What is anxiety? Watch

william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
People always talk about anxiety and being anxious, but what do they mean? How do they feel when they have anxiety?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tell me you've never been scared or afraid or fearful of anything people take for granted OP...
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends. When people say they have anxiety issues that could mean they suffer from social anxiety which would make them come across as shy etc, they could have generalised anxiety disorder which means they are anxious and worrying about anything and everything pretty much constantly, they could have panic attacks, OCD or they could just be a little anxious in that moment, as everyone will suffer some anxiety at some situations in their life.

Anxiety symptoms range from minor to almost debilitating and it depends on what is causing the anxiety. If its because of something like you're waiting in the dentists waiting room or about to sit an exam - you might feel your stomach churning, feel sick, feel the urge to go to the toilet, dry mouth, can't stop fidgeting and the symptoms should go away as soon as that situation is over but if you have an anxiety disorder you will have symptoms like that but also more severe symptoms such as depersonalization, derealization, palpitations, feeling of impending death or doom, feel you need to escape quickly and these can last 24/7 or come in waves throughout the day. Either way, whether you are experiencing anxiety due to a situation you are scared of or because you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms are horrible but in no way dangerous, no matter how severe or horrible they may feel. Took me forever to accept that they were only uncomfortable not dangerous and they are actually there to keep me alive, not to harm me.
Darien91
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
It depends. When people say they have anxiety issues that could mean they suffer from social anxiety which would make them come across as shy etc, they could have generalised anxiety disorder which means they are anxious and worrying about anything and everything pretty much constantly, they could have panic attacks, OCD or they could just be a little anxious in that moment, as everyone will suffer some anxiety at some situations in their life.

Anxiety symptoms range from minor to almost debilitating and it depends on what is causing the anxiety. If its because of something like you're waiting in the dentists waiting room or about to sit an exam - you might feel your stomach churning, feel sick, feel the urge to go to the toilet, dry mouth, can't stop fidgeting and the symptoms should go away as soon as that situation is over but if you have an anxiety disorder you will have symptoms like that but also more severe symptoms such as depersonalization, derealization, palpitations, feeling of impending death or doom, feel you need to escape quickly and these can last 24/7 or come in waves throughout the day. Either way, whether you are experiencing anxiety due to a situation you are scared of or because you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms are horrible but in no way dangerous, no matter how severe or horrible they may feel. Took me forever to accept that they were only uncomfortable not dangerous and they are actually there to keep me alive, not to harm me.
I was going to write something there's no point now, just read this
:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads