x Turn on thread page Beta

B886 - Local Government Re-Organisation Bill 2015 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B886 - Local Government Re-Organisation Bill 2015, TSR Government

LOCAL GOVERNMENT RE-ORGANISATION BILL 2015
    An Act to abolish district councils and introduce directly-elected municipal mayors
    BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: DEFINITIONS
    (1) “Ceremonial County” refers to the ceremonial counties of England and the preserved counties of Wales for the purposes of this Act, of which:
    (1) a. Greater Manchester, Merseyside, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear, West Midlands and West Yorkshire are “Existing Metropolitan Counties”; and
    (1) b. The remaining ceremonial counties are “Existing Non-Metropolitan Counties”;
    (1) c. With the exception of Greater London and the City of London, which will be merged to form a new “Greater London” county.

2: ABOLITION OF COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILS
    (1) The existing county, district and borough councils in existing non-metropolitan counties will be abolished.
    (1) a. Except where the existing council covers an identical area to the newly created one in Section 3.
    (2) The existing metropolitan borough and London borough councils will be abolished.

3: CREATION OF NEW COUNTY COUNCILS
    (1) New councils will be created for each of the ceremonial counties, with the exception of:
    (1) a. Greater London, where the London Assembly will fill the role of county council, and
    (1) b. Councils under 2(1)a where the existing council will take on the new powers.
    (2) These councils will be elected via the single transferable vote system of voting.
    (3) These councils will exercise powers in the following areas:
    (1) a. Education
    (1) b. Transport
    (1) c. Planning
    (1) d. Fire and public safety
    (1) e. Social care
    (1) f. Waste management
    (1) g. Trading standards

4: METROPOLITAN AND NON-METROPOLITAN COUNTIES
    (1) Bristol and South Glamorgan will be designated as metropolitan counties, in addition to the existing six.
    (2) Metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties will hold the same powers, but the council leaders will be named as follows:
    (1) a. In metropolitan counties the leader will have the title “Mayor” and can be assisted by one or more “Deputy Mayors”.
    (1) b. In non-metropolitan counties the leader will have the title “Council Premier” and can be assisted by one or more “Council Vice Premiers”.

5: ESTABLISHMENT OF A MUNICIPALITIES COMMISSION
    (1) The existing “parishes” of England and “communities” of Wales will be abolished.
    (2) A Municipalities Commission will be established.
    (1) a. This will convene every ten years, two years in advance of local elections.
    (3) The Municipalities Commission will initially set out, and review every ten years thereafter, municipalities for England and Wales.

6: INTRODUCTION OF DIRECTLY-ELECTED MAYORS
    (1) Each municipality will have a directly-elected mayor who will lead a municipal council.
    (2) The municipal mayor will be elected via the alternative vote system of voting, and the municipal council will be elected via the single transferable vote system of voting.
    (3) Municipal mayors will serve a five-year term, renewable once.
    (4) Municipal mayors will be exercise powers in the following areas, with the advice of the municipal council:
    (1) a. Rubbish collection
    (1) b. Recycling
    (1) c. Council tax collections
    (1) d. Housing
    (1) e. Planning applications
    (1) f. Libraries
    (5) The municipal council may overturn the ruling of the mayor by means of a two-thirds majority vote.
    (6) The municipal council may call a vote of no confidence in the mayor by means of a three-quarters majority vote, which will trigger a public vote of no confidence, following the method of a referendum, within the municipality.

7: LOCAL ELECTIONS
    (1) All county councils, municipal councils and municipal mayors will be elected on the first Thursday of May 2018 and every five years thereafter.
    (2) The existing local government arrangements will continue until the first local elections under this Act in 2018.

8: COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Local Government Re-organisation Act 2015.
    (2) This Act shall extend to England and Wales; and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately.

