The Student Room Group

Working in an industry I've no interest in

I was hoping that I could gain some useful advice from users here. I graduated in July 15' and during the summer worked for a fresh produce marketing business. Following on from this I was recommended for a job at an agricultural firm. I have only just started this job but feel already that it isn't the right area for me. My background is in food (as is my degree and I have a strong interest here too/relevant experience).

I decided to take the job as it was off the back of a strong reference from my summer employer and I don't like the idea of not being employed (both from the perspective of potentially having a blank CV and for personal wellbeing it is better to be employed). My previous boss recommended I take the job even though he knew full well that food is my real passion, encouraging me to look for new roles whilst being employed by the agricultural business stating that it won't look bad to leave seeing as I have a strong CV and am still young.

I would like to work in NPD/ Technical/Buying for a food business as that is the kind of stuff that I find really fulfilling and enjoyable. Graduate schemes in these areas are open at the moment and I don't want to delay applications by a further year by not applying.

In my current job the pay is 22k, get a car, fuel, Phone, pay review after 6 months, bonus, wear smart casual, get to stay in hotels/eat in restaurants (all on expenses), plus various other positives after 6 months. Negatives are a lot of the work is away from home during the week, extensive travel within the UK, working outside, often alone and no one in the business is my age. Plus not doing a role I want (sales) and in-the-field based stuff. Also unsure about career development as they have never employed anyone as young as me before. I also have pretty bad anxiety problems which could be why I have a perceived negative outlook.

So my question is; do I follow my true interest into a career which I find more interesting (food) or just see how a job in an agricultural business works out for a few months before applying for other roles (bearing in mind most if not all schemes will be closed).

I would greatly appreciate serious responses. Thanks for your time.
Reply 1
Your job sounds great! But if it's not what you want to do, then you've answered your own question. Keep the job, but keep looking and applying elsewhere. Always follow your true interest. You'll always beat yourself up about it 10 years down the line.
Reply 2
Bump
Original post by JD1lla
Your job sounds great! But if it's not what you want to do, then you've answered your own question. Keep the job, but keep looking and applying elsewhere. Always follow your true interest. You'll always beat yourself up about it 10 years down the line.

Basically this.
I would stay in the job because you would end up back in square 1, you leave a job for one you haven't found, unless it's a temporary job in which you won't stay for long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending