The Student Room Group

Psychology or sociology????

Hey
In a couple weeks my deadlines for A levels are coming up and I'm really stuck on weather to pick psychology or sociology!!! What's the diff and how hard is each one?? 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
i do both and am in my second year of A levels. I'd say neither are extremely hard, but obviously at A level it will be difficult, they're not going to be easy! I always explain psychology being the study of individuals, and sociology being the study of groups of people and institutions such as education and the police. Try having a look at the course content in regard to the exam boards your sixth form/college do, it'll help a lot :smile:
Reply 2
I am doing psychology which is full of interesting topics; for example in AS I learnt about stress, memory and social influence (to name a few :P)..you learn about different studies and theories
It is essay based- especially in A2- but this is varied in AS with shorter and longer questions
don't worry though once you get your results you'll know what to take :smile:
Good Luck with your GCSE's and choosing :biggrin:
X
Thanks😄 I have always been interested in psychology and now having to pick between both sociology and that is a little difficult but I'm hoping it does compliment my choice of career. And I will enjoy it😌
Is sociology more about social behaves in comparison to psychology 😬😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Sociology at AS is more about studying society collectively than psychology, which focuses more on the human mind.

Loosely speaking.
Reply 5
Original post by vinurikasturi
Thanks😄 I have always been interested in psychology and now having to pick between both sociology and that is a little difficult but I'm hoping it does compliment my choice of career. And I will enjoy it😌
Is sociology more about social behaves in comparison to psychology 😬😞

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Psychology is the study about the individual while sociology is more about the society as a whole. Psychology studies how the individual functions within society while sociology studies how the society functions for the individual".
- A rather nice summary.
Reply 6
Both are really interesting and enjoyable subjects but I'd say sociology is easier. Psychology involves looking at research studies in depth whereas sociology looks at perspectives like functionalism, Marxism etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the replies🙂 I think I will probably take up sociology but when learning psychology are there many case studies that you must memories? Some sixth formers at my school sofa there's a pile 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies🙂 I think I will probably take up sociology but when learning psychology are there many case studies that you must memories? Some sixth formers at my school sofa there's a pile 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 20 studies in total that I think you have to remember. You learn 10 in the first year and 10 in the second year. There are loads of studies for sociology too, but they're not in depth like psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the replies😌 they really helped me! I was also wondering if the exam board makes a diff because my shook does WEJC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology is the best subject ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing sociology and it's a lot of fun :smile: You get to discuss what's happening in the society around you and look at different perspective's view points such as Feminists, Marxists etc. It's an opportunity to discuss things that are happening in the news in contemporary society in your essays as well as in lessons (oh yeah, if you don't like essays, don't take it :wink: ). I'm at A2 and I'm still really enjoying it. I wanted to study psychology at A level but my sixth form didn't offer it :frown: I'm going to do it in Uni though ^.^ Got my fifth and final offer this week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Neither, both are terribly useless degrees
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Neither, both are terribly useless degrees

They're asking about A level, and you're incorrect anyway. Psychology's widely applicable and can lead to a career within the subject or elsewhere (business, media research analyst, education).
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the replies😌 they really helped me! I was also wondering if the exam board makes a diff because my shook does WEJC

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm with WJEC, the sociology course is fine.
I was considering psychology but so many people have said that unis prefer sociology in comparison....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was considering psychology but so many people have said that unis prefer sociology in comparison....

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't even matter what uni's prefer, look into what the course is like and do which one you like best. It's all about the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest