Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A different kind of procrastination watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Y'know when people are always joking about how they put off their work to the last minute because they want to watch Youtube, the latest episode of their favourite show, binge-watching FRIENDS re-runs or going out with actual friends? All while stressing about the work they should be doing but aren't? I'm sure we can all relate to that. Just looking at my student planner and coursework deadlines makes me want to cry a lil' bit.

What I want to know is 2 things.

1. Am I the only one who procrastinates homework by revising instead? I'll have a sheet on Othello for English due but instead of doing it I'll sit down and make notes on Photosynthesis or Hydrocarbons, or even do practice papers. I's beyond me why I want to avoid doing work by doing more work instead.

2. Is there any way I can snap myself out of this? It's a really bad habit because it means I end up staying up late at night, getting up early in the morning or forgoing lunch to get work done on type and even then it's probably below the level I'm capable of. Any tips on how I can persuade myself to stop revising (which is kind of ironic) are welcome. Literally anything.

ReputationRep:
    wow that's a pretty good habit if you ask me but it sounds like it's becoming an addiction like... you're a workaholic

i am a 'normal' procrastinator, but if i was forced to do work i'd do the work i want to do not the work i have to do - but that doesn't sound like your case.

Maybe you should see your GP, are you using your work as some kinda distraction from reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    wow that's a pretty good habit if you ask me but it sounds like it's becoming an addiction like... you're a workaholic

i am a 'normal' procrastinator, but if i was forced to do work i'd do the work i want to do not the work i have to do - but that doesn't sound like your case.

Maybe you should see your GP, are you using your work as some kinda distraction from reality?
    I wouldn't go as far as an addiction, because even I don't do work 24/7. I do try to keep in routine but it doesn't always happen and some days I outright ignore my revision timetable. I'm definitely not a workaholic.

I guess it started when I read a tip somewhere saying that if you really don't want to revise a certain topic, do something else you're more interested in - that way you're wasting time productively. I guess it just spread over to homework and now I'm in the mindset that I'm thinking "in the long run this is more useful to me than homework" even though I know that isn't always the case. I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm being a good student when I'm not. I need a (figurative) slap in the face to wake myself up.

PS: It's a good tip if unlike me you can keep it under control

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh_Ewe)
    Y'know when people are always joking about how they put off their work to the last minute because they want to watch Youtube, the latest episode of their favourite show, binge-watching FRIENDS re-runs or going out with actual friends? All while stressing about the work they should be doing but aren't? I'm sure we can all relate to that. Just looking at my student planner and coursework deadlines makes me want to cry a lil' bit.

What I want to know is 2 things.

1. Am I the only one who procrastinates homework by revising instead? I'll have a sheet on Othello for English due but instead of doing it I'll sit down and make notes on Photosynthesis or Hydrocarbons, or even do practice papers. I's beyond me why I want to avoid doing work by doing more work instead.

2. Is there any way I can snap myself out of this? It's a really bad habit because it means I end up staying up late at night, getting up early in the morning or forgoing lunch to get work done on type and even then it's probably below the level I'm capable of. Any tips on how I can persuade myself to stop revising (which is kind of ironic) are welcome. Literally anything.
    I do the exact same thing when I sit down to do my homework. I'd much rather revise or do a past paper because its easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandy16)
    I do the exact same thing when I sit down to do my homework. I'd much rather revise or do a past paper because its easier.
    I guess that answers why I do it. Now when I think about the two tasks, revision & homework, revision definitely is easier because it's just a case of reading over notes and learning things, whilst homework requires you to think a bit harder for what seems to be a kinda pointless reason (gosh, imagine having to think)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go as far as an addiction, because even I don't do work 24/7. I do try to keep in routine but it doesn't always happen and some days I outright ignore my revision timetable. I'm definitely not a workaholic.

I guess it started when I read a tip somewhere saying that if you really don't want to revise a certain topic, do something else you're more interested in - that way you're wasting time productively. I guess it just spread over to homework and now I'm in the mindset that I'm thinking "in the long run this is more useful to me than homework" even though I know that isn't always the case. I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm being a good student when I'm not. I need a (figurative) slap in the face to wake myself up.

PS: It's a good tip if unlike me you can keep it under control
    Well then I'll do the honour. Listen to me and listen GOOD. Okay what you are doing is POINTLESS - and it's NOT going to help you achieve your grades. IN FACT it's going to actually STOP you from achieving them! Do you WANT the grades? If you do, you have to do what is asked of you FIRST before you do other work. It's not set just for fun! If you really must, dedicate and hour and ONE HOUR ONLY to doing that (whatever it is you do). DO NOT LET IT CONTROL YOUR REVISION. STOP. You control IT. You need to find what's best for you and DO IT. FACE UP TO IT.

RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS ISN'T GONNA MAKE YOU SKINNY
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol i have no idea what i'm doing. tbh i think you're just behaving as a normal human would under this much stress. i know loads of people who do it, in fact i used to do it. Last year all i did was revise computing over and over again, neglecting all my other subjects just because I liked to do computing and I wanted to revise computing. In the end - obviously it didn't work and I didn't even get an A in computing lol. You'll be okay, whenever you get the urge, put an alarm on for half an hour or an hour later and make sure you STOP when it goes off. Close all your textbooks - don't even finish your sentence cos you'll just start another one - and just throw them in the drawer and leave the room, go chill for a second. Or make sure the only work you take home is the work you HAVE to do so you can't do anything else as the stuff you need would be at school.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that answers why I do it. Now when I think about the two tasks, revision & homework, revision definitely is easier because it's just a case of reading over notes and learning things, whilst homework requires you to think a bit harder for what seems to be a kinda pointless reason (gosh, imagine having to think)
    Yes, this. It forms the basis of the people you hear about who get a 1st at uni, yet are terrible when they enter the workplace.

Do the homework, it is a much better way to develop yourself than simply studying for an exam.

ReputationRep:
    that;s the thing about a levels though. you have to think, and in the actual thing you're gonna have to think. doesn't matter how many times you rewrite those notes, if you can't think and answer questions in the exam there's absolutely no point. atleast do the homework and textbook questions and past papers rather than notes! it's just a waste of time imo. i was never taught to think because i was spoonfed all throughout high school and now i'm being left to think for myself and i just wanna crawl back into the comfort of copying notes out from the book rather than just attempting and facing the questions head on. That's a mistake! We have to learn to think QUICK because we have like 6 months left and every hour is precious! BAI I HAVE TO DO MY BIO HWK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Well then I'll do the honour. Listen to me and listen GOOD. Okay what you are doing is POINTLESS - and it's NOT going to help you achieve your grades. IN FACT it's going to actually STOP you from achieving them! Do you WANT the grades? If you do, you have to do what is asked of you FIRST before you do other work. It's not set just for fun! If you really must, dedicate and hour and ONE HOUR ONLY to doing that (whatever it is you do). DO NOT LET IT CONTROL YOUR REVISION. STOP. You control IT. You need to find what's best for you and DO IT. FACE UP TO IT.

RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS ISN'T GONNA MAKE YOU SKINNY
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol i have no idea what i'm doing. tbh i think you're just behaving as a normal human would under this much stress. i know loads of people who do it, in fact i used to do it. Last year all i did was revise computing over and over again, neglecting all my other subjects just because I liked to do computing and I wanted to revise computing. In the end - obviously it didn't work and I didn't even get an A in computing lol. You'll be okay, whenever you get the urge, put an alarm on for half an hour or an hour later and make sure you STOP when it goes off. Close all your textbooks - don't even finish your sentence cos you'll just start another one - and just throw them in the drawer and leave the room, go chill for a second. Or make sure the only work you take home is the work you HAVE to do so you can't do anything else as the stuff you need would be at school.
    I thought I was in some sort of army training for a moment, lol. Made me laugh a little but it's fairly decent advice (well, the stuff in the spoiler is definitely). Alarms sound like a good thing, I use them already when revising (Pomodoro method ftw) so I'm pretty good at sticking to them. Also, TSR won't let me rep+1 another one of your posts but I tried to so yeah thanks :P

(Original post by z33)
    that;s the thing about a levels though. you have to think, and in the actual thing you're gonna have to think. doesn't matter how many times you rewrite those notes, if you can't think and answer questions in the exam there's absolutely no point. atleast do the homework and textbook questions and past papers rather than notes! it's just a waste of time imo. i was never taught to think because i was spoonfed all throughout high school and now i'm being left to think for myself and i just wanna crawl back into the comfort of copying notes out from the book rather than just attempting and facing the questions head on. That's a mistake! We have to learn to think QUICK because we have like 6 months left and every hour is precious! BAI I HAVE TO DO MY BIO HWK
    Thanks for the warning on A-levels then, I'm actually hoping to do Biology A-levels next year so I'll keep that in mind. It's similar-ish in GCSEs anyway, which is one of my main problems except in English - I have the knowledge, I just don't know what the eff the exam board wants me to do with it. I feel like a toddler trying to put a square block in the square hole on one of those weird game things, but at the wrong angle if that makes sense.

(Original post by LukeIsIt)
    Yes, this. It forms the basis of the people you hear about who get a 1st at uni, yet are terrible when they enter the workplace.

Do the homework, it is a much better way to develop yourself than simply studying for an exam.
    It's all fine and well saying that to me, I feel like I need a personal assistant to smack me around the head with a rolled up newspaper to keep me on track. I know everything I should be doing which makes me a massive hypocrite when helping my friends or cousin with their own GCSE revision / homework. I feel like I'm hiding behind a wall of lies, a wall of predicted grades that won't come true at this rate.

I know what you mean OP. My work has become a means of procrastinating too. The only way that I can think of is you can try to solve it by having a set time for each task you need to complete. By having a set time you put that restriction of completing the task before doing something else.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was in some sort of army training for a moment, lol. Made me laugh a little but it's fairly decent advice (well, the stuff in the spoiler is definitely). Alarms sound like a good thing, I use them already when revising (Pomodoro method ftw) so I'm pretty good at sticking to them. Also, TSR won't let me rep+1 another one of your posts but I tried to so yeah thanks :P
    Awh thanks for trying to rep me I'm glad it made you laugh and it was of some use to you haha - try it for a week and see how it goes I need to research this Pomodoro method and use it Anyway good luck!

Thanks for the warning on A-levels then, I'm actually hoping to do Biology A-levels next year so I'll keep that in mind. It's similar-ish in GCSEs anyway, which is one of my main problems except in English - I have the knowledge, I just don't know what the eff the exam board wants me to do with it. I feel like a toddler trying to put a square block in the square hole on one of those weird game things, but at the wrong angle if that makes sense.
    Tbh Biology shouldn't be too hard - I used my GCSE technique of note making and memorising the book and regurgitating it in the exam and that got me an A in unit 1 (92% ums) so it's all basically just knowledge. Plants are the devil, and A2 is more interesting that AS don't worry . That didn't work for Chemistry and Physics though haha.

Try reading the examiner reports - it basically tells you what the examiner wants you to do to get those marks! When you're doing a practice past paper question, actually sit there and write the essay FULLY as if you would in the exam, not in bullet point. Then get your teacher to mark it because chances are they've been examiners before and know what a good answer looks like! Yeah you are making sense and you'll get that feeling loads in A-level science, or A-levels in general especially if your examboard is OCR (those ****ers). I know what you mean when you say you feel like a hypocrite helping people out because that's what I do. I go around motivating and advising people but I'm actually demotivated myself and don't... practice what I preach if you will . Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Awh thanks for trying to rep me I'm glad it made you laugh and it was of some use to you haha - try it for a week and see how it goes I need to research this Pomodoro method and use it Anyway good luck!

Tbh Biology shouldn't be too hard - I used my GCSE technique of note making and memorising the book and regurgitating it in the exam and that got me an A in unit 1 (92% ums) so it's all basically just knowledge. Plants are the devil, and A2 is more interesting that AS don't worry . That didn't work for Chemistry and Physics though haha.

Try reading the examiner reports - it basically tells you what the examiner wants you to do to get those marks! When you're doing a practice past paper question, actually sit there and write the essay FULLY as if you would in the exam, not in bullet point. Then get your teacher to mark it because chances are they've been examiners before and know what a good answer looks like! Yeah you are making sense and you'll get that feeling loads in A-level science, or A-levels in general especially if your examboard is OCR (those ****ers). I know what you mean when you say you feel like a hypocrite helping people out because that's what I do. I go around motivating and advising people but I'm actually demotivated myself and don't... practice what I preach if you will . Good luck though!
    * hands you another imaginary rep+1 *
    I love you for that advice, hypocritical or otherwise Also, if you don't know yet the pomodoro method is my preferred way of working in sessions of short bursts. Every session is 25 mins followed by a 5 min break, & every 4th break is 15 mins approx. That's the basic form, you're free to adapt it obviously. There are plenty of phone apps or just use an ordinary timer.

ReputationRep:
    * hands you another imaginary rep+1 *
    I love you for that advice, hypocritical or otherwise Also, if you don't know yet the pomodoro method is my preferred way of working in sessions of short bursts. Every session is 25 mins followed by a 5 min break, & every 4th break is 15 mins approx. That's the basic form, you're free to adapt it obviously. There are plenty of phone apps or just use an ordinary timer.
    awh no problemo (can't rep you either now lol)
    That sounds like a good method! I do an hour and then half an hour break... it's not working though so i'll try that method maybe i'll concentrate more thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.