Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I divide this with polynomial division (c4) watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing partial fractions which is easy enough but there is this one situation which I cant solve.

Here is the question
    Name:  6af75de890d49e490bbdc4896e9f0971.png
Views: 63
Size:  1.8 KB

I understand that it is improper and I have to use polynomial division to split it into a form which I can work with. I understand the concept of this method and I can do questions where you divide x^2 terms but I dont know how you start this off. do I divide 4x by x^2, 6x or something else?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BenGeorge)
    I am doing partial fractions which is easy enough but there is this one situation which I cant solve.

Here is the question
    Name:  6af75de890d49e490bbdc4896e9f0971.png
Views: 63
Size:  1.8 KB

I understand that it is improper and I have to use polynomial division to split it into a form which I can work with. I understand the concept of this method and I can do questions where you divide x^2 terms but I dont know how you start this off. do I divide 4x by x^2, 6x or something else?

Thanks
    Actually, I think you'd be okay with just starting with (A/(x+3)) + (B/(x+2)^2) like when you have a repeated linear factor (I think that it's a proper fraction already).

Which is why you're having trouble dividing 4x by x^2, which is what you would start with in long division.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Actually, I think you'd be okay with just starting with (A/(x+3)) + (B/(x+2)^2) like when you have a repeated linear factor (I think that it's a proper fraction already).

Which is why you're having trouble dividing 4x by x^2, which is what you would start with in long division.
    ok it seems i don't know how to identify an improper fraction. I thought it was when the numerator was greater than the denominator. how would I tell that it is proper or improper on an algebraic fraction?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BenGeorge)
    ok it seems i don't know how to identify an improper fraction. I thought it was when the numerator was greater than the denominator. how would I tell that it is proper or improper on an algebraic fraction?
    That;s true, but for fractions with polynomials it's improper if the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator.

The degree of a polynomial is the greatest number to which x is raised in that polynomial, so for (1-x) it's 1, (x+7x^2 +5) it's 2, etc.

In this case, what are the degrees of the numerator and the denominator? So is it proper or improper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    That;s true, but for fractions with polynomials it's improper if the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator.

The degree of a polynomial is the greatest number to which x is raised in that polynomial, so for (1-x) it's 1, (x+7x^2 +5) it's 2, etc.

In this case, what are the degrees of the numerator and the denominator? So is it proper or improper?
    oh i remember my teacher saying this now. Thanks buddy

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.