Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I work in a fast food restaurant as part of a team of people that do the vast majority of our work amongst customers and children at the front of the store. Most of us rarely go behind the counter to actually work with the food as we aren't trained to do so. The closest we get to handling food is taking out pre-bagged food out to customers in cars. We arn't involved in any food preparation whatsoever

We had a meeting today and we were told that all long hair has to be up in buns now apparently because 'it's unfair that staff behind the counter can't wear their hair in pony tails'

There is no company policy that says customer workers have to have their hair nor is there any valid health and safety reason for it. Its literally just come up today.

I don't know if I posted in the right place; apologies if it's in the wrong place

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? Is it that much of an issue? You'll have an easier life if you just do it.

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Does it matter? Is it that much of an issue? You'll have an easier life if you just do it.
    I have dyspraxia and aspergers; I find it quite difficult and time consuming to do fiddly things involving fine motor skills. I'm quite happy with my hair in a ponytail thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have dyspraxia and aspergers; I find it quite difficult and time consuming to do fiddly things involving fine motor skills. I'm quite happy with my hair in a ponytail thank you very much
    Did you raise that issue with your manager?

To be honest, his reasoning seems stupid. It's just a case of whether it's worth fighting the battle.

Did you raise that issue with your manager?

To be honest, his reasoning seems stupid. It's just a case of whether it's worth fighting the battle.
    She knows I have disabilities.

Is she micro-managing us?

She said either that or put in a plait which I would be physically incapable of considering time restraints and poor motor skills.

The staff behind the counter have to wear a hairnet for the obvious reason that hair will get into the food and it will be a hygiene issue. Considering none of us ever work with food why should we have to?

ReputationRep:
    She knows I have disabilities.

Is she micro-managing us?

She said either that or put in a plait which I would be physically incapable of considering time restraints and poor motor skills.

The staff behind the counter have to wear a hairnet for the obvious reason that hair will get into the food and it will be a hygiene issue. Considering none of us ever work with food why should we have to?
    I'm not sure that setting a uniform policy counts as micromanagement.

If you haven't raised this specific issue with your manager, I would do that. It might just not have occurred to her that you would have particular difficulty with it, even if she does know that you have some disabilities.

If you're asking whether the policy is unjustified, I would say that it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to get away with not following it. Unfortunately your manager is in a position of authority over you, so you're going to have to confront her about it at some point if it's a problem for you.

I'm not sure that setting a uniform policy counts as micromanagement.

If you haven't raised this specific issue with your manager, I would do that. It might just not have occurred to her that you would have particular difficulty with it, even if she does know that you have some disabilities.

If you're asking whether the policy is unjustified, I would say that it is, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to get away with not following it. Unfortunately your manager is in a position of authority over you, so you're going to have to confront her about it at some point if it's a problem for you.

It just seems like a stupid reason to me, personally, that's all. The people behind the counter have a good reason to keep their hair up, we don't.

It just seems like a stupid reason to me, personally, that's all. The people behind the counter have a good reason to keep their hair up, we don't.

I have enough issues with stress and time management already due to my disability and academic workload, I don't need extra stress when I'm getting ready

ReputationRep:
    Other people cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of your disability which is not well known. You must therefore let the manager know. Employers are scared stiff of equalities legislation so if she has any sense she will allow you dispensation

ReputationRep:
    I think if theres any risk of hair going on food, then it is necessary to take precautions, even if the risk is very little

ReputationRep:
    You work in place which serves food. You on occasions go in to a food prep area, there fore your hair need to be in a bun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    seems unfair to me, it's perfectly understandable that there are different dress requirements for staff handling food

that said, if your manager says it then you're just gonna have to suck it up and do it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.