Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year, me and my class had two really strict teachers that gave my whole class C-A in the coursework in year 10. (I'm in year 11 now) I'm in set two but those in set four, three and one seemed to get significantly more A* than my class, some of which are really unintelligent and got very low marks in the actual science exam... I was 4 marks away from a B for the core science GCSE (We took science GCSE in year 10 rather than year 11) and am really annoyed... I asked the head of science about it but she didn't seem to reply. Is there anything me and my class can do? Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    Since I don't know your teacher it's difficult for me to say what's going on. It could be that they're terrible teachers (my friend's English Teacher in Year 10 was awful. Throughout the whole year she was working at a D/C grade and then ever since we started Year 11 she's shot straight up to an A, just like the rest of her class).

If a different science class is getting different results to what you might expect, are they doing a different exam board? They probably mark them differently. Of course there is always the chance that your entire class just happens to be working below what's expected of you (for almost the entirety of Year 10 I'm pretty sure my science class who are top set made our 3 science teachers cry when they marked our test results, i don't want to know what our coursework was like), but seeing as you're in set 2 I doubt that myself.

When you say you tried talking to your Head of Science but she didn't reply, what do you mean? How did you contact her and how did she 'ignore' you or 'avoid' the question? If you're not happy with the answer she gave you, you can always go back and ask again, making it more clear what you want from her in terms of answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh_Ewe)
    Since I don't know your teacher it's difficult for me to say what's going on. It could be that they're terrible teachers (my friend's English Teacher in Year 10 was awful. Throughout the whole year she was working at a D/C grade and then ever since we started Year 11 she's shot straight up to an A, just like the rest of her class).

If a different science class is getting different results to what you might expect, are they doing a different exam board? They probably mark them differently. Of course there is always the chance that your entire class just happens to be working below what's expected of you (for almost the entirety of Year 10 I'm pretty sure my science class who are top set made our 3 science teachers cry when they marked our test results, i don't want to know what our coursework was like), but seeing as you're in set 2 I doubt that myself.

When you say you tried talking to your Head of Science but she didn't reply, what do you mean? How did you contact her and how did she 'ignore' you or 'avoid' the question? If you're not happy with the answer she gave you, you can always go back and ask again, making it more clear what you want from her in. terms of answers.
    The head of science said she'll look into it but didn't say anything since so I'm guessing she forgot about it... I'm thinking of gathering a few of my fiends to go to her or a different experienced teacher all at once and then complain about it. We have proof that we deserve better since me and my friends got A's and A* in recent mocks so we hope this'll do...
    Everyone is also doing the exact same board (AQA) but have either strict or new teachers which makes the marking very different.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by YooSongWon)
    The head of science said she'll look into it but didn't say anything since so I'm guessing she forgot about it... I'm thinking of gathering a few of my fiends to go to her or a different experienced teacher all at once and then complain about it. We have proof that we deserve better since me and my friends got A's and A* in recent mocks so we hope this'll do...
    Everyone is also doing the exact same board (AQA) but have either strict or new teachers which makes the marking very different.
    This is kind of what happened to me in year 12. A group of students from my AS English Language class were in AS English Literature and starting *****ing about how crap our Lang teacher was, then the Lit teacher told the Head of English, then the Head of English told the Assistant Head, our Head of Sixth Form and it was investigated. After that, the Lang teacher worked super hard in trying to make the lessons more engaging, marks our works efficiently and etc. She was a QTS (so basically just finished a year doing her PGCE) and she was like 23.

If the Head of Science is forgetting about it, maybe you need to take it to senior management and say you're not happy with the way things are marked. Usually Head of the core subjects are extremely busy with a million things. But if perhaps you and your friends got your parents involved, they'd take a quicker action into investigating what's going on.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.