Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am applying for university this year and am slightly confused whether I need to add a couple of U grades from previous colleges. Let me break down my story briefly.

In 2013/14 I studied AS Biology and AS Geography of which I got U's, however I never received a formal certificate for these. The only paperwork I received for these was the results sheet from results day. After these results I decided to get my act together and try again at a different college. I retook AS biology and got a C (however I am retaking an exam so this could potentially rise to B). I did not carry on geography.
    I am currently studying A-level Biology and am applying for university.

Do I need to add these U grades to my UCAS form? I'm unsure whether they were 'cashed in' or not.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You need to declare every grade you have. However a U mean you did not receive a grade meaning that no you do not need to tell ucas. I've just been through the same dilemma in sixth form but they assured me i didn't need to put it on there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _annienicholls96)
    You need to declare every grade you have. However a U mean you did not receive a grade meaning that no you do not need to tell ucas. I've just been through the same dilemma in sixth form but they assured me i didn't need to put it on there!
    Thank you for the reply!

If it's not too much trouble, could you explain your situation briefly and why they said you didn't need to declare it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did A level Geography and Psychology (alongside others) and got an E in geo and a U in psych. Retook the year and geography - got it up to a C and dropped psychology. When i got round to sorting out my ucas i freaked out and thought i had to tell the uni's all my grades including my U in psych but my ucas adviser ensured me that it doesn't need to go up as it's not considered a grade! Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you are wrong. Ucas is very clear about this.
    http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionsTea)
    Hi,

I am applying for university this year and am slightly confused whether I need to add a couple of U grades from previous colleges. Let me break down my story briefly.

In 2013/14 I studied AS Biology and AS Geography of which I got U's, however I never received a formal certificate for these. The only paperwork I received for these was the results sheet from results day. After these results I decided to get my act together and try again at a different college. I retook AS biology and got a C (however I am retaking an exam so this could potentially rise to B). I did not carry on geography.

Do I need to add these U grades to my UCAS form? I'm unsure whether they were 'cashed in' or not.

Thank you
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3538633
    Read the first two posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3538633
    Read the first two posts.
    Thank you very much for this. I was not aware that was there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I've gotten conflicting info from UCAS on the phone in the past unfortunately.

But I do think you're right. There're quite a few questions answered on the UCAS BLOG and in reply to someone's comment, a person from UCAS wrote:

Hi Hiff. You will need to enter your U grade on the application form even if you are completing retakes.

and again

Hi there. If the G grade was certificated then you will need to enter this on your application, this will be the same for the U grade - you only need to add a qualification/grade is it has been certificated. If both have been certificated then you will need to add both grades including the retake.

http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/entering-levels-and-as-levels-on-your.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/entering-levels-and-as-levels-on-your.html[color=#505050]
    I've gotten conflicting info from UCAS on the phone in the past unfortunately.

But I do think you're right. There're quite a few questions answered on the UCAS BLOG and in reply to someone's comment, a person from UCAS wrote:

Hi Hiff. You will need to enter your U grade on the application form even if you are completing retakes.

and again

Hi there. If the G grade was certificated then you will need to enter this on your application, this will be the same for the U grade - you only need to add a qualification/grade is it has been certificated. If both have been certificated then you will need to add both grades including the retake.

http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/entering-levels-and-as-levels-on-your.html
    Thanks for this. It's very helpful. We're in touch with Ucas now. There have been several reports of advice given on the phone which conflicts with the very clear written declaration and the written advice they give. It used to be the case a few years ago that Us did not need to be declared, but that has changed. It is pretty obvious that not putting Us onto an application changes the applicant's profile completely and presents a very different picture to the universities and that is what the declaration itself says.
    http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
    We'll post back what we get from Ucas.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi,

Thank you
    Hi LionsTea

I have been in touch with UCAS directly, we partner with UCAS to ensure that we we advise students correctly when it comes to matters like these.

Carnationlilyrose is absolutely correct and UCAS have confirmed to me that you must declare all grades including Us and retakes.

Thanks
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I retook AS biology and got a C (however I am retaking an exam so this could potentially rise to B)
    Just be careful about how many times you retake a module, and only retake it if you are certain that you can improve your grade - make sure you put enough work in to turn that potential B into a guaranteed B

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the confusion. I assumed the U would not be certified, but thank you for correcting my mistake none the less, I just went with what my school had told me
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry for the confusion. I assumed the U would not be certified, but thank you for correcting my mistake none the less, I just went with what my school had told me
    This is one of those areas where UCAS have given conflicting advice - it's no surprise that schools don't always have the right answer either.

Generally the rule is: declare everything in your application and allow universities to judge what is relevant.

Withholding information isn't a good idea, and while it might improve your chances of getting an offer in a small handful of cases those offers could well be based on the wrong evidence and you could be setting yourself up for failure at a later date (eg you may get an offer from a university that your wouldn't have got otherwise - because they have evidence that applicants with U grades in certain subjects have a very high risk of failing or dropping out - offers gained in these cases aren't getting one over on the system, they're putting applicants at higher risk of failure).

If you've applied without declaring U grades you can email [email protected] and get the grades added in and then contact your universities to let them know about the change once ucas confirm it. It's very unlikely to result in changes to any offers you have (and only in the case where the change means you're at very high risk of failing on the degree course).

ReputationRep:
    I have the same dilemma, the bloody school cashed in my use of maths and economics U, how ever this was done in my first year 12 and I have extenuating circumstances, also the whole class failed and the course isn't done at the school anymore and I'm from a deprived area, but I want to do economics at uni, if I have an exceptional reference, personal statement and good predicted grades now then it shouldn't matter much right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlimShady96)
    I have the same dilemma, the bloody school cashed in my use of maths and economics U, how ever this was done in my first year 12 and I have extenuating circumstances, also the whole class failed and the course isn't done at the school anymore and I'm from a deprived area, but I want to do economics at uni, if I have an exceptional reference, personal statement and good predicted grades now then it shouldn't matter much right?
    Nope. I applied with EEUU the first time and ABC the second time (predicted AAB) and got all my offers including Birmingham and Cardiff.

Which Universities are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's great! Thing is im applying with CDUU this year, 1 U was from 2 years ago and the other U is from last year and both these subjects strongly relate to the one I want to study, but this year I'm predicted A*BCb, the A* in my native language (I rang up and asked if the accept the language)

also I will have an excellent reference and ps but my chances are slim still and I'm thinking of changing some ambitious choices..
    The ones I want to apply to are Westminster, goldsmiths, Aston, Liverpool, for economics and Sheffield for Russian and economics

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.