Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are religious people mean and less understanding about other people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    By other People I mean ,people that are different to them e.g gay and homosexual
    Agree/disagree
    Comment below and explain why?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all religious people are mean and judgemental and should be derided for their outdated views. As an atheist, I have the moral high ground above every and all religious people or those who sympathise with religious people.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I am a Muslim and I have nothing against people who are different to me. In fact I'd like to know more about them and their lifestyles and being gay is against my religion but that does not mean that I act mean to them, I have nothing against gay people even if I know someone who is a gay Muslim because at the end of the day we are all human.

Thats my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are more judgemental, closed minded and conservative.

ReputationRep:
    What's with all the threads, concerning god?

If you have questions with your faith, I'd suggest seeking help elsewhere.

As this is TSR, and you won't always get the answers you are looking for, just a bunch of hot headed teens debating and arguing aimlessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yes, they are more judgemental, closed minded and conservative.
    As a Christian,
    I don't exactly feel that that is a fair judgement on everyone.
    I try to be the best person I can to everyone around me and I aim not to judge anyone for anything.
    I don't care if you're gay/straight/bi/trans etc, it's your life choice and I respect that.
    In fact, my best friends are all atheist and when I first tell some people that I am very religious Christian they look at me and gasp because they can't believe it!
    I tell them it's because a 'true Christian/ or any religious person for that matter' is not and does not have the right to make judgement on other people, therefore I do not.
    Also,as a Christian, I forgive you for saying that statement about religious people, and I hope you have a good evening
    (just clarifying that was in no way sarcastic in case you thought it was, I just want everyone to be happy!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Depends which faith, and even then it'd still be a pretty big generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Little call em A, Little call em B
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Loving that phrase

But honestly, if you one who keeps on saying "fight for what you believe in". and you say they are meaner... Well then remember that they are acting out your saying.

Plus isn't this thread a way of judging

ReputationRep:
    no I accept others for who they are, who am I to tell them how to live their life - and what does my religion have to do with anything

you need to be stopped m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Yes, all religious people are mean and judgemental and should be derided for their outdated views. As an atheist, I have the moral high ground above every and all religious people or those who sympathise with religious people.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :rolleyes:
    I'm quite shocked about what you think about religious people.
    I'm a Christian and I don't think of myself as mean and judgemental, and I try to be as nice as possible person as I can.
    Many of my close friends are very atheist and they have no problem with my religion at all. That's because I aim not to judge but to love and care about people as much as I possibly can.
    I sympathise because maybe you have met a majority of religious people who look down on you , but let me tell you, we are all equal in God's eyes and a true Christian would know this and would aim not to judge others,
    I'm cool with anything, we have free will, that's what God gave us, so you can use it

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm a Muslim and homosexuality is against my faith, so of course I don't agree with this lifestyle, just as they and many others may not agree with mine. But this doesn't mean I am openly mean or abusive to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millie99101)
    I'm a Christian and I don't think of myself as mean and judgemental, and I try to be as nice as possible person as I can.
    Many of my close friends are very atheist and they have no problem with my religion at all. That's because I aim not to judge but to love and care about people as much as I possibly can.
    I sympathise because maybe you have met a majority of religious people who look down on you , but let me tell you, we are all equal in God's eyes and a true Christian would know this and would aim not to judge others,
    I'm cool with anything, we have free will, that's what God gave us, so you can use it
    They were being sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millie99101)
    Clearly sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    nah I try to be nice - smile, its sunnah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    No. I'm a Muslim and homosexuality is against my faith, so of course I don't agree with this lifestyle, just as they and many others may not agree with mine. But this doesn't mean I am openly mean or abusive to them.
    You can make up your own mind, you know.
    To what extent does your disdain go of homosexual people?
    Babe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Clearly sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.
    Omigoodness!!! I'm so so sorry this is about the 5th time this has happened today! I apologise I'm not very good with sarcasm and especially when I am unable to hear the tone of voice people would be using if they verbally said it!
    woops! Oh well I said my point anyway haha! sorry about that!!! my bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    You can make up your own mind, you know.
    To what extent does your disdain go of homosexual people?
    Babe
    I have made up my own mind.
    It's not the people, it's their lifestyle. To me it's unnatural and there is a reason for why religion prohibits it.

And please don't call me that.

ReputationRep:
    I have made up my own mind.
    It's not the people, it's their lifestyle. To me it's unnatural and there is a reason for why religion prohibits it.

And please don't call me that.
    Fair enough.
    But that would assume its a choice. There is good evidence to suggest that such a 'lifestyle' isn't a choice.
    Would there be nothing to change your views, such as knowing it isn't a choice (and therefore not unnatural)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Fair enough.
    But that would assume its a choice. There is good evidence to suggest that such a 'lifestyle' isn't a choice.
    Would there be nothing to change your views, such as knowing it isn't a choice (and therefore not unnatural)?
    Well, then I will search for this evidence but I have yet to find any that is strong enough. When I was in school girls would wake up one day and decide they were lesbian. Others are "bisexual" and like to experiment with both sexes for the thrill of it, I'm assuming. I think it is a choice, and everyone can live as they wish, but I don't necessarily have to accept it, just as they might not accept my beliefs and lifestyle.
    Also, men and women were made with different reproductive organs in order to reproduce. Homosexuals are unable to do this. That's not 'natural' to me.

But anyway, I honestly don't have anything against the people themselves. I have met gays before and they were nice people.

ReputationRep:
    Well, then I will search for this evidence but I have yet to find any that is strong enough. When I was in school girls would wake up one day and decide they were lesbian. Others are "bisexual" and like to experiment with both sexes for the thrill of it, I'm assuming. I think it is a choice, and everyone can live as they wish, but I don't necessarily have to accept it, just as they might not accept my beliefs and lifestyle.
    Also, men and women were made with different reproductive organs in order to reproduce. Homosexuals are unable to do this. That's not 'natural' to me.

But anyway, I honestly don't have anything against the people themselves. I have met gays before and they were nice people.

You seem like a decent chap who doesn't discriminate against anyone. Good on you mate.

I think the thing with that is a sort of a realisation or admission that they find their own sex attractive, in that they feel arousal from their own sex but not for the opposite sex (rather than making a quick judgement choice). You don't really choose what you are aroused by, but rather just are. There is quite a lot of literature on Google Scholar on it if you want to look it up, maybe terms like: 'biology of sexual preference'.

Just because we have different sexual organs and are clearly differentiated, differentiation is caused by hormonal factors and it can be said probably that all of us are somewhere on a scale of masculine-feminine regardless of which sex we are, due to variation in hormonal function etc. Though I'm not very knowledgeable on the specific processes, but I had that down as the gist.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.