Turn on thread page Beta

I shudder involuntarily around 15 times a day. It's annoying because when it happens people notice and give me really funny looks. My friends have been picking up on it happening and have been asking what's wrong.
    When I feel that it's going to happen, I can grit my teeth and tense up to try to stop it but I can't. Anyone have any idea what's causing this? I'm aware it happens to everyone, but it's so frequent it's bothering me.

Various conditions could cause it some more serious than others so I suggest you see a doctor to be safe.

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Hot and sweaty, cold, thirsty, hungry, rashes, foggy head, aches and pains? Any other symptoms (or lack of) could help narrow it down. Is it isolated to a particular part of your body? Is there a pattern to when it happens? Do you have any family history of anything like this? Do you have any other conditions? Also things to consider.

I know that things like vitamin/ hormone imbalances can cause shaking/ shuddering sometimes as can Tic disorders, anxiety related conditions and so much more I wouldn't even have a clue about like physical and neurological conditions. It really could be so many things.

Until you can see a doctor try googling key words like "Tics", "Spasms" etc with any other related info you can think of and just see if any results ring a bell or can just help you understand a little more.

With most things your doctor can just run a few basic tests and get a pretty decent idea of what may be causing it and it's often just as simple to treat. In some cases it can be something more serious or complicated to diagnose/ treat in which case it is good to start as early as possible.

Good luck

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Various conditions could cause it some more serious than others so I suggest you see a doctor to be safe.

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Hot and sweaty, cold, thirsty, hungry, rashes, foggy head, aches and pains? Any other symptoms (or lack of) could help narrow it down. Is it isolated to a particular part of your body? Is there a pattern to when it happens? Do you have any family history of anything like this? Do you have any other conditions? Also things to consider.

I know that things like vitamin/ hormone imbalances can cause shaking/ shuddering sometimes as can Tic disorders, anxiety related conditions and so much more I wouldn't even have a clue about like physical and neurological conditions. It really could be so many things.

Until you can see a doctor try googling key words like "Tics", "Spasms" etc with any other related info you can think of and just see if any results ring a bell or can just help you understand a little more.

With most things your doctor can just run a few basic tests and get a pretty decent idea of what may be causing it and it's often just as simple to treat. In some cases it can be something more serious or complicated to diagnose/ treat in which case it is good to start as early as possible.

Good luck
    Hi, me again

I haven't been to the doctor, my symptoms feel too vague and trivial to. I'm not expecting a diagnosis, obviously, I'm just going to talk about what's going on.
    These past few nights I've been struggling with a 'headrush' sensation when trying to fall asleep which keeps me awake, accompanied by nausea. I've had a lot of experience with sleeping problems, night terrors, waking up frequently, sleep paralysis. I googled this latest symptom and I found people describing a similar experience, it seems related to anxiety. I do have anxiety, the shuddering could be related to that also. However, at the moment I wouldn't say I'm very stressed or anxious, I've been taking anti-d's for a while and they've helped.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, me again

I haven't been to the doctor, my symptoms feel too vague and trivial to. I'm not expecting a diagnosis, obviously, I'm just going to talk about what's going on.
    These past few nights I've been struggling with a 'headrush' sensation when trying to fall asleep which keeps me awake, accompanied by nausea. I've had a lot of experience with sleeping problems, night terrors, waking up frequently, sleep paralysis. I googled this latest symptom and I found people describing a similar experience, it seems related to anxiety. I do have anxiety, the shuddering could be related to that also. However, at the moment I wouldn't say I'm very stressed or anxious, I've been taking anti-d's for a while and they've helped.
    Hey,
    Check the side effects for your ADs. Mine said they could cause shaking, nausea, sleep problems etc.
    Sounds like it could be easily related to your anxiety or ADs, but just be aware that it can also be a sign of other things. Hormonal imbalances, tic conditions, fevers, organ failure etc etc can all be related to some of the symptoms you have mentioned. I'm not trying to suggest that you do have any of these problems, but if you have concerns it may be worth popping into see your doctor or calling 111 just to ease your mind. You wouldn't sound silly.
    I get anxiety symptoms that don't seem to come with actual anxiety and i'm starting to work out that I have other conditions that may be causing the anxiety rather than the other way around.

I wouldn't be worried. It sounds like you are coping well enough and aren't too unwell. But if you visit your doc they may be able to help you deal with the shaking and work out what is causing it. May not be anything you want to treat but it will just make you more aware and in control.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.