Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    year 12 who did four alevels but today dropped one and intending to take these three alevels onto a2 level. its too late for me to pick up a new subject (family issues as to why i didnt drop it earlier) but will having one less as level affect my uni situations greatly????????

ReputationRep:
    if your teachers think you can catch up on the work then its worth a shot to ask!! it may take a lot of time up but you should catch up quickly! having three wont affect uni offers, as they only ask for 3 A levels at the end of A2. however, if where you're thinking of applying asks for ucas points, it may be good to consider doing 4 to boost up your points. having 4 isn't essential as almost all people only carry on 3 at A2, so many people in my sixth form only did 3 in AS and have all got offers

ReputationRep:
    also! - in A2 you may get the chance to do the EPQ, which equates to an AS level, so if you only do three AS's this year, doing the EPQ next year can get you the points as if you were to do 4 AS's. Epq's are highly valued by both uni's and employers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganwd97)
    if your teachers think you can catch up on the work then its worth a shot to ask!! it may take a lot of time up but you should catch up quickly! having three wont affect uni offers, as they only ask for 3 A levels at the end of A2. however, if where you're thinking of applying asks for ucas points, it may be good to consider doing 4 to boost up your points. having 4 isn't essential as almost all people only carry on 3 at A2, so many people in my sixth form only did 3 in AS and have all got offers
    thank you so much!! however I cant pick up a 4th subject now, I already asked:/ since im doing three alevels now i was intending to work really hard to get top grades in those- does higher grades mean more ucas points??/

ReputationRep:
    No. A lot of students in your year are only starting with 3 subjects :fluffy:

It shouldn't be too late - worth a shot. Ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkla.p)
    thank you so much!! however I cant pick up a 4th subject now, I already asked:/ since im doing three alevels now i was intending to work really hard to get top grades in those- does higher grades mean more ucas points??/
    dont worry about it! as i said doing the EPQ next year enables you to get the same points as an AS, so basically you would still be doing an AS and 3 A levels but just in the second year. EPQ is also good as it doesnt last all year so should be done by the exam term!

and yes! this is the table:

A = 60, B=50, C=40, D=30, E=20

A* = 140, A=120, B=100, C=80 D=60, E=40

note the first is AS and second is A2!

so if your uni asks you for ucas points, its worth doing the epq to boost up the points! also, some uni's such as southampton offer you lower entry requirements if you do well in the epq! dont feel it is completely necessary though! if you feel as though you can do well with the three a levels then go for it! EPQ is just a little extra to help points and boost your personal statement!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.