Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it normal to get bad grades in the first term of sixth form? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really good at my subjects at GCSE, I'm taking English Language, Literature, and ICT, I got As and an A* in them.

I'm struggling with them all right now, in particular, ICT which is what I got the A* in. I recently did a test and got a grade E. The same for English Lit with an recent essay, I got a D.

Is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. My physics and maths grades have dropped from As to DS ranging to Us
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yes.

I got an A* in ICT GCSE too, started year 12 getting REALLY bad grades in my essays (to the point where my teachers were like 'wtf is going on' :lolwut:) and I just carried on practising throughout the year which clearly worked since I came out with an A this summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilygrey99)
    I used to be really good at my subjects at GCSE, I'm taking English Language, Literature, and ICT, I got As and an A* in them.

I'm struggling with them all right now, in particular, ICT which is what I got the A* in. I recently did a test and got a grade E. The same for English Lit with an recent essay, I got a D.

Is this normal?
    Yes it's very common because it is a big step up from GCSEs to A-Levels. My piece of advice would be to tackle the problem early and actually talk to your teachers about why you didn't manage to achieve a higher grade/what you did wrong/what could have gone better. Be honest with yourself as well, what you put in is what you'll get most of the time.

Just don't get disheartened because it is hard, you just need to work hard and actually find out what it is you need to do to improve, not just wait around to see their comments when they mark your work.

Use your initiative and create good habits early on. Review everything you do every weekend and keep notes in order, perhaps even make flashcards or some form of revision material every week or two so you can keep it all in your mind and understand it better.

Best of luck with your AS levels!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'm doing the same except ICT and honestly, I'm in the same boat as you. My Media Studies course is a piece of cake and I should be getting Distinctions but English Language and English Literature can be tricky. I'd say the former is easier than the latter because if you remember technical words then it is far easier. The missed mistake I'm making is writing too much like an GCSE student and re telling a story rather than analysing. Cheer up, it'll get better.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in ICT but now getting an E
    I got a A in business but now getting an D

ReputationRep:
    I would say it is pretty normal, some people just have that shot of reality and realise that AS and A-Levels are no joke! Let it be motivation to spurn you on further.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely in the same boat as you. Having achieved a string of A and A* grades at GCSE, I feel the huge jump in the workload at AS. I've picked tough subjects such as maths and physics which are undoubtedly one of the hardest subjects at AS, all I'm doing now is practising and knuckling down and hoping to improve by the mocks.

ReputationRep:
    It's not unusual. I got E and D respectively in my Biology and Chemistry mocks at the beginning of year 12. Got B's in them both at AS, 2 and 4 marks off an A respectively, and on track for A's this year. The jump takes some getting used to, but if you're a hard worker you'll get there in the end. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilygrey99)

Is this normal?
    yes yes it is, everyone does better at A2

ReputationRep:
    Initially, its absolutely nothing to worry about - at AS making mistakes is a given, and without them you will not be as able to progress to higher grades. I certainly had a few slip-ups in my AS year - and I came out with good grades that I am immensely happy with.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.