The Student Room Group

The END of GCSE and A level ICT

Poll

Should there be a GCSE and A level in ICT?

The government's decided not to continue GCSE and A level ICT, the last entries will be in September 2016 taking exams in 2018.

After this only GCSE and A level Computer Science will be available, with ICT only available in vocational qualifications.

What do we think of this? Good decision or not?

There's a petition out there trying to get it reversed https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111693
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm taking GCSE computing at the moment and after looking at the ICT specification online it looks very different - it's not about how computers work and how to program, but learning how to use software. But I think that the ICT course looks ideal for people who want to work for businesses and need to show that they are good at Microsoft Office and admin stuff like that, so I think they should still offer it as a GCSE or as a BTEC.
ICT was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE so I'm a little disappointed by this even though I can see the reasoning behind it. It's a really easy subject to pass (80% coursework when I did it) but students use computers so much now that it seems a bit of a pointless subject.

I think the ECDL should be offered in it's place though, as some employers do ask for IT qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending