Turn on thread page Beta

Car misting/fogging dehumidifying bags??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have a huge problem with regards to my car fogging up and misting in these recently cold and wet days. My heater takes forever to kick in and I would just find myself waiting in parking lot with heater on high, AC on, windows down for the best part of 15 minutes!! My heater has always been terrible from day one. So recently I discovered dehumidifying bags such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3VKBJS

Anyone tried any sort of products like this before and notice a difference with regards to how long it takes to clear up mist?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    The DIY option is a bag of rice, but the first thing to do is establish why there's so much moisture in the car. Or you could just try keeping the windows shut - condensation forms because the air inside the car is too cold and too humid to contain any more moisture. To get rid of the condensation you need warm, dry air to replace it, but if your windows are wide open it's going to take a while! Also make sure that the air is being directed up at the windscreen rather than out through the main vents.

ReputationRep:
    As CurlyBen said, it would be better to find the actual cause of the problem, rather than just putting bandages on it. Older cars tend to just be damp anyway, but if it's really bad then it could be a leaky door seal or sun roof letting water in. Are any of the carpets wet? Especially in the rear footwell (where you don't tend to touch that often with your hands, as the driver), or the boot carpet? Or is it wet in the spare wheel well under the boot carpet?

If the front carpets are wet, is it sticky to the touch and sweet smelling? If so then it might be a leaky heater core, which can get expensive.

It may just be because it's old, but I would have a hunt around and see if any of the carpets inside are wet or damp. If they are, try hitting up a forum dedicated to your car model for tips on where the water may be coming from. Specific models tend to let water in specific ways.

ReputationRep:
    When was the pollen filter last changed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I did try getting to the root of the problem last year during Autumn/Winter to no avail. After research based on my car (which is an Astra), it seems it is a common problem with this model of Vauxhalls and drew the conclusion that my heater is just ridiculous. Went shopping today and happened to spot of these and decided to take the plunge. Will see how it gets on. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    When was the pollen filter last changed?
    There is no records of it ever being changed...Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    Your car may or may not have one but if it does, they need to be changed every couple of years
    They are often hidden behind the dash or footwell area and a new one would possibly cure an issue like yours. That's if you have one and it's blocked

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsoA0Z8IIlk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.