The Student Room Group

any treatment for acne

i have for about 17 years now suffered from acne on my face i am now 30 and i have tried all sorts of creams and been to see a doctor but nothing i have tried has been successful could someone please tell me if there is any treatment out their
Reply 1
Original post by james mead
i have for about 17 years now suffered from acne on my face i am now 30 and i have tried all sorts of creams and been to see a doctor but nothing i have tried has been successful could someone please tell me if there is any treatment out their

I've had success with Zynarett for mild acne and some people find natural scrubs and cleansers help as well as diet and lifestyle changes. Sounds like your condition is rather stubborn though.
I am aware of at least one medication (tablets) existing to treat it, but it has some rather nasty potential side effects and I personally wouldn't advise taking it based on my knowledge of it. Still if one type of tablet exists i'm sure others do. Talk to your dr about a referral to a dermatologist? They will know more about treatments (and be able to prescribe things a normal gp may not be able to).

There are other types of treatment so just keep searching. :smile:
Had you tried duac?
Reply 3
If you eat a lot of dairy products try reducing your dairy intake I've heard a lot of people say this helps clear up their acne even if you just stop having dairy for a couple of weeks And seeing if this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Google 'home-made oat face mask' it has a calming effect on acne and actually works. Also take multi-vitamins and fish oil for multiple reasons and drink PLENTY of water 2-3 litres a day!
Lymecycline works for me, I have bad cystic acne but this seems to always clear up my skin. :smile:
Accutane is great, the problem is that the NHS prescribe it in way too large doses. They start you off on 30mg a day and gradually increase to double that or even more, dependent on your bodyweight. There's an increasing number of studies and evidence to prove that lower doses are just as effective as these higher doses and "diminishing returns" (when no further benefit is seen beyond a certain dose, only more severe side effects) occur at a pretty low dose of about 20-30mg. I was on prescribed accutane in the past about 5 years ago, and 30mg a day gave me dry and cracked lips and flaky skin that was sun-sensitive. As the dose was increased, I experienced extreme lethargy and severe depression, just used to lay in bed and burst into tears for no reason, totally wasn't myself. It cleared up the acne temporarily, but it returned, albeit not as bad. I tried another course and had the same thing happen.

I'm still acne prone now, and to be totally honest I've been self-prescribing accutane for a while now. I took one tablet every other day for a while and it seriously cleared my skin up without all the side effects. Now I take one tablet every Monday and Friday as a maintenance dose to prevent my skin from producing too much oil, and it just works with no side effects whatsoever. I've had private blood tests done to ensure my liver function, lipids and general health are okay and it's all absolutely fine. Sad state of affairs when I can treat my own acne more efficiently than a qualified dermatologist.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Accutane is great, the problem is that the NHS prescribe it in way too large doses. They start you off on 30mg a day and gradually increase to double that or even more, dependent on your bodyweight. There's an increasing number of studies and evidence to prove that lower doses are just as effective as these higher doses and "diminishing returns" (when no further benefit is seen beyond a certain dose, only more severe side effects) occur at a pretty low dose of about 20-30mg. I was on prescribed accutane in the past about 5 years ago, and 30mg a day gave me dry and cracked lips and flaky skin that was sun-sensitive. As the dose was increased, I experienced extreme lethargy and severe depression, just used to lay in bed and burst into tears for no reason, totally wasn't myself. It cleared up the acne temporarily, but it returned, albeit not as bad. I tried another course and had the same thing happen.

I'm still acne prone now, and to be totally honest I've been self-prescribing accutane for a while now. I took one tablet every other day for a while and it seriously cleared my skin up without all the side effects. Now I take one tablet every Monday and Friday as a maintenance dose to prevent my skin from producing too much oil, and it just works with no side effects whatsoever. I've had private blood tests done to ensure my liver function, lipids and general health are okay and it's all absolutely fine. Sad state of affairs when I can treat my own acne more efficiently than a qualified dermatologist.

Its all to do with the dosage. 20mg will work just as well as 40/60mg. The only difference being you'll just be on the drug longer if you take 20, compared to 40, 60 ect. Obviously the higher dosage will bring more side effects.
Reply 8
I've used dalacin which has really helped me and my sisters when we all had acne!

Quick Reply

Latest