The Student Room Group

University of Sussex vs Kent vs Eseex

I'm having a hard time making a decision between these three for my first choice so I'm hoping current students or anyone with knowledge and opinions on these universities could help me see a clearer idea of what these universities are like. I currently seem to have a slight preference to Essex because I really enjoyed their open day but they are slightly lower in rankings.
Hello,
I currently study at the University of Essex and have previously studied at the University of Kent but I changed universities.
What subject are you looking to study?

I really enjoy studying at the University of Essex (I study Psychology) and although for some subjects it is slightly lower in the rankings I think it makes up for it in other aspects.
I personally would recommend coming to Essex.

Feel free to ask me any questions,
Natalie.
Reply 2
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I currently study at the University of Essex and have previously studied at the University of Kent but I changed universities.
What subject are you looking to study?

I really enjoy studying at the University of Essex (I study Psychology) and although for some subjects it is slightly lower in the rankings I think it makes up for it in other aspects.
I personally would recommend coming to Essex.

Feel free to ask me any questions,
Natalie.

Hey thanks for replying. Im looking to study computer science. I must admit i was really won over by the the open day at Essex and can see what you mean by when you say its good in other aspects. I suppose i would like to ask how your experience at kent was, is it a social place with things to do and whats the general vibe like. Also why did you leave kent for essex. Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by rob_theboss
Hey thanks for replying. Im looking to study computer science. I must admit i was really won over by the the open day at Essex and can see what you mean by when you say its good in other aspects. I suppose i would like to ask how your experience at kent was, is it a social place with things to do and whats the general vibe like. Also why did you leave kent for essex. Thanks for your help :smile:

Hello,
I studied English Literature at Kent and didn't enjoy the course but that was mainly because I felt I had picked the wrong course. I then decided to study Paychology and was considering going back to Kent for it but instead chose Essex.
Kent is a lovely university but I found there wasn't much to do socially. At Essex there are a lot more gigs and events going on. There is a nightclub at Kent that puts on events but other than that there wasn't that many events put on by the SU.

Hope that helps,
Natalie.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I studied English Literature at Kent and didn't enjoy the course but that was mainly because I felt I had picked the wrong course. I then decided to study Paychology and was considering going back to Kent for it but instead chose Essex.
Kent is a lovely university but I found there wasn't much to do socially. At Essex there are a lot more gigs and events going on. There is a nightclub at Kent that puts on events but other than that there wasn't that many events put on by the SU.

Hope that helps,
Natalie.

Yeah what you're saying is pretty much backing up the assumption i made on my campus tour there. As much as i think kent is the highest ranked and my best chance of getting a good job, i know that a good social life and other activities will be vital in determing what i achieve. I may attend a open day they have coming up which should hopefully give me some clarity. Thanks for your honest opinion, you were a big help.
Original post by rob_theboss
Yeah what you're saying is pretty much backing up the assumption i made on my campus tour there. As much as i think kent is the highest ranked and my best chance of getting a good job, i know that a good social life and other activities will be vital in determing what i achieve. I may attend a open day they have coming up which should hopefully give me some clarity. Thanks for your honest opinion, you were a big help.

That's alright!
Also, at Essex I have regular employability classes and there is lots of help to find internships. I managed to find an internship in my first year which I don't think I could have done if I was at another university. I am unsure if Kent offers employability classes but when I was studying there I didn't have any classes like that.
An open day is a great idea, especially to talk to the students about their opinions of the uni.
Glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending