Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have applied to 30+ jobs on NHS website and so far have not landed a single interview.
    I've just recently found out that most jobs require the applicant to use 'sub-headings' in the supporting information section to demonstrate how they meet all of the points mentioned in person specification.
    I tend to write my covering letters in form of essays with short paragraphs and so far haven't used subheadings in my cover letters. could this be the reason why I haven't got any interviews ?
    In my supporting information I make sure to include everything asked for in the person specification.
    I thought that if I write with sub-headings it will make my cover letter un-attractive and linear. to be honest I have never seen a cover letter with sub-headings.
    Please can someone help me and shed some light as I'm desperate to land a job and been out of work for the past 4 months.Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If any formatting advice is given follow it. Any CL that does not follow it will go in the bin. Mostly such requirements are completely arbitrary and just used to quickly tell who cares enough to have read the application guidelines and who is likely to just be throwing in a drive-by application. The NHS is famously underfunded and I should hope at least they aren't wasting too much money on HR staff to pore over every application. Follow the advice: it's a poor show if your excellent specification-following content isn't being read because of some formatting oversight.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info.
    I will give it one more try, this time with sub-headings regardless of how redicolous it might make my cover letter look.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've never applied on NHS jobs using sub-headings, or seen an advert requesting it. If the application guidance specifies it then do so, otherwise it shouldn't make any difference as long as you include the relevant information. Sometimes it just takes a long time, especially if you are applying to entry level roles (which I'm guessing you are).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't use a cover letter on NHS jobs, stop calling it that. Supporting information is just that, supports how you meet the person specification. So go through the person specification and say how you meet each point, the easiest way to do this is by grouping them in sections and doing it like that.

If you're trying to do a standard cover letter you've no hope at all, applications are scored against the job specification so make it easy to see how you meet it all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I do go through the person specification and make sure I demonstrate how I meet all the criteria, whoever I do not do it in the same order as mentioned in person specification. The reason is that if I do it in that order then I will have to repeat so many things.

I expect the people working in HR to be literate enough to pickup the points mentioned in my supporting information and mark against the criteria regardless of what order they are in as long as I meet all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slash246)
    Thanks for the reply. I do go through the person specification and make sure I demonstrate how I meet all the criteria, whoever I do not do it in the same order as mentioned in person specification. The reason is that if I do it in that order then I will have to repeat so many things.

I expect the people working in HR to be literate enough to pickup the points mentioned in my supporting information and mark against the criteria regardless of what order they are in as long as I meet all of them.
    That's presuming HR do it, in my experience it's the team the role is for and they'll be very busy doing their day jobs as well. It doesn't have to be in the order, but grouped together in sections and making it clear will make it much easier to score you.

ReputationRep:
    You also need to sell yourself in the supporting information, generally pretty early on. Explain why you want to work in that department, what skills you have that you can bring to the department that would set you apart from all the other candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    You also need to sell yourself in the supporting information, generally pretty early on. Explain why you want to work in that department, what skills you have that you can bring to the department that would set you apart from all the other candidates.
    Relevant skills, I've seen people mention taking wedding photos etc. in their supporting information, it was nothing related to the role.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Relevant skills, I've seen people mention taking wedding photos etc. in their supporting information, it was nothing related to the role.
    You can make taking wedding photos relevant. It's all about what you can show from what you've put.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very surprised if the reason you haven't got any interviews yet is because of not using sub-headings. Certainly I have always written in full paragraphs, not sub-headings, and I have been offered interviews.

You say you're making sure to demonstrate that you meet the person specification, which is the most essential part - how are you stating that you meet the criteria? Make sure that you do use specific examples to demonstrate those criteria - that is, don't just write 'I have good communication skills', give examples or show how you have those skills and experience.

Can you give a basic guideline of what your supporting statements say? (Like an outline of them, without going into the specifics of each part, if you see what I mean).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy_Holidays)
    You can make taking wedding photos relevant. It's all about what you can show from what you've put.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't disagree, if you can do it well, but the amount of junk applications I have to sift through it doesn't work in a lot of cases. Tell me what you do in your current role that is relevant to this role. I don't need a paragraph about how someone you knew was in an accident once and the hospital staff were really nice and it inspired you to work in healthcare. That doesn't tell me how your skills will work for me.

And don't even get me started on the people who put a really short generic cover letter that ends with please see my CV attached, when we don't even accept CV's and you can't attach one.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.