Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Competitiveness: Postgraduate vs. undergraduate courses watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know whether it is easier/less competitive to land a place on a postgraduate course than an undergraduate course. Since I come from a country where university education is free, a lot of people also do a Master´s after their Bachelor´s degree. I heard the competition in the UK especially for the undergraduate courses is really big and I wonder if equally many people also do a Master´s afterwards. I am gonna apply for a Postgraduate course at some better ranked UK universities (not Oxbridge level though) soon and I wonder how good my chances are for getting an offer since the universities told me there are around 80 spaces in their programs (which sounded like this is supposed to be a lot). Side note: I meet the entry requirements and I am wholly self-funded. Problem is just I have had a some bad individual grades in my 1st and 2nd year, so I think my chances depend on the competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lagona)
    I would like to know whether it is easier/less competitive to land a place on a postgraduate course than an undergraduate course. Since I come from a country where university education is free, a lot of people also do a Master´s after their Bachelor´s degree. I heard the competition in the UK especially for the undergraduate courses is really big and I wonder if equally many people also do a Master´s afterwards. I am gonna apply for a Postgraduate course at some better ranked UK universities (not Oxbridge level though) soon and I wonder how good my chances are for getting an offer since the universities told me there are around 80 spaces in their programs (which sounded like this is supposed to be a lot). Side note: I meet the entry requirements and I am wholly self-funded. Problem is just I have had a some bad individual grades in my 1st and 2nd year, so I think my chances depend on the competition.
    It really depends on the uni, the course and the calibre of other applicants. If the course has 80 places and they expect 150 applicants who exceed the entry requirements, then it will be incredibly competitive. If the course has 80 places and they expect 50 applications, then you'll probably get in if you meet the entry requirements, have passable references and your application shows that you can string two sentences together.

In short, unless you know how many people will be applying for those 80 places, that info isn't terribly useful.

ReputationRep:
    Generally it is less competitive for post graduate, and normally a UK student would go to a higher ranked uni to do their post grad because less people in the UK tend to stay on for a masters compared with some European countries.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.