Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Absolutley no qualifications. Where do I start? *Nursing* watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not even sure I've put this in the right section...but I can't find anybody in my position.

Bascally my mum passed away when I was 14 and in first year of GCSEs. I dropped out and never went back, with zero GCSEs. I'm now 25.

I've done nothing for a long time, and I'm not proud of it. But now i feel too old to do anything. Lots of funding is gone for people my age to literally START their education.

Does anybody know how I would become a nurse?

I would like to do a nursing degree in Liverpool John Moores. They say I need 280 UCAS points. I know I will have to do an access course. The Liverpool City College does a Health and Social Care, Higher National Certificate (HNC) but the UCAS page says this is worth 30-80 points depending on what table I look at, it's confusing me in all honesty.

Can anybody tell me the simplest/quickest route?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Bandannabel)
    I am not even sure I've put this in the right section...but I can't find anybody in my position.

Bascally my mum passed away when I was 14 and in first year of GCSEs. I dropped out and never went back, with zero GCSEs. I'm now 25.

I've done nothing for a long time, and I'm not proud of it. But now i feel too old to do anything. Lots of funding is gone for people my age to literally START their education.

Does anybody know how I would become a nurse?

I would like to do a nursing degree in Liverpool John Moores. They say I need 280 UCAS points. I know I will have to do an access course. The Liverpool City College does a Health and Social Care, Higher National Certificate (HNC) but the UCAS page says this is worth 30-80 points depending on what table I look at, it's confusing me in all honesty.

Can anybody tell me the simplest/quickest route?
    I would say attempt to do your 5 gcses in one year and then look at doing an access to nursing course the year after (maths,english and science would be must haves and then pick two you like the look of i suppose).
    A HNC would be accepted for entry for nursing in ljmu (i applied there myself with one last year), however thats a level 4 qualification and as an access course is a level 3 it would potentially be much easier to use that to get into nursing (and an access course is cheaper, and i believe at 25 you can get a loan for an access course
    ) You would probably have to self teach the gcses and then pay the entry fees to do exams at a local college but contact some colleges just in case there are evening classes or something along those lines that aren't too costly to do.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks, I wasn't sure if I would get a reply.

Is an Entry to nursing different to an access course?

The only access course I can find in Liverpool is the Health and Social Care, Higher National Certificate (HNC), which like you said is a level 4. Where would I do a level 3 one? (if you have any idea)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Bandannabel)
    Wow thanks, I wasn't sure if I would get a reply.

Is an Entry to nursing different to an access course?

The only access course I can find in Liverpool is the Health and Social Care, Higher National Certificate (HNC), which like you said is a level 4. Where would I do a level 3 one? (if you have any idea)
    Sorry that's my bad wording there, i meant to say to do nursing rather than entry to nursing really.
    I m a northerner (but my geography isnt brilliant) but according to this website https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSite...ch/Search.aspx, which lets you search for access courses, the city of liverpool college (and Wirral Met and St helens college all offer access courses for nursing) .
    They do all say they d like you to have level 2 in maths and english before you start the access though. You would have to look into to it but it might not be too late to get your gcses in maths and english in the summer and then see if you can start an access in september.
    I think your best bet would be to give your local colleges a call and ask how would be the best way to get your gcses as quickly as possible and go from there really.
    Another thing would be to get some work experience whilst you're studying (if you havent already)

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutley brilliant, thank you so much. Just the kind of advice I needed.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Glad to help

ReputationRep:
    another way you could get in, is if you were to go down the btec route and start at level 2 which is GCSE equivalent and work your way up to level three, you would have to do a course in health and social care but i know of loads of people who have done this and found it to be really great. with btec now if you do not have maths and english GCSE you will have to do them as part of the course and as such you will get it all lumped in together

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.