Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to find a sequence such that Sn is divergent but |Sn| is convergent. I can't quite figure out a sequence that satisfies this; I thought of Sn = (-1)^n so that |Sn| = 1 but (-1)^n can't be considered divergent, can it?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
    I've been asked to find a sequence such that Sn is divergent but |Sn| is convergent. I can't quite figure out a sequence that satisfies this; I thought of Sn = (-1)^n so that |Sn| = 1 but (-1)^n can't be considered divergent, can it?
    Since a divergent sequence is one that isn't convergent, then yes, that's fine. It doesn't have to go zooming off to infinities, just not converge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Since a divergent sequence is one that isn't convergent, then yes, that's fine. It doesn't have to go zooming off to infinities, just not converge.
    ah I see. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
    ah I see. Thanks!
    Yeah that is a good answer. Intuitively you can see that the sequence sn=(-1)^n would diverge by supposing that it does converge but then it has a distinct limit L say. But what could L possibly be since the sequence takes a different value for each successive n then it is clear (and fairly straightforward) to prove it has no limit. I.e it diverges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorform)
    Yeah that is a good answer. Intuitively you can see that the sequence sn=(-1)^n would diverge by supposing that it does converge but then it has a distinct limit L say. But what could L possibly be since the sequence takes a different value for each successive n then it is clear (and fairly straightforward) to prove it has no limit. I.e it diverges.
    Or use:

Converges => Cauchy. But |a_{n+1}-a_n| = 2 so sequence can't be Cauchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Or use:

Converges => Cauchy. But |a_{n+1}-a_n| = 2 so sequence can't be Cauchy.
    That is a very nice way to prove it imo much more quicker than my way. Although it does rely on knowing Cauchy sequences which OP may not have covered (yet).

Thanks for sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, taking \varepsilon = 1 in the definition of convergence should get you an easy contradiction to it being convergent.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.