Notes
    This bill does a number of things:
    * Remove the two-tier council-district system currently in place across much of England in favour of traditional county councils in traditional counties.
    * Provide directly-elected mayors to towns and villages across England and Wales who will make local decisions locally.
    * Introduce AV and proportional representation to local elections in England and Wales, belatedly following its introduction in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

For reference:
    Ceremonial counties of England
    Preserved counties of Wales

ReputationRep:
    No, Nay, Never
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I might be mistaken, but did we (tories ) not try this last term, or was it merely pondered internally (Rakas21, i think it was you suggesting something similar )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I might be mistaken, but did we (tories ) not try this last term, or was it merely pondered internally (Rakas21, i think it was you suggesting something similar )
    I think it was pondered internally, I don't remember seeing anything from the Tories on this topic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Needless to say (as the author of this bill) that I support this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It was pondered internally - I remember asking for your party's opinion on the matter but they were mixed.

ReputationRep:
    Aye but:

- there shouldn't be vice mayors
    - a mayor should not be directly elected, FPTP should be used and whichever party has the most seats will have a member as mayor
    - Councils shouldn't have any influence on education, schools should be free to set their own curricular and the only requirements are those set by OFSTED, and targets set by the government
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Aye but:

- a mayor should not be directly elected, FPTP should be used and whichever party has the most seats will have a member as mayor
    - Councils shouldn't have any influence on education, schools should be free to set their own curricular and the only requirements are those set by OFSTED, and targets set by the government
    Thank you for the support, the government will carefully consider these suggestions when putting the bill to second reading/division.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye but:

If there's a coalition?

I think we fundamentally disagree on these two points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    If there's a coalition?
    Hence why FPTP should be used

I think we fundamentally disagree on these two points.
    I guess we do, but FPTP is a better system for strong and stable governance. It's really as simple as that. Schools should have maximum freedom and shouldn't be controlled by authorities, and that's my personal belief which is unlikely to change.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    FPTP is not used in London mayor elections IRL, it is unfair and STV should be used in its place.
    In this way there will still be a clear winner and even then there's no need for a 'vice mayor' or other rubbish.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Numbering needs fixing, as well as the vice mayor bit. Otherwise I quite like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the benefits?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Needless to say (as the author of this bill) that I support this.
    A good job too.
    AYE

(Don't nay without giving a credible reason)

ReputationRep:
    I would not support the Bill overall as it stands, but there are many things which I favour and so suggest that a second reading should be produced. I welcome PR in particular, and the inclusion of South Glamorgan and Bristol as Metropolitan areas- I would suggest the Portsmouth/Southampton area, Nottingham, Brighton and Hove and maybe Derby too.

I think that all environmental matters (waste management, recycling included) should be in one tier of authority, that skills and tourism be for the higher tier, and that there should be a default as to any current local authority power as to where it should go.

There should be a proposal regarding police- I would have some form of police committee instead of Police and Crime Commissioners, which in my view have been a waste.

Finally, some of the traditional counties are small enough to be single tier authorities- Worcestershire, Cornwall (perhaps), Rutland for example.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are parts I agree with and parts I don't argee with

For Example Parish Councils are small councils for a small village / town and works to serve and help the residents of theses villages , local people want to be involved in how their village is run and they want councils to listen to what they want improving if we abolish parish councils then I fear local residents will feel disengaged and their concerns / ideas won't nessercly get heard because a bigger council that covers a larger area has to worry about bigger more important things so I'm going to abstain
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hence why FPTP should be used

I guess we do, but FPTP is a better system for strong and stable governance. It's really as simple as that. Schools should have maximum freedom and shouldn't be controlled by authorities, and that's my personal belief which is unlikely to change.
    FPTP does not guarantee there won't be a coalition.

(Original post by DMcGovern)
    FPTP is not used in London mayor elections IRL, it is unfair and STV should be used in its place.
    In this way there will still be a clear winner and even then there's no need for a 'vice mayor' or other rubbish.
    There will only be vice-mayors in metropolitan counties, where a "parliamentary" system will continue to be used.

There will only be the one municipal mayor.

(Original post by hazzer1998)
    There are parts I agree with and parts I don't argee with

For Example Parish Councils are small councils for a small village / town and works to serve and help the residents of theses villages , local people want to be involved in how their village is run and they want councils to listen to what they want improving if we abolish parish councils then I fear local residents will feel disengaged and their concerns / ideas won't nessercly get heard because a bigger council that covers a larger area has to worry about bigger more important things so I'm going to abstain
    I'm not expecting most new municipalities to be much bigger, and would expect anything the size of a medium-sized village or bigger to be its own municipality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.