The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

didn't apply for medicine so can't really help but i've got a friend who got unconditionals for both and she chose Aberdeen cause she said it looked like a much better place to study
Reply 2
Did she say why?
Reply 3
yeah sometimes people use Dundee in jokes - im sure its ok though
Id go to Aberdeen
Reply 4
Hahahahaha. People use Aberdeen in jokes up here :p:
she just didn't like the look of dundee much and it seemed like the lecturers at Aberdeen were better etc, she'd just generally get a better education in the granite city
I'm a first year at aberdeen and I've really enjoyed it though I can't really tell you much about dundee, the main thing i'd look at is the amount of PBL I think i'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to do loads but we don't here (though I don't know about dundee).

I can tell you what the course has been like so far-the first term was mostly 'basic science for medicine' really interesting and covers all grounds basically so the rest of the course makes sense, it's a mix of biochem (Dr Long who is an absolute legend he's like really old and seems quite serious but every now and again does something hysterical that nobody expects) and Physiology (mainly with Prof Cotter-again who everyone loves-shes a bit like a mad auntie, and Dr Davies who's the 1st year course co-ordinater again nice guy, funny too). All three lecturers I've mentioned are incredibly good, in my opinion, and are really helpful you can ask questions in/after class and via email. After basic science you move onto systems one (again mostly Prof Cotter and Dr Davies) which is fascinating and after the hard slog of basic science is a bit like 'now THIS is why I'm doing medicine'. Throughout BasicSci and systems 1 you do anatomy-it's really daunting at first but is tied up with systems 1 so suddenly starts to make sense then! You get tested throughout the year (anatomy ones are particularly tough) which I found helpful for staying on top of things but don't be disheartened if you don't do well, I failed my first two tests we were given then passed the second 2 and came out with good exam results in Jan.

This term we had systems 2-anatomy is harder (they saved the hardest until last) head and neck and pelvis and perineum, but the lectures and workload have been lighter and probably more enjoyable. Systems 2 follows the same structure of teaching as systems 1. We should now know basically how the whole human body functions normally and from year 2 onwards focus on what can go wrong.

During these 2 terms you do community course with 'family visits' (you go to the house of a new mother and baby and ask questions-it's really just about patient contact). There is also a poster project with your community course group which is actually quite enjoyable and is a group work experience.

Next term is the 'student selected module' where you are given a list of topics to choose from, put into groups to put together a written and oral presentation-with the poster that is the entirety of PBL ay Aberdeen.

Wow that was like a small novel or something-apologies for the length.
Reply 7
sarahmo89
Hahahahaha. People use Aberdeen in jokes up here :p:

Indeed. Baaa... etc.

There's not going to be any radical difference in teaching or anything, I'd imagine. So basically go on what you thought from open days etc is my advice.
Reply 8
I couldn't get to the open days coz they're too far away.

Thanks ASprinkleOfPixieDust - I don't like the idea of PBL tis what put me off Glasgow.
whats PBL?
Reply 10
Problem based learning. They put you in groups and give you a scenario - like a case study which you have to go away and research yourself and report back to your group what you learned. It relies a lot on teamwork and if one person doesn't do their bit then you might fall behind or it just puts a whole lot more work onto you. Describing it like that it doesn't sound so bad but I just got an ill feeling when I heard that Glasgow had moved into nearly the whole course being focussed on PBL. They do still give lectures and stuff . . . But I can imagine just getting completely stressed out having to do too much of it. It has it's own pros and cons and for some people that's how they learn, and I imagine the stuff you have to go away and research yourself won't be forgotten.
depends, if PBL was part of your final grade or whatever then i really wouldn't like to put too much faith in someone else (no offence to them) but if its just a leraning technique then it sounds like it could be ok cause thats what it'll be like in hospitals and stuff anyway
Hey Sarah did you not apply to St Andrews then if you don't like PBL? I know St Andrews comes under criticism quite a lot, but I think it's a very good medical school. Those who start this September are being given the opportunity to continue their clinical years in Scotland instead of continuing on to Manchester (although if a student still wants to go to Manchester they can go) so i'll be going to Glasgow.

Anyway, hope you make the right decision!:smile:
AllanaCappiello
Hey Sarah did you not apply to St Andrews then if you don't like PBL? I know St Andrews comes under criticism quite a lot, but I think it's a very good medical school. Those who start this September are being given the opportunity to continue their clinical years in Scotland instead of continuing on to Manchester (although if a student still wants to go to Manchester they can go) so i'll be going to Glasgow.

Anyway, hope you make the right decision!:smile:

I hadn't heard about that (though it doesn't affect me) but it's good-had they been doing that when I was applying I might've gone for St. Andrews over Edinburgh, I would expect an increase in the no. of people applying there now.
Reply 14
Well - I didn't want to risk having to go to Manchester . . . I'd heard about being able to go to Glasgow uni and finish your clinical skills but I didn't know if it would be a definite or not. Plus I feel that when I applied I was so naive and ignorant of unis etc to what I am now - I didn't know anything about St. Andrews n the whole moving to Manchester thing just made it easier to narrow down the choices. I'm finding it difficult coming to terms moving within my own country there's no chance I wanna move out of it!

I don't mind a bit of PBL . . .but I do mind the way Glasgow uni seemed to doing it from the open days.

Stop turning this into a PBL thread :p: I need help between Aberdeeen and Dundee! They are both cities with shops n everything you could ever need in them . . . they're both on the coast so they will both do watersports and stuff. They are both good universities and from my understanding their courses are very similar. The only thing I have to go on is that staying in Aberdeen will be cheaper. I need a better reason than that for deciding where I'm going to be staying for the next 5/7 years! TBH I'm just using this to moan and let off a bit of steam. I'm not expecting anyone to make the decision for me or anything (incase that is how this sounds).

Enjoying the easter holidays?
Reply 15
sarahmo89
The only thing I have to go on is that staying in Aberdeen will be cheaper.

Are you going on halls fees? Because they're totally unreflective of the general cost of living in Dundee - which is why everyone is protesting them so much.

Private accomodation is considerably cheaper.
Reply 16
Yeh I was going on the halls fees. Plus the website isn't very good at describing the accommodation and the cheapest accommodation isn't even connected to the Dundee intranet. So I'd have that to pay for aswell.

I'll go and have a look at private accommodation then. Does anyone know any good letting websites?
if you can't decide and they're both equally as good in your eyes then this is one of the times when it would be ok to go where your friends are going. or just flip a coin.
failing that come to Aberdeen, its far nicer than Dundee anyway!
Reply 18
Hahaha @ smiler. None of my friends are going to Aberdeen or Dundee - they're all going to Glasgow or Edinburgh based unis :p: In that case I'd be doing pharmacy at Strathclyde!
well if you think they're on such an even standing then those are the choices you have, unless you arrange private visits to both and have a proper look at everything, talk to more staff and students and actually explore the cities to decide