Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since starting in summer, my tutor has been talking about the 14th of november as the day to get personal statements in to her. I've not quite finished mine, but I'm almost there. I asked her for some advice on this yesterday, and she was shocked, as apparently the 14th isn't just when the personal statement is due in, but the day the full UCAS application is paid for and sent.

I can't see anything about the 14th on the UCAS website, so do you think this is just a date set by my college to scare people into getting it done early, or am I screwed and unable to apply now because It's late.

ReputationRep:
    She's lying. There is no deadline prior to 15th Jan. Call her out on the lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    She's lying. There is no deadline prior to 15th Jan. Call her out on the lies.
    see, i knew this! i'll obviously get it done as quick as possible, but there's enough to stress over never mind made up deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW1988)
    Since starting in summer, my tutor has been talking about the 14th of november as the day to get personal statements in to her. I've not quite finished mine, but I'm almost there. I asked her for some advice on this yesterday, and she was shocked, as apparently the 14th isn't just when the personal statement is due in, but the day the full UCAS application is paid for and sent.

I can't see anything about the 14th on the UCAS website, so do you think this is just a date set by my college to scare people into getting it done early, or am I screwed and unable to apply now because It's late.
    Most colleges set internal deadlines to give tutors enough time to write their references (which also has to be done before the January deadline). References can't be added until you've paid and sent your application, and most colleges like to check your application before hand so you can correct any errors before the application is sent to unis.

If everyone submitted just before the January deadline, there's no way they'd be able to do this, so that's why they have the internal deadline. Also, most tutors probably don't want to spend their entire Christmas break writing references

.Unlike the UCAS deadline, you internal college deadline may have some flexibility, but if you don't meet it, you'll probably go to the back of the queue for getting your reference added.

I would suggest talking to your tutor and explaining your confusion. Don't go in all guns blazing and accuse her of lying- you want her to be onside and willing to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Most colleges set internal deadlines to give tutors enough time to write their references (which also has to be done before the January deadline). References can't be added until you've paid and sent your application, and most colleges like to check your application before hand so you can correct any errors before the application is sent to unis.

If everyone submitted just before the January deadline, there's no way they'd be able to do this, so that's why they have the internal deadline. Also, most tutors probably don't want to spend their entire Christmas break writing references

.Unlike the UCAS deadline, you internal college deadline may have some flexibility, but if you don't meet it, you'll probably go to the back of the queue for getting your reference added.

I would suggest talking to your tutor and explaining your confusion. Don't go in all guns blazing and accuse her of lying- you want her to be onside and willing to help you out.
    lol thank you.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.