Using y - y_1 = m(x - x_1):

y + 7 = \frac{1}{2}(x - 7)

y + 7 = \frac{1}{2}x - \frac{7}{2}

2y + 14 = x - 7

x - 2y - 21 = 0

But the answer is:

x + 2y + 7 = 0

ReputationRep:
    Do u know how to do implicit differentiation ?

ReputationRep:
    I got dy/dx to be sqrt((7/2)x)^-(1/2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Do u know how to do implicit differentiation ?
    Haven't done C4 yet. 😡

ReputationRep:
    When u square root both sides. On the right side, its +-√7x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Big_E)
    x
    You'd have been much better off using implicit differentiation but your error is square rooting both sides and taking the positive square root. As you can see, x=7 \Rightarrow y^2 = 49 \Rightarrow y = \pm \sqrt{49} but more so, you need to take the negative square root because you can see that you need y=-7 from the point given hence

\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = -\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2\sqrt{x}}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You'd have been much better off using implicit differentiation but your error is square rooting both sides and taking the positive square root. As you can see, x=7 \Rightarrow y^2 = 49 \Rightarrow y = \pm \sqrt{49} but more so, you need to take the negative square root because you can see that you need y=-7 from the point given hence

\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = -\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2\sqrt{x}}
    I'll try learn implicit differentiation, but how do you know when to use the negative or positive gradient function with this method?

ReputationRep:
    I'll try learn implicit differentiation, but how do you know when to use the negative or positive gradient function with this method?
    Like I said, because you can see that from the point they've given you, x=7 means y=-7, note the minus. Hence you take the negative square root.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with implicit differentiation - even if you haven't learnt C4, often it's a much simpler way to tackle the coordinate geometry you meet in FP1. Look through the C4 book if you've got it or take a look at this video: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-1.php
    It's pretty simple.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    This is a common problem : students doing FP1 before C4 and tackling problems that are best done using implicit differentiation,

I would always recommed a sketch which should show whether to use the positive or negative square root.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Your first reaction when seeing something like

y^2 = 7x

should be to try sketching the corresponding curve and asking yourself "is it possible to write y = f(x)?" where f(x) is a function. In this case the answer is obviously "no" because for any point on the curve (except the vertex) there are 2 y-values for every x-value.

The 'top half' of the curve can be described by the function

y = \sqrt{7x}

and the 'bottom half' can be described by the function

y = -\sqrt{7x}

In your case, you should have taken the 2nd option because the point you are given (7, -7) lies on that curve, but not on the 1st one!

Implicit differentiation will get you to the answer very quickly. Alternatively, see my note to notnek below

(Original post by notnek)
    This is a common problem : students doing FP1 before C4 and tackling problems that are best done using implicit differentiation,

I would always recommed a sketch which should show whether to use the positive or negative square root.
    If you have a choice of techniques then implicit differentiation is certainly the neatest IMHO.

But you can also do this question by pretending it's a C1 'tangent to a circle' question - let y = mx + c be the equation of the tangent. Because P(7, -7) lies on the tangent and curve we know that -7 = 7m + c or c = -7(m+1).

Putting y = mx + c into y^2 = 7x gives us the quadratic

m^2x^2 + (2cm - 7)x + c^2 = 0

and since we require equal roots we need the discriminant to be 0 i.e.

(2cm - 7)^2 = 4m^2c^2

Expanding the LHS we can cancel the m^2c^2 term and set c = -7(m + 1) leaving us with the nice quadratic 4m^2 + 4m + 1 = 0 which leads to m = -1/2 and hence c = -7/2.

Tidying up the fractions gives us 2y + x + 7 = 0 as required

ReputationRep:
    it's easier to find dx/dy in this case. then dy/dx you just turn it upside down ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it's easier to find dx/dy in this case. then dy/dx you just turn it upside down ?
    That is actually quite a bit neater and nicer than the other methods proposed here (mine included).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I believe finding dx/dy is on the C3 spec, so chances are the OP hasn't done it. I do agree that it's the easiest method to pick up on, though - takes about a minute to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I believe finding dx/dy is on the C3 spec, so chances are the OP hasn't done it. I do agree that it's the easiest method to pick up on, though - takes about a minute to learn
    Hi,
    I'll soon be studying FP1.
    Is there any other topics in FP1, that C3/C4 concepts can assist in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAndCompSci)
    Hi,
    I'll soon be studying FP1.
    Is there any other topics in FP1, that C3/C4 concepts can assist in?
    Nope, I don't think so. It's only implicit differentiation. C3 iteration techniques (numerical methods in the book) are related to numerical methods in FP1 but the questions aren't similar.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't think so. It's only implicit differentiation. C3 iteration techniques (numerical methods in the book) are related to numerical methods in FP1 but the questions aren't similar.
    I've got no idea what the spec is like, but trapezium rule thingy for integral estimates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I've got no idea what the spec is like, but trapezium rule thingy for integral estimates?
    Trapezium rule appears only in C2 and C4 (and oddly has shown up in M3 as well...) usually. Integration isn't tested in FP1 but can be to a C2 level, which could include the trapezium rule. Very very unlikely though

ReputationRep:
    Trapezium rule appears only in C2 and C4 (and oddly has shown up in M3 as well...) usually. Integration isn't tested in FP1 but can be to a C2 level, which could include the trapezium rule. Very very unlikely though
    Ah, I must have seen it in a C4 paper then, thought I saw it pop up in my FP1 mock yesterday, must have been mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you, learned implicit differentiation and it really made things easier. Thanks everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.