Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Well I think many of us have just made up a lot of marks!!

The first question were very simple; questionaires, loci e.t.c.

Just a few at the back and the occasional one that provoked a lot of thought.

On the whole, not bad IMO.

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I am so pleased that it wasnt difficult!!! yay sum people in ma year found it a little difficult but on the whole it was good hehe what bout every1 else?

ReputationRep:
    aqa wasnt too bad either, tho some did stil find it harder than the other one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1liamg)
    Hello,

Well I think many of us have just made up a lot of marks!!

The first question were very simple; questionaires, loci e.t.c.

Just a few at the back and the occasional one that provoked a lot of thought.

On the whole, not bad IMO.

Anyone else?
    I found dat exam easy. I was propa chuffed wen i came out of that exam although sum of my m8s found it quite hard.
    What did n e get 4 that "find the radius of the cone question" i was sure it was 2.523 but alot of my m8s sed it was less than 1. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I found edxcel calculator higher paper much harder than the first paper. Im much better at algebra and that paper was all shape and measure. How many quesitions did most people miss out. i think i lost about 12> marks for not answering questions. Did anyone get the 3D pithag question if i can remember may answer was about 20 something. also yes i got the same answer for the radius of the cone and that is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigKingD)
    I found dat exam easy. I was propa chuffed wen i came out of that exam although sum of my m8s found it quite hard.
    What did n e get 4 that "find the radius of the cone question" i was sure it was 2.523 but alot of my m8s sed it was less than 1. :eek:
    i swear it was below 1 lol

ReputationRep:
    CAN YOU MAKE IT ANY BLOODY EASIER??? :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

(FINISHED THE PAPER IN 27.5 MINUTES)

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that wasn't bad. I still thought that it was kind-of hard - but that's probably because there were loads of high-mark questions as usual. I'm insecure!

I can't remember any of the figures, but here's how I did that Prism Diagonal question:

1) Work out the back-left side with the tangent ratio
    2) Work out that base diagonal using Pythagoras' Theorem (remember that square? - 60² + 60², etc.)
    3) Use the tangent ratio in inverse with the previous values calculated to find out the angle.

Did anyone get the last question (no. 22)? I think I had a mind-blank near the end - I couldn't fit or substitute anything into anywhere. Also, the two simultaneous equations question:
    x² + y² = 25 (1)
    y = 2x - 2 (2)

I got answers for x and y, but later when checking, x² + y² equalled 27!!!

Hope every1 else has done well!

ReputationRep:
    i got dat answer 4 da cone too hehe (i didnt get less dan 1!)

ReputationRep:
    A very nice paper in comparison to the first one! But that triangle where you had to find the perimeter was tricky. Ya I got 2.52 for the cone as well and it's correct cuz I tested it. What did everyone get for the upper bound and the lower bound question?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the cone question

ReputationRep:
    hey yeah it was easy,
    got 2.52 for the radius. on the perimeter question forgot to actually find the perimeter after finding the unkown side - so a mark lost there. Does anyone else do so many calculations they forget what the question is?
    as for the upper and lower bound i cant remember what i got but they were very close to 24km/h and for the next part to it i got 24km/h because it was directly half way between my two answers. so i think it was right.
    for the prism one i got somethin like 22.2 degrees and for the simultaneous equation (one linear, one quadratic) i got x=-1.4, y = -4.8 and x = 3, y = 4

the last question had somethin to do with the fact that the locus of P passed through the point (0,1) so when x was 0 y was 1 or somethin like that anyway, not sure!

on the whole a big relief after the solid non-calc,
    all the best,
    me.

ReputationRep:
    Well that paper was a relief, lots of quadratic formula to be used and lots of trig. I'm more of an algebra person myself and the algebra towards the end was nice. Ah.. for the last page i was multiplying brackets out, something to do with a cirlce that passes through point P, so you do (Y - Y1) squared and (X-X1) squared was equal to the radius squared, well that's how i 'tried' it, didn't quite get there but i think i was pretty close so i'm hoping for some method marks.

To be honest, no one would have believed we were sitting maths papers in the same year if they compared paper 5 and 6... :rolleyes: Is anyone doing additional maths OCR next week?

ReputationRep:
    the cone question wanted you to find the radius, right? Sorry, but as usual, I can't remember exact figures. But we were given the vertical height, and we were given the volume (I think).

A cone is a pyramid of a cylinder. Pyramids are 1/3 the volume of prisms. The volume of a cylinder is pi r² h. Therefore the volume of the cone is one third of that.

Basically, divide the volume by the height, then by pi, then by 1/3 (which is essentially multiplying by 3!). Finally, square root that, and you will have the cone's radius.

I think now I remember why I was so unsettled - the amount of algebra and rearranging there was! I mean, I'm quite good at it, but not in such large amounts!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FSHero)
    yeah, that wasn't bad. I still thought that it was kind-of hard - but that's probably because there were loads of high-mark questions as usual. I'm insecure!

Did anyone get the last question (no. 22)?..

Solution... (may need to click on enlargement)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    ok i got that wrong lol i thought i had it right! yea the maths 2 paper was well easy i think i made up loads of marks which i missed in the first! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I did ok, but i did make one stupid mistake, there was this simultaneous equation (i did the edexcel intermediate paper) and i think i hav done it wrong, i got x= 4.5 and y=3 but it was def y=2.5 so i was about to write it down but i couldn't cuz the teachers sed the exam was over, i am really worried about this, i did all my working out on that question, do you think i will get some marks in that question????

Fanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona_smimms)
    CAN YOU MAKE IT ANY BLOODY EASIER??? :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

(FINISHED THE PAPER IN 27.5 MINUTES)
    I have seen your attitude on this website and it isn't welcoming; if you are clever so be it. There are other intelligent people in this website that are intelligent but not arrogant with it. Making that shocking statement does not help other people's morale, who may have struggled.
    Quite frankly i know this thread is about Maths, but your attitude is not needed, intelligence isn't everything, it's sometimes who you know and not what you know. So quiet.

To others, i hope it all went well for you. AQA was quite good, although there were odd questions - such as the spheres at the end! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    I have seen your attitude on this website and it isn't welcoming; if you are clever so be it. There are other intelligent people in this website that are intelligent but not arrogant with it. Making that shocking statement does not help other people's morale, who may have struggled.
    Quite frankly i know this thread is about Maths, but your attitude is not needed, intelligence isn't everything, it's sometimes who you know and not what you know. So quiet.

To others, i hope it all went well for you. AQA was quite good, although there were odd questions - such as the spheres at the end! :rolleyes:
    the spheres one was straight forward (relatively). the water displaced is the volume of the four spheres.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know how i felt bout the edexcel paper, at the beginning i felt it was quite easy but near towards the end i felt as if i had lost at least 25 marks on questions i didn't get an answer 4. did ne1 else feel like this?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.