i could make one good friend that I can hang out with and go to watch a film or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as you. What makes it worse is that I commute now. I started off living at halls but moved out due to family issues. I made friends with my flatmates but they're like yours. They drink and go out clubbing nearly every night and I'm not like that. I'd rather stay in and watch movies
    I haven't made much friends in my course either. Just acquaintances. We talk when we have seminars but other than that, I sit by myself in my lectures. My coursemates are mostly flatmates and therefore made friends before going to lectures. I was the only one in my flat that did my course. I also suffer from social anxiety. I find it extremely difficult to talk to people and have a major fear of rejection. I guess I should really change this now that I'm thinking about it.
    I guess for me it'll be more difficult to make friends due to the fact that I have to catch the train but maybe strike up a conversation. Both you and I are going to have to move out of our comfort zone.
    Just to let you know, you're not on your own

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response. yea im trying to move out of my comfort zone but god its hard just like you i have social anxiety as well as a crippling fear of rejection but i guess i gotta just try more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.