Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted a BBD for biology psychology and maths but I think I could get a C or possible even a B in maths. I got a D in chemistry in AS.
    I want to apply to Chester (280), Bournemouth(300), Hull(280), Oxford brookes(BBC) and Buckinghamshire(280-320)

My mum wants me to apply to Surrey(BBB) but I really don't think they'd offer me a place with my target grade.

I looked at the which and the typical UCAS points were 350 upwards (over 400 for Surrey) apart from Chester where it was 316 but it's still a lot higher than my predicted grade. Even if I got a BBC in the end id only have 280 points discluding the AS points.

Is there any point in applying to these unis or am I setting my self up for failure?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pine3278)
    I'm predicted a BBD for biology psychology and maths but I think I could get a C or possible even a B in maths. I got a D in chemistry in AS.
    I want to apply to Chester (280), Bournemouth(300), Hull(280), Oxford brookes(BBC) and Buckinghamshire(280-320)

My mum wants me to apply to Surrey(BBB) but I really don't think they'd offer me a place with my target grade.

I looked at the which and the typical UCAS points were 350 upwards (over 400 for Surrey) apart from Chester where it was 316 but it's still a lot higher than my predicted grade. Even if I got a BBC in the end id only have 280 points discluding the AS points.

Is there any point in applying to these unis or am I setting my self up for failure?
    As nursing is so competitive, I would recommend sticking to the universities you definitely have the grades for so I would say keep hull,chester and oxford brookes and if you wanted to have one aspirational one so Bournemouth or Buckinghamshire and then maybe pick one that accepts around 260 points as your 5th choice.
    Grades although important, your ps and interview are too but if you dont have the grades in the first place then depending on the rest of your application you may not get to the interview stage. Its your degree at the end of the day so dont let your mum pressure you into choosing anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As nursing is so competitive, I would recommend sticking to the universities you definitely have the grades for so I would say keep hull,chester and oxford brookes and if you wanted to have one aspirational one so Bournemouth or Buckinghamshire and then maybe pick one that accepts around 260 points as your 5th choice.
    Grades although important, your ps and interview are too but if you dont have the grades in the first place then depending on the rest of your application you may not get to the interview stage. Its your degree at the end of the day so dont let your mum pressure you into choosing anywhere
    Thanks I'll probably get rid of Bournemouth. Realistically though do you think I'd get any offers based on my predicted grades only?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pine3278)
    Thanks I'll probably get rid of Bournemouth. Realistically though do you think I'd get any offers based on my predicted grades only?
    I m afraid not knowing you personally and how well you would do in your interviews or how much experience/knowledge you have i couldn't really say as they take into account everything together when deciding if they're going to offer you a place, but if you keep your choices realistic with what your predicted grades and the as grades you have, you'll be giving yourself the best chance possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.