Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not enjoying uni so far, drop out and start over? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

so basically im nearly 2 months into uni, and am not enjoying it at all. I have not made many friends, (only 2 who I only see once a week) and im already falling behind in terms of work because im just not feeling happy here.
    I think part of the problem was my accommodation. I am in catered accommodation, and in freshers i was very homesick and didnt really go out with my flatmates. We dont have a shared communal space either so there is literally no way to meet them or see them.
    I have joined societies etc but havent really found any friends from them, and I get on with my course mates but they generally go out with their flats and are moving in with their flatmates next year.
    I am feeling increasingly unhappy and demotivated and feel like starting again elsewhere, but I dont know if I should just stick it out or drop out and start over next September.
    What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    if its really affecting your studies, and your'e not enjoying the University life and you just dont wana be there no one can stop you from doing so. There was a guy from my school who dropped out of uni and reapplied the following year because he didn't enjoy the environment he was in and now hes extremely happy. I mean there are pros and cons to dropping out. If you drop out, thats a year of your life gone, you'll graduate a year later. Also its always a risk reapplying as it may not get better the second time. And also reapplying may affect your ability to perform as well as the information from your a levels will be less fresh in your mind if you drop out and start again the following year. However dropping out can give you a fresh mindset and give you the ability to try again fresh and make new friends. It may even help you perform better (soz for the contradiction) as if your happy, your mindset would also be happy and you'd be more willing to study. Theres a lot to consider and i do apologise if i am quite vague, but if i was in your position i'd try to make more of an effort to make friends with my flatmates. Its still early days and they would have known eachother for only a few months so there is still a window of opportunity. If you are not by any means able to make friends and you really think you can't cope with the environment, along with the fact that it is affecting your ability to work and study hard, you should drop out and hope for a fresh start. There's no point doing a degree and you're not performing well in it. Its better to take the year out and perform better in it imo.
    Any questions pop me a message if ya like and sorry if i do sound quite vague :L
    best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply yeah im going to try and get to know them better, and im going to stay until the holiday starts before I make any decision just so theres some time. I assume reapplying somewhere else would mean a new UCAS application?
    (Original post by kamranhyder)
    if its really affecting your studies, and your'e not enjoying the University life and you just dont wana be there no one can stop you from doing so. There was a guy from my school who dropped out of uni and reapplied the following year because he didn't enjoy the environment he was in and now hes extremely happy. I mean there are pros and cons to dropping out. If you drop out, thats a year of your life gone, you'll graduate a year later. Also its always a risk reapplying as it may not get better the second time. And also reapplying may affect your ability to perform as well as the information from your a levels will be less fresh in your mind if you drop out and start again the following year. However dropping out can give you a fresh mindset and give you the ability to try again fresh and make new friends. It may even help you perform better (soz for the contradiction) as if your happy, your mindset would also be happy and you'd be more willing to study. Theres a lot to consider and i do apologise if i am quite vague, but if i was in your position i'd try to make more of an effort to make friends with my flatmates. Its still early days and they would have known eachother for only a few months so there is still a window of opportunity. If you are not by any means able to make friends and you really think you can't cope with the environment, along with the fact that it is affecting your ability to work and study hard, you should drop out and hope for a fresh start. There's no point doing a degree and you're not performing well in it. Its better to take the year out and perform better in it imo.
    Any questions pop me a message if ya like and sorry if i do sound quite vague :L
    best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonjm)
    Thanks for the reply yeah im going to try and get to know them better, and im going to stay until the holiday starts before I make any decision just so theres some time. I assume reapplying somewhere else would mean a new UCAS application?
    yeh if you are reapplying you would need to submit a new ucas application, let your sixth form know, references etc will all need to be done again, and i believe you cant use the same ps as it'll come up as plagiarised, i think...

Any problems pop me a message as i went through a reapplication process

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.