Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiety is causing depression watch

Announcements

I've been "the quiet one" for as long as I can remember, but unfortunately about a year ago now I realised that shyness had developed into anxiety, in particular social anxiety.
    At school I was just the one who wouldn't raise their hand to answer questions, but now it's more serious than that and I find it so difficult to look people in the eye let alone speak to them.
    I get panic attacks whenever I have to do something I haven't done before (outside of my comfort zone) and because of this it means that I haven't gone to university, I haven't got any friends, I've never had a boyfriend, I don't talk to anyone except my family, I haven't been able to have driving lessons and I don't have a job or any career prospects.
    My anxiety has now caused me to feel really depressed and just rubbish and pathetic.
    I'm 19 now and just fed up of feeling this way. I'm going to the doctors next week again but no doubt they'll just prescribe me with some other medication that has no effect whatsoever.

Any advice on what to do? Has anyone else been in this situation before? How did you recover? What options do I have?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling this way. I'm in a very similar situation myself and can absolutely understand where you're coming from, especially the part about breaking free from your comfort zone and trying new things; I just struggle to find the motivation to do so myself.
    Have you tried asking your doctor to refer you for therapy? I'm currently receiving CBT. If I'm completely honest I don't feel like it's helping me at all, though I believe it may be because my issues derive from depression more so than anxiety, and from what I've experienced at least, CBT seems to focus heavily on anxiety disorders, so perhaps it would suit you better than it does me.
    One of my biggest regrets is not seeking help when I really needed it, so if you don't feel like your doctor is listening to your concerns, and working with you to find a solution, perhaps try speaking to a different one.
    Hope things get better for you soon, feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dropout_06)
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling this way. I'm in a very similar situation myself and can absolutely understand where you're coming from, especially the part about breaking free from your comfort zone and trying new things; I just struggle to find the motivation to do so myself.
    Have you tried asking your doctor to refer you for therapy? I'm currently receiving CBT. If I'm completely honest I don't feel like it's helping me at all, though I believe it may be because my issues derive from depression more so than anxiety, and from what I've experienced at least, CBT seems to focus heavily on anxiety disorders, so perhaps it would suit you better than it does me.
    One of my biggest regrets is not seeking help when I really needed it, so if you don't feel like your doctor is listening to your concerns, and working with you to find a solution, perhaps try speaking to a different one.
    Hope things get better for you soon, feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
    I agree with this post. The absolute worst thing you can do is suffer alone. I did a similar thing for a couple years and all it does is make things worse. You should see your GP. They will likely put you on the waiting list for CBT (this used to be around 6/8 weeks) and offer you medication. I have also had quite a lot of CBT and don't think it helped that much. It does help a lot of people, so everybody should try it who is suffering from anxiety and/or depression. Medication had a bigger effect for me.

I have definitely not recovered, but I believe the medication has had a positive effect on my mental health. I still find it hard to do social things and go out, but I'm better than I was.

ReputationRep:
    hey, anxiety is tough and there are many ways that it can be dealt with, if you tell the doctor you dont want to be on medication, they should send a referal through to IAPT and they can help you get access to therapies that can help you, and sometimes i find that once i am actually out of my room or house and going to the thing that is causing the worry because it helps make you realise that its not as bad, but thats just me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.