Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is anxiety? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People always talk about anxiety and being anxious, but what do they mean? How do they feel when they have anxiety?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me you've never been scared or afraid or fearful of anything people take for granted OP...

ReputationRep:
    It depends. When people say they have anxiety issues that could mean they suffer from social anxiety which would make them come across as shy etc, they could have generalised anxiety disorder which means they are anxious and worrying about anything and everything pretty much constantly, they could have panic attacks, OCD or they could just be a little anxious in that moment, as everyone will suffer some anxiety at some situations in their life.

Anxiety symptoms range from minor to almost debilitating and it depends on what is causing the anxiety. If its because of something like you're waiting in the dentists waiting room or about to sit an exam - you might feel your stomach churning, feel sick, feel the urge to go to the toilet, dry mouth, can't stop fidgeting and the symptoms should go away as soon as that situation is over but if you have an anxiety disorder you will have symptoms like that but also more severe symptoms such as depersonalization, derealization, palpitations, feeling of impending death or doom, feel you need to escape quickly and these can last 24/7 or come in waves throughout the day. Either way, whether you are experiencing anxiety due to a situation you are scared of or because you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms are horrible but in no way dangerous, no matter how severe or horrible they may feel. Took me forever to accept that they were only uncomfortable not dangerous and they are actually there to keep me alive, not to harm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    It depends. When people say they have anxiety issues that could mean they suffer from social anxiety which would make them come across as shy etc, they could have generalised anxiety disorder which means they are anxious and worrying about anything and everything pretty much constantly, they could have panic attacks, OCD or they could just be a little anxious in that moment, as everyone will suffer some anxiety at some situations in their life.

Anxiety symptoms range from minor to almost debilitating and it depends on what is causing the anxiety. If its because of something like you're waiting in the dentists waiting room or about to sit an exam - you might feel your stomach churning, feel sick, feel the urge to go to the toilet, dry mouth, can't stop fidgeting and the symptoms should go away as soon as that situation is over but if you have an anxiety disorder you will have symptoms like that but also more severe symptoms such as depersonalization, derealization, palpitations, feeling of impending death or doom, feel you need to escape quickly and these can last 24/7 or come in waves throughout the day. Either way, whether you are experiencing anxiety due to a situation you are scared of or because you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms are horrible but in no way dangerous, no matter how severe or horrible they may feel. Took me forever to accept that they were only uncomfortable not dangerous and they are actually there to keep me alive, not to harm me.
    I was going to write something there's no point now, just read this
    :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.