Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My AC is on Monday, and I received my invite yesterday.

I'm a second year on a 4 year course, which means I missed out on SWs last year, so I haven't had any practice apart from walk through mock with Gwyn Day when I went to the Bright Network IB Networking Event.

Advice and tips please!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello,

Congratulations on being invited to an assessment centre!

The key to preparing for an assessment centre is being aware of what employers will be looking for - AC's offer companies a chance to observe the way candidates operate and interact with each other and so gain more information on the candidates’ abilities, with respect to key job demands, than they might otherwise by conventional interview.

It is essential that you try to act naturally - you should be confident in your own abilities, as it is those which have got you to the assessment centre in the first place!

Think beforehand what qualities and skills the assessors will be looking for - these will include the soft skills needed to work with others, such as interpersonal and behavioural skills.

You are likely to face any of the following tasks at an AC:

- One-to-one interviews
    - Psychometric testing
    - In-tray exercises
    - Group Discussions
    - Role-plays
    - Presentations

Prepare for each of these accordingly - including practising some common interview questions, practising a few psychometric tests (Assessment Day and SHL both offer practice tests) and reading up on the best ways to interact during group discussions and role-plays.

You can find out more about preparing for assessment centres over on Milkround here, including 'a graduate's guide to assessment centres.'

Do you have any specific questions? Good luck!

Chantelle & The Milkround team

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